Leaking oil filter on 4.0 six

Fourpot

• Platinum Member

I've had a persistent oil leak ever since I had my 1998 Cherokee 4.0 XJ a year ago.  Oil dripping from the back of the engine down the front of the transmission. Anyway, after replacing the rear main oil seal twice and the sump gasket three times (experiential learning thing here), I've finally sorted it. Hurrah!

Now that all is dry down there, I have spotted a slight weep of oil from the oil filter. I'd eliminated the adapter from being the source of the original drippy leak but it looked as though it was now coming from the oil filter seal where it screws onto the adapter, so I wiped it clean and drove for several miles, same thing. So, as the filter was very new, I unscrewed it, checked the rubber seal, cleaned it up and put it back on again just a little hand-tighter than last time.

Looking carefully, it seems as though the leak is from the actual filter, i.e. from where the painted 'case' is fixed to the steel pressing that has the screw thread in it.

Now. I don't pump a lot of iron and I ain't on the 'roids or anything, but is it possible to over-tighten a filter just by hand to the point where it starts to come apart? I'm not convinced I even reached the stated 3/4 to 1 turn from initial seal contact. Maybe, as it's been screwed on, unscrewed and then screwed on again, it's been too much for it? (It's a Crown filter.) I'm going to keep a close eye on it to be certain, but I think a new filter will be needed.

Anyone had this happen?

• Platinum Member

Did you smear a bit of oil on the rubber seal before screwing it on?  If put on 'dry' they can weep.

• Platinum Member

I did put some oil on it, but it's not the seal that's weeping it's the manufacturers joint between the two bits of metal that make up the filter itself. The join between the painted bit and the bare metal bit.

I've replaced the filter now and it's cured it.