TJ mirror relocation help required

Guest RossM

Guest RossM

Just received two well manufactured stainless brackets to allow relocation of my door mirrors to the windscreen surround lower mounting torx screws. The issue is how to remove the torx screws without damaging the screw or torx bit. A quality torx bit has already bit the dust without making any movement of the screw. Does anyone have any "trick of the trade" to remove the offending articles.

Ross

Guest RossM

John

Impact driver looks a good idea.

Can't get wd40 into the thread as the original paint is still intact. Maybe time to strip back the dash and see if there is any access to what I imagine must be a captive nut.

Ross

That would help  :great: normally I'd say warm up the bolt with a blow torch  :suspect:

But not this time  :icon_rolleyes:

• Platinum Member

I used a snap on torx on a breaker bar. No probs but then it is a 03 so a bit newer

Guest RossM

Looks like some new torx and a breaker bar and a lot of good luck. I have this image of the torx screw rounding and then what, as I don't imagine an easi-out would have the strength.

So this weekend could involve a lot of verbal abuse at a torx screw..... or not.

Ross

• Administrators

Looks like some new torx and a breaker bar and a lot of good luck. I have this image of the torx screw rounding and then what, as I don't imagine an easi-out would have the strength.

So this weekend could involve a lot of verbal abuse at a torx screw..... or not.

Ross

Have you tried applying heat via a soldering Iron?

Guest RossM

Stewart

Good idea as it still didn't move this past weekend.  I'm also thinking of chipping the paint off round the screw so l might get some wd into the gap. The vehicle has been garaged since 2007 making it not a rust problem as much as the factory don't want them to come loose.

Ross

Have you tried to tighten them slightly before trying to undo?

This sometimes helps to crack any rust or seized items

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RossM

Final update,

After buying the best quality t40 torx with lifetime guarantee etc I bit the bullet and got the breaker bar out and managed to release two, round off one then snapped the torx in another.

Ended up taking it to a garage run by a proper engineer, a rare commodity these days, and he drilled down the centre without touching any thread, screwed in an 'easy out' and out it popped.

So how come two feet of breaker bar wouldn't shift them but in the end an 'easy out' does.

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding this.

Ross

• Platinum Member
Marcus Durand

Out of interest... Does the kit come with something to cover the old screw holes?