Jeep Commander

The Smiths

• Platinum Member

Had it a couple of weeks now, being doing some bits to get it ready.

We have bought a Jeep Commander - looks like an XJ, but a bit bigger and newer and shinier.

20170420_141321_zpscc3w7k7d.jpg

Anyway, had it a week now and it is time to start modding it.

It helps that the lift kit arrived today.......

20170420_122802_zpsenaozqer.jpg

20170420_122959_zpsy3zopgp9.jpg

Now the kit is levelling kit - 6mm down on the back, so Debby made some spacers so that they were the same front and back

20170420_150937_zpsqabr3frq.jpg

20170420_150930_zpsxndntw5o.jpg

So today we got the back done, a couple of hours - including about half an hour looking for bolt that had rolled away....

20170420_151411_zpsgp8caiux.jpg

Suppose I should also mention that we did a road trip the other day to go and get some wheels and tyres

20170420_141327_zpsrhruyp03.jpg

These are originals - but old owner had them refurbed - they are in excellent condition.

These are the new ones.

20170420_172336_zpsqdlzmlzp.jpg

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon ones - the grey matches the colour of the Commander lol

So here is the lift half done.

20170420_172324_zpsd4ox1szx.jpg

• Platinum Member

Had problems lifting drivers side, struggled for a good few hours, but finally got it done.

The passenger side was not too bad - undid the top wishbone thing, did the 4 bolts holding the strut, pulled it forward put spacer on and then managed to push it down low enough to just push it in and do up the 4 bolts agaon.

Really easy.

Anyway the finished picture.

20170422_170940_zpsvnjvnbvf.jpg

Hopefully get some rock sliders sorted for it tomorrow.

• Platinum Member

Well over the last couple of days (well a day really) Nidge has been working his magic.

Now have a set of rock sliders - all painted and fitted ready for Wales this weekend.

20170426_150811_zpsrms893kh.jpg

20170426_161013_zpsrdyoyyo0.jpg

20170426_162316_zpshbs4cwtz.jpg

20170426_163848_zpsrwfswjmv.jpg

20170427_132300_zpsy0vr0yud.jpg

Now to find out how it tows, and how it offroads

Wales will be a good proving ground for your recent efforts.

Well done.

Keep us posted how you get on with your modifications  :great:

• Platinum Member

Nice work loving the extra spacer Idea mine has the same ever so light sag that yours had .. I'd also recommend som JBA UCA's the UCA's on these don't like being lifted I killed a new set of OEM ones in less than 3000miles  you can see the difference in the angles on mine since they were done

uca%20before%20after_zpskcfim5qq.jpg

keep up the good work and enjoy your trip

• Platinum Member

wicked job commanders looking really good now ,good choice on JBA I just put a new set of cheap originals on mine and don't expect them to last . as for the old nylon bread board trick ive seen loads with that mod done , Im going to add some to the rear of my commander but made mine from alum plate just getting round to fitting them  see you at some of the meets :great:

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

The new UCA's are going on the list - where did you find the best place/price for them?

Used the cutting board trick about 15 years ago on XJ's - these are just a bigger circle lol

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

Well for it's first trip out it got well and truly christened.

Split the side wall on a tyre

Cracked a wing mirror mount

Some good scratches

and managed to get all these to light up

20170430_181704_zpslbtxh0vl.jpg

Got to say though it tows the caravan brilliantly (when not in limp mode - but even then it got us home)

20170501_111757_zpszigb616i.jpg

and when off road it was great, just popped it into reverse and it just drove out without a spinning wheel

P1060512_zpsplytpi2r.jpg

P1060513_zpsoqgswst4.jpg

All the warning lights (except check engine) are now out - cleared esp etc by disconnecting the battery and touching the leads together

The throttle one was because a small oil leak has buggered up the swirl motor while we were out - so we got some advice as to what it might be from Andy (madmechanic) and also a bit of reading and we went off to Maplins and bought a 4.7K resistor for 9p - fitted it and all is good.

20170502_141401_zpsaic5xg8r.jpg

20170502_135048_zpsdzovdy07.jpg

• Platinum Member
Hotwheels

The new UCA's are going on the list - where did you find the best place/price for them?

I bought them direct from JBA in the states i don't think you can get them elsewhere tbh.. certainly made my front end a whole lot better ... good work on the swirlpot resistor thing I bottled that and fitted a new swirlpot motor and inlet pipe with the new seal and modified leak pipe..

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

the resistor fix took 15 minutes, including a test drive.

I do need to sort some new seals, the ones in were the red/orange ones

• Platinum Member
RichBris86

Well impressed with those sliders. Great skills :coolphotos:

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
The Smiths

Well we have just done a 4 day laning trip from Port Talbot to Rhyl, wild camping as we went.  There were 320 miles of laning involved.

Completed everything OK - but did pick up a noise, and noticed upper control needed changing a "little" movement in the joint.

So ordered these Wednesday, delivered Friday - not bad from America...

P1060668_zpshw1wqz6h.jpg

Found the noise - front prop needs the bottom CV changing.

Also need to do the front diff bush - good bit of this is that all the above need disconnecting do to the bush...

• Platinum Member

Well we have just done a 4 day laning trip from Port Talbot to Rhyl, wild camping as we went.  There were 320 miles of laning involved.

Completed everything OK - but did pick up a noise, and noticed upper control needed changing a "little" movement in the joint.

So ordered these Wednesday, delivered Friday - not bad from America...

P1060668_zpshw1wqz6h.jpg

Found the noise - front prop needs the bottom CV changing.

Also need to do the front diff bush - good bit of this is that all the above need disconnecting do to the bush...

hi mick who did you buy them from , think i'll swop mine out too  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

The only come Direct from JBA mine were the same ordered wed arrived within 36hrs for the record I put a new set of OE UCA's on and because of the lift they failed the MOT the next year with only 4000miles on them as OE's are steel ball in a nylon socket so as soon as they've been flexed one time they're already toast. Mine drives and handles so much better since these were fitted ...if you are going for them Raider remember and order the ones for lifted commanders as there is a stock height version too. I also ordered a couple of replacement ball joints just incase

just remember to get it fully aligned when they're on 

before and after on mine 

uca%20before%20after_zpskcfim5qq.jpg

• Platinum Member

thanks for the info ian do you have the web address for jba ?.. i will put them on my shopping list  :great:

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

Excellent service, and items look good - only positive things are said about them, but they do work out expensive - initially

Hotwheels - did you get a DVD included????????????????

• Platinum Member

yup everyone gets one it's just Marlins thing word is he a long time ago he was in a bad place and the church helped him through it so it's his way of spreading the love,

He also put up a new video regarding the UCA's you have with the proper fitting instructions as some have been miss reading them and putting the washer in the wrong place

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

Thanks for the vid

I would have done my usual and just ploughed ahead, and then stopped and tried to find out lol

• Platinum Member

look what turned up for me today from JBA  wasn't expecting till Monday , order was placed late Wednesday  and here by 11.30 ish on Saturday  . cant fault those guys at jba  :great:  and I even got this mysterious dvd too  :icon_e_biggrin: . atleast now when Ive fitted them I wont be worrying about breaking that top ball joint when the front wheels are off the ground  :icon_jokercolor:

DSC023651.thumb.JPG.ad0b3bc447116f78871b3ab8594066ea.JPG

DSC023661.thumb.JPG.5995d68c3be1a781cd2110a8c81ab7fd.JPG

• Platinum Member
The Smiths

Finished fitting mine today (they did not take 2 days, but doing the front diff bush and a CV on the front prop did push it to 2 days)

Drives nice, the clunks going over potholes have stopped as well