My 75th JKU is getting some minor mods

simon.meadows

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Hi everyone, I am trying to upgrade the capability of my 75th Anniversary JKU but keep the original look where I can. Since joining Jeep Owners Club, Angie and I have the off-roading bug and need to make sure we get the most from our JKU.

The first item was to get a 2inch tow hitch fitted. This involved moving the license plate and cutting the bottom off the stock bumper - very neatly. Getting the electrics done was the difficult item but a local auto-electrician got it done in the end and all works fine. I had a 2 inch drop for the ball and should have gone for a 4inch instead as many of my trailers don't like the extra height.

The second thing has been a set of tyres - I wanted to keep the original 18inch wheels so tyre choice has been limited. Jim and other members have given me some great advice so thanks. The dealer wanted me to 315's on the standard rims, and even I could see that would be way wrong.

I ended up with 275x70x18 Toyo Open Country tyres - very pleased and they give me a 33inch diameter. They had their first outing this Sunday on a pay and play day at Tong and were a huge difference.

The 2.5inch lift is all booked in for just over a week's time. I will let you know how that goes.

I am looking at a front bumper but this choice looks even more difficult. I like the thought of a USA anniversary bumper but not sure about the look. I hope to see the one Jeepey.com have when I go for the lift. Any advice on this would be good and if anyone has one to sell get in touch.

Bye for now.

Simon

IMG_0957.thumb.JPG.9f1e7b9c35acab82181c1e4a1c18e789.JPG

IMG_0958.thumb.JPG.749ee03f8a56e843965d94123810d0ea.JPG

• Platinum Member

Hi Simon,

Lovely looking Jeep! I saw you at Tong last Sunday, but I didn't have a chance to come over and have a chat. I was in the Red Rock JKU with the soft-top and stubby front bumper.

If you have a look at my build thread, there may be some inspiration on there for you. All done by myself.

Best of luck in the modifications. Im sure, whichever route you go down it will look spot on. Its a Jeep end of the day!  :great: :great:

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Thanks Matt, I did see you driving around. Your build thread is what inspired me to share mine.

Simon

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone, I am trying to upgrade the capability of my 75th Anniversary JKU but keep the original look where I can. Since joining Jeep Owners Club, Angie and I have the off-roading bug and need to make sure we get the most from our JKU.

The first item was to get a 2inch tow hitch fitted. This involved moving the license plate and cutting the bottom off the stock bumper - very neatly. Getting the electrics done was the difficult item but a local auto-electrician got it done in the end and all works fine. I had a 2 inch drop for the ball and should have gone for a 4inch instead as many of my trailers don't like the extra height.

The second thing has been a set of tyres - I wanted to keep the original 18inch wheels so tyre choice has been limited. Jim and other members have given me some great advice so thanks. The dealer wanted me to 315's on the standard rims, and even I could see that would be way wrong.

I ended up with 275x70x18 Toyo Open Country tyres - very pleased and they give me a 33inch diameter. They had their first outing this Sunday on a pay and play day at Tong and were a huge difference.

The 2.5inch lift is all booked in for just over a week's time. I will let you know how that goes.

I am looking at a front bumper but this choice looks even more difficult. I like the thought of a USA anniversary bumper but not sure about the look. I hope to see the one Jeepey.com have when I go for the lift. Any advice on this would be good and if anyone has one to sell get in touch.

Bye for now.

Simon

Simon,

When you fitted the tow hitch, I see you moved the umber plate.  What modifications dod you do to the rear bumper to remove the UK spec number mounting position?  Was is as brutal as chopping across the bumper?

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

The move of the license plate was fairly easy and was just a little awkward unravelling the covering tape from the number lights so that I could move up into the area behind the brake light. I was amazed that all the fixings, holes etc. were there and ready to use. I then had to find a local retailer who would get the right size plate. I decided not to buy off the internet but take the holder into the shop and make it fitted.

I did originally cut the area of the bumper on which the old plate is fixed, around the hitch. It looked okay but I saw it nearly catching the ground on some off roading occasions. So I decided to neatly cut the entire drop down area off/ I gently filed it and am very pleased with the result. I then had the electrics fitted to the bumper and not below, to ensure it does not get knocked about.

Cutting the bumper was easy as there is a clear line to follow. With a hacksaw, it took me about an hour and I took my time to be neat and careful.

I will take a photo of the bumper when I next get the chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
simon.meadows

The move of the license plate was fairly easy and was just a little awkward unravelling the covering tape from the number lights so that I could move up into the area behind the brake light. I was amazed that all the fixings, holes etc. were there and ready to use. I then had to find a local retailer who would get the right size plate. I decided not to buy off the internet but take the holder into the shop and make it fitted.

I did originally cut the area of the bumper on which the old plate is fixed, around the hitch. It looked okay but I saw it nearly catching the ground on some off roading occasions. So I decided to neatly cut the entire drop down area off/ I gently filed it and am very pleased with the result. I then had the electrics fitted to the bumper and not below, to ensure it does not get knocked about.

Cutting the bumper was easy as there is a clear line to follow. With a hacksaw, it took me about an hour and I took my time to be neat and careful.

I will take a photo of the bumper when I next get the chance.

b16ab5b30613234bc47f3f6761943f62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

the receiver hitch makes a great recovery point, as its central, and direct onto your chassis, there are lots of attachments available, also I have several different tow bar attachments, for the different height tires I run, so that my trailer or caravan always sit level.

102.thumb.jpg.a4e77b688ba1e077cefbf9f1ea46f05b.jpg

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Well the 2.5inch lift is done and I am very pleased with it so far. It looks good but not too much and handles great on the road. I took advice from some of the members and went for the higher spec. Falcon 2.1 shocks. The wheel spacers give it more clearance and a better presence, whilst keeping the standard rims. I have just measured the overall height for car park access etc. and I will just fit below a 2m bar.

A huge thank you to Andy and the team at Jeepey.com for the work they have done. I was amazed it was clean and polished when I picked it up. The service overall has been exceptional.

I went with sway bar disconnects too. Happy to take any advice on the use of these.

I also had to change my 2inch drop hitch to a 6inch drop to maintain a good trailer height on my horsebox.

I am now looking forward to Aldermaston in a few weeks time to see what difference this all makes. Until then...

IMG_1065.thumb.JPG.1bb3421727f1eb2292d0bfaa2ec516f2.JPG

IMG_1066.thumb.JPG.35f9de01646ee52bf87593960dec575c.JPG

IMG_1067.thumb.JPG.9035b33c709711b38d286df145bc48e8.JPG

IMG_1068.thumb.JPG.87aa981623d6d6f2c452c5d934c9e78f.JPG

IMG_1069.thumb.JPG.b53c6398b530ecbecc734ddf7630c099.JPG

Well the 2.5inch lift is done and I am very pleased with it so far. It looks good but not too much and handles great on the road. I took advice from some of the members and went for the higher spec. Falcon 2.1 shocks. The wheel spacers give it more clearance and a better presence, whilst keeping the standard rims. I have just measured the overall height for car park access etc. and I will just fit below a 2m bar.

A huge thank you to Andy and the team at Jeepey.com for the work they have done. I was amazed it was clean and polished when I picked it up. The service overall has been exceptional.

I went with sway bar disconnects too. Happy to take any advice on the use of these.

I also had to change my 2inch drop hitch to a 6inch drop to maintain a good trailer height on my horsebox.

I am now looking forward to Aldermaston in a few weeks time to see what difference this all makes. Until then...

Simon,

Looking good.

I had quick disconnects on my Red Rock JK which worked really well. You just need something to kneel on when your changing them and it helps to have some form of lever to help disconnect.

Other word of warning would be to take off your mud flaps before going off-road, you might find that you rip them off otherwise. I also remember someone having a lose fender after catching the mud flaps off-road.

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Think it looks cool.  Are those 33" tyres?

Yes they are. I didn't realise that they were an increase to 33" as the focus was to get a tyre to fit the standard rims. It was a bonus to have the increase and still fit under rear brake light.

I am really pleased with the tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Thanks for the advice on the mud flaps. I will take a look at this before my next adventure for sure.

Simon

Simon,

Looking good.

I had quick disconnects on my Red Rock JK which worked really well. You just need something to kneel on when your changing them and it helps to have some form of lever to help disconnect.

Other word of warning would be to take off your mud flaps before going off-road, you might find that you rip them off otherwise. I also remember someone having a lose fender after catching the mud flaps off-road.

• 4 weeks later...

Simon

Good to meet you both on Saturday, you've got me thinking I need to move my number plate too.  As usual, the plethora of options and advice on the net are making it all really confusing. 

Where did you get the US style number plate kit?

Cheers

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Hi Matt, it was great to meet you too.

I purchased the licence plate holder from Jeepey.com. It was easy to fit and the number plate light from the bumper is relocated to the new position so no need for a new one.

I took the holder to a local motor factor, Allwoods, and they made me a BS plate, as it is a recognised and legal size.

I hope this helps.

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
simon.meadows

So thanks to Jules, I have nearly completed the front and rear bumper replacement. I am just waiting to source the fog lights and fit the AEV splash guards. These have proven difficult to fit as the nuts are clogged up and one is turning in the water tank plastic.

I am really pleased with the look and lines - keeping it looking original.

No winch as yet and the rear tyre is catching on the bumper so these are the next items to deal with.

IMG_1091.thumb.JPG.b59c460995db4ade536d3027ee3a17b9.JPG

IMG_1092.thumb.JPG.415b60f7b376cda72440c9c593b47cf6.JPG

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.3ddb8a95bbfcbc30d2eea339427e3669.JPG

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.3654fbd37ae04d279178b5387e107583.JPG

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.c0f0be96933d1ea97d12cafaf3083765.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thats one hell of an amazing modification there!...

Any chance of a link to those sticky tyres? :happy: :great:

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

It's strange, because when I click the photos they are the right way up individually?

Thats one hell of an amazing modification there!...

Any chance of a link to those sticky tyres? :happy: :great:

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Stewart - how can I get these the right way up?

So thanks to Jules, I have nearly completed the front and rear bumper replacement. I am just waiting to source the fog lights and fit the AEV splash guards. These have proven difficult to fit as the nuts are clogged up and one is turning in the water tank plastic.

I am really pleased with the look and lines - keeping it looking original.

No winch as yet and the rear tyre is catching on the bumper so these are the next items to deal with.

• Platinum Member
simon.meadows

Its due to when you took the pictures, I guess on your mobile, you were holding the phone upside down.  :slap:

I'll do a post in the 'Technical' section shortly explaining this and post the link here.

Thanks Jim, that's a big help.

• Platinum Member

Hello Simon,

The JK is looking really well now, the lift and bumpers have transformed the look of it. I see you must have been to Tong last weekend from the photos, great to see you are using it off-road.

Cameron