Dashboard support

Patrick

• Platinum Member

Recently I noticed my dashboard,  near the radio on the passenger side was about 1/4” proud of the adjacent dashboard to the left. I noticed that the mounting screw that fits through a hole in the small tray on top of the dashboard was missing.

Good news was that Andy Bonner (Jeepey.com) kindly sent me one.

Shock. The hole in the tray was just that. A hole. I removed the dashboard to find that there’s no bracket or anything to which a screw might have fitted.

Attached pic shows the top of the radio but there’s nothing there like a bracket.

Could somebody with a late model JKU - mine’s a 2017 JKUR - take a look and maybe send a photo? That would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Patrick

299c30ac743363ebbf467e88eaca268d.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attached pic shows the top of the radio but there’s nothing there like a bracket.

Could somebody with a late model JKU - mine’s a 2017 JKUR - take a look and maybe send a photo? That would be really helpful....

Patrick,

The bracket you are missing does 2 things. It locates and holds the back of the OEM radio and acts as the fixing for the screw you are missing.

When fitting your Kenwood unit the lower part of the bracket stops the radio going all the way back.

This means that you can either trim the bracket on each side just below the bolts that hold it in place, so that you can screw the top of the dash down.

Or as has happened with your instal, you can remove the bracket and the dash may be loose.

I suspect that the guys that installed your radio took the second option.

You can see the bracket in my picture and I trimmed it on each side to remove the lower portion and retain the upper mount for the dash. But that's my OCD coming out, or should I say CDO.......

You might be lucky and it's still in somebody's workshop and you can get it trimmed and reinstalled to hold the top of the dash in place.

It also looks like the front of the radio is holding up the plastic bar that crosses the gap in the dash, to get the dash to sit correctly some of this needs to be trimmed allowing the front bar to sit horizontal. Again CDO....

IMG_0259.thumb.JPG.da231ab7053d7c749dd3caccc99f98c2.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thanks Neal. I spoke with the installers, but they did the work back in May and no longer have the parts.

I’m visiting Yorkshire later in the year, so I’ll probably pop in to Andy Bonner’s shop in Hull and see what he has laying around.

Thanks for the picture Neal

Thanks Neal. I spoke with the installers, but they did the work back in May and no longer have the parts.

I’m visiting Yorkshire later in the year, so I’ll probably pop in to Andy Bonner’s shop in Hull and see what he has laying around.

Thanks for the picture Neal

Patrick, no problem, glad the pic helps.

• Platinum Member

Cartronics at Brooklands. They’re very good usually. I’ve used them several times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk