......gone on a small adventure.

TimC

• Platinum Member

Thought I would start a thread off although I have realised that I have almost no pics to post :icon_rolleyes: will have to try to actually take some Today.

Here we are on a couple of days in the lakes.

1. Second lane, Whitbarrow road, just a taster, nice lane great views

2. On the ferry

3. Grizedale.....great fun!

4. This morning ...... overlooking Kendal ready to start day 2

IMG_0016.thumb.JPG.fa94340fb6521afe3789a0bc19cf8bb9.JPG

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.71fe51aede3426592a2a6a0ac197c05d.JPG

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.92dd522391a936a4f91032a8d483780e.JPG

IMG_0021.thumb.JPG.0aa2ff1d1db19111a39ab840afd8341e.JPG

IMG_0027.thumb.JPG.a64eef5d6730b3a5b1c15ccb9274533c.JPG

IMG_0032.thumb.JPG.8d115df884d6cb622a8445b355f5049f.JPG

• Platinum Member

Good pics Tim, weather looks decent too [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Looking good ... thanks for sharing ... gotta say it does give me a warm and fuzzy moment when I see Raiders Commander on here  :icon_rr:

• Platinum Member

Looking good ... thanks for sharing ... gotta say it does give me a warm and fuzzy moment when I see Raiders Commander on here  :icon_rr:

Here you go Ian, you can feel warmer and fuzzier...... Raiders Commander on Old Coach Road, Dockray to St. John's in the Vale, day 2. Probably the only good pic I managed to take all day

IMG_0045.thumb.JPG.3619abf0581b8e547fedcc79ac29a478.JPG

• Platinum Member

So am now back from our little two day jaunt to the Lake District. I have, as ever on these trips, failed to take any decent photos, hopefully Paul or Rob might add some, so thought I'd do a quick write up in case anyone is thinking about doing something similar.

If you are considering getting out and doing some lanes then the Lake District should definitely be on your list. First, it's the Lakes, the scenery is amazing, nowhere else quite like it in England, possibly in the UK , even if you were just driving around the roads ( which we did a lot ) it's a fantastic place. Second it has lots of really good lanes, of which we did a handful, but will definitely be back for more  :glasses:

Our original Plan was:

Day 1 Meet just off M6 Jn 36, one short lane near Heversham, then up past Levens and do Whitbarrow road on the way to Windermere. Take the ferry across to Hawkshead. From Hawkshead we had 4 loops planned out depending on what time allowed: Loop down to Grizedale (W to E), loop down to Coniston (Parkamoor), Loop out to Hardknott to visit the Roman Fort and, lastly, a cluster of lanes in the Langdales . Overnight near Kendal.

Day 2 Possible loop up from Staveley to bottom of Gatesgarth Pass to have a look ( too big to drive it ) then on the way back down have a look to see if we could get around the tight turn with the JKU and Commander into Sadgill - Stile End. Then back up the 591, do a short dead end - Dubbs Rd on the way to Kirkstone Pass, over the pass to Patterdale and Ullswater and take the Old Coach Rd. to St John's in the Vale then back down to Grasmere and Ambleside in a big loop bringing us more or less back where we started near Kendal. From there heading back East and North to do Dry Lane and Breasthigh Rd before finishing up at Tebay for the run back down the M6.

Well no plan survives first contact with the enemy so this is how it went:

Met up fine and headed for our first Lane of the Day ! I'd read this might be a bit overgrow....... it was ! We started lopping back a few bushes at the start but after a walk down it it just got worse, we would have spent all day on clearing it and still only been half way. Had to admit defeat and reverse back, made it about 20 yards down this one, not off to a great start.

Next lane Whitbarrow Road, lovely lane, not too challenging, could mostly be done in 2WD but great views and good to be on our way. From there up to Windermere and ferry across to Hawkshead, running a little behind schedule. So far good weather, overcast but warm.

Sandwiches for lunch in the Grizedale visitor centre car park with almost no one about. Started to rain, the persistent sort of Lakes rain, still warm though and pretty much cleared up by the time we hit the next lane through Grizedale Forest. This was an eye opener for me  :gasp: It is not like anything I've previously driven where what you're dealing with is deep ruts and clinging mud, just a long climb of rock, boulders and steps, into 4LO and off we go. Grizedale was first taste of what Lakes landing is really like and is fantastic, we had a great time on this one but took much longer than expected because we were doing so much walking ahead and just taking it slow. From end of this one we went back up to Hawkeshead then NW and did Knipe Fold a lovely lane, not as challenging but still with plenty of good rock a very scenic which took us to 4 o'clock ish. At this point we decided we wouldn't have time to do Parkamore and headed out up Wrynose and Hardnott passes to the Roman Fort at Hardknott, worth a visit and a fun drive, not a soul about. On the way back down Wrynose we had the only incident of the trip, Woody's brakes got "rather warm" so we had to pull over for a bit to let the smoke clear and the wheels cool down. By this time, about half 6, we were getting a bit hungry and juicy steak was calling out to Rob so we skipped Wast Water and Great Langdale and headed for the hotel. A very enjoyable first day taken at our own pace even if we only managed three lanes !

Day 2

Joined by my nephew and his girlfriend in his Disco 3, and after a hearty breakfast set off for Dubbs Rd after deciding to drop the run up to Gatesgarth and Stile end due to time and the fact we probably wouldn't make it onto the lane at the turn near the start with the LWB Jeeps. Dubbs lane was mostly a 2WD track, turned round about 200yds before the dead end on the advice of some cyclists that the local farmer was particularly belligerent towards 4x4s, may have just been trying to scare us but not worth the grief of finding out. . Then long run up Kirkstone pass to Ullswater and picked up Old Coach Rd, my favourite lane of the trip. Had some advice that this would be a challenge and there were some Glass advisories to take care due to washouts from flooding. We did it E to W which was probably a good thing. It's a brilliant long road, you see it snaking off into the distance across the fells, it feels very Tolkienesque. First half is nice and steady and we had sun and took a few pics. Second half we hit the rocks and the washouts and the rain came in. Was just brilliant and everybody made it down in one piece, great fun.     

Stopped off for a pub lunch on the way down to Grasmere now about 2 0'clock and I was aiming to finish at 3 so time for one more quick lane. Back down to Little Langdale and do High Oxen Fell towards Tilberthwaite. Good grief ! Only short but an amazing rock climb with a tight turn right in the middle. I have never pushed the abilities of my jeep further but we pointed them at it and trust in your vehicle and everyone made it up without a problem.

So that was the end of the day for me, Rob and Paul stayed and did one or two more near Tilberthwaite. A thouroughly enjoyable couple of days, no mishaps, no damage, nobody got stuck ( while I was there ) and great company, thanks to Rob and Paul for putting up with me, lucky you weren't picking me up on the CB eh Woody?

If it isn't there already put the Lake District on your to do list.....fantastic. 

• Platinum Member

Some more pics: mostly old coach road and end of the day near Tilberthwaite.

IMG_0036.thumb.JPG.ef1f6b33f7c01ff11664d8c0723b6bfa.JPG

IMG_0037.thumb.JPG.608c487376b15178b4127b92b4960b68.JPG

IMG_0038.thumb.JPG.66e6af4eaf33553c60ef563d25540897.JPG

IMG_0039.thumb.JPG.497d909144704878942c2f99ca3c30dd.JPG

IMG_0043.thumb.JPG.fef11010d6315ebf354c4a20c142ffb3.JPG

IMG_0044.thumb.JPG.d4845415863648512f4696f89a352fff.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.d488b4e636ee04bbc5c35e4c9f76d9b1.JPG

• Platinum Member

Saw two JKs while we were out and about on Saturday. A green JKU with a roof tent/ roof rack parked up near Ullswater, next to the Lake, patterdale/glenridding in the morning. Also a White JKU in Ambleside/Waterhead in the afternoon, got a jeep wave. Belong to anyone on here?

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

Tim /Rob

It was a great two days lots of good challenges along the way and we all overcome them, Tim you missed out on the last lane, not sure which one it was, but it was by far the most technical of the lot. It was great to meet your nephew and his girlfriend, he's crazy but in a good way, and I don't think we would of attempted half of the obstacles on the last lane without his help .

Cooked breaks apart no one had any issues we need to created a share point dropbox or another to post all the bids and pics I will post some up later  .. :great:

• Platinum Member

Saw two JKs while we were out and about on Saturday. A green JKU with a roof tent/ roof rack parked up near Ullswater, next to the Lake, patterdale/glenridding in the morning. Also a White JKU in Ambleside/Waterhead in the afternoon, got a jeep wave. Belong to anyone on here?

That Rescue Green JKU with the roof tent is always there, I've seen it several times over the last couple of years, but never seen the owner. I assume they work there, as it looked like a place with a few boats etc for hire?

Back on topic though, great to see this little adventure, looks like a lot of fun, definitely will do it some day

• Platinum Member

That Rescue Green JKU with the roof tent is always there, I've seen it several times over the last couple of years, but never seen the owner. I assume they work there, as it looked like a place with a few boats etc for hire?

Back on topic though, great to see this little adventure, looks like a lot of fun, definitely will do it some day

Yes, that'd be the one Harry, down on the right as you head North, by a little marina/landing stage with boats.