Buying from USA

Guest RossM

Guest RossM

Hi

New to this importing from the states malaki and therefore have a couple of questions that need answered.

Has anyone bought from Quadratec, if so were there any problems or did the transaction run smoothly.

Customs charges seen a bit of a grey area with sites giving wildly varying costs. Is there a reasonably accurate way of making this calculation before I end up paying more than I would buying in the UK.

Thanks

Ross

• Platinum Member

Ross,

I've bought from Quadratec and Morris 4x4 Centre.  I had a good experience with Quadratec, even got a discount. You do need to chase as their customer service is not as good as I would normally expect.  Also worthwhile noting their stock is held all round the country and shipped to their central location before shipping to

Your import charges are a hard to calculate. You'll get charged 20% VAT on the goods and the shipping charges. Their is then import duty on top of this.  This is Just on the value of the goods. If you pay by debit card your bank may charge you for paying in dollars...

One thing to think about is seeing whether anyone else is looking to buy from the US and then lump orders together.  I did this the last time when I bought a bumper from Quadratec.

You be good with a lot of US sites that will ship to the UK. Morris I have found to be very good, Quadratec takes a bit of work as there customer services as Fen has said isn't the best.

Anything from the USA car park wise you'll pay 4 - 4.5% import duty plus the 20% Tax. I have always worked on a direct Dollar to pound cost (i.e. If its $20 you pay £20). Most site will quote shipping tot eh UK and as Fen says get more on the order to spread the cost. If you can avoid it don't use paypal as there exchange rates are poor, Your better using a credit card and paying it off straight away as this way you get protection from the card issuer and a better rate (Card dependant)

Depending on who they ship with will depend on how you will pay duty. Fed Ex will bill you after delivery typically and UPS will want paying ahead of as will the US Postal service in partnership with the Royal Mail. IF you buying a lot it would be worth exploring a shipping company yourself, If you can get a pallet load together companies like CH Robinson can air ship this at better rates than you'll get with others like UPS/Fed ex who are more suited to packages. Simply have the shop ship to them in the US (Typically Free!) and have them forward to you in the UK. :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
Volant165

Hi Guys,

Continental Freight Forwarding have been great on pricing and shipping for me. I have bought jeep goodies from California, Michigan, and Georgia.

• Platinum Member
jeepjimboy

Hi Ross

Like Fen & Chris I have bought JK bits from both Quadratec & Morris 4x4. In fact I generally have got a quote from each if the bits I want are on both their www sites, on the day, one will be less expensive then the other.

Unlike Fen & Chris I can't grumble at Quad's CS dept. I've always "spoken" by an email conversation with Rob Windle in their International Sales office and have been happy with his service, and pricing.

Guest RossM

Thank you all for this info.

I'll now try Morris 4x4 and do a comparison with Quadratec although this could be a bit biased as some items are Quadratec only products.

Amazed at the mark up by the time the products hit the suppliers over here.

Interestingly I told Jeepey my list and the discount averaged out at 8% and even with that was £100 more than sourcing stateside.

Ross

• Platinum Member
Volant165

Hi Ross,

Our club contact at Morris is

Timothy Leslie

Morris 4x4 center

954-334-0482

Timothyl@morris4x4center.com

Give him your list and mention me/JOC.

• Platinum Member

My bumper worked out cheaper buying from US than here.

If you ring Quadratec ask them for a discount as you're a member of the JOC in the UK.  It worked for me even though they only discount to US clubs.