My Hydro Blue Rubicon

neal

It’s a bank holiday, so what better time to do a quick job on the JKUR.

Had the AEV rear diff skid plate and diff cover in the garage for far too long and no opportunities to spend a few moments on the installation.

Really simple, just a case of removal of the original diff cover, clean off the old sealant and bolt on the new.

I used a lube locker gasket, which should make checking and oil changes easier in the future.

Once the diff cover was on, the skid plate just bolts in place.

All done and no rain in sight, what better way to spend a bank holiday afternoon.

4CAC5AB3-9FE2-46D9-9E4F-338056613E33.thumb.jpeg.08f6ae8e3ffa55af4e86cb5fc7cfa4be.jpeg

3DEF69C4-16C8-490F-9E15-2E23E10A0425.thumb.jpeg.c7f5f0b6cf668f18c688cd2ec46642f6.jpeg

6232CC60-868C-4214-97BB-D9AAF359ECB5.thumb.jpeg.6a033e591b4a83a82abe92dd1a10d9dc.jpeg

9E3A43BE-F280-489B-B8F0-68798DEB7402.thumb.jpeg.0de81a055896e987690025e1a8985f76.jpeg

Rubi back from the paint shop today after getting the AEV hood and a set of painted fenders colour coded to match.

All matching now, just need to decide if I put the Rubicon and Wrangler decals back on  :scratch:

7C6EA8C8-56B0-471C-9D2A-F44A431F5183.thumb.jpeg.1063f6775fe1549f88dc0d4aa06d70e1.jpeg

8E024295-9801-44CA-BAE7-A2A291D4105F.thumb.jpeg.d2a0e8bf59f99a3136aba26aa174d7fd.jpeg

B3A37782-7A41-4F2D-AFB1-15C9B888E389.thumb.jpeg.b1875f04bdee9defa79c1b09c404aa24.jpeg

25D553CE-1AA8-44B5-8845-20C6F2EB439F.thumb.jpeg.c611f43f34293bf2978f7e8ee99b6413.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Yeah looks better with the  fenders painted Neal and makes it even easier to find in large car-parks

Did you have to buy new ones or did you use the existing ones ?

Yeah looks better with the  fenders painted Neal and makes it even easier to find in large car-parks

Did you have to buy new ones or did you use the existing ones ?

Lawrence,

I picked up a set of take offs from EBay that where grey painted fenders, they just needed prep work and paint.

The original textured Rubicon fenders need too much prep work to take a paint finish and even then it’s not always a success.

As to finding it in car parks, much to my wife’s dismay, it’s usually as far from everyone else as possible........ and it will stay that way

• Platinum Member
Maverick23

Looks really great Neal :great: :great:

PS I still haven’t put my RUBICON decals back on my bonnet ... personal choice I guess ... did have something else in mind ... but now 2 years have passed :glasses:

Looks really great Neal :great: :great:

PS I still haven’t put my RUBICON decals back on my bonnet ... personal choice I guess ... did have something else in mind ... but now 2 years have passed :glasses:

Thanks Kerry,

I do have some alternative ideas in the making for the lower decals, just not sure yet for the Rubicon or it’s replacement.

Family has suggested as i bought the JKUR for my 50th, I should have some link to that on the hood. :scratch:

• Platinum Member

Rubi back from the paint shop today after getting the AEV hood and a set of painted fenders colour coded to match.

All matching now, just need to decide if I put the Rubicon and Wrangler decals back on  :scratch:

where on ebay did you find these?  Was it Kahn's ebay shop?  how much did you pay for the fenders?  I need to get some to replace the damage sustained a EJJ last year

• Platinum Member
Maverick23

Thanks Kerry,

I do have some alternative ideas in the making for the lower decals, just not sure yet for the Rubicon or it’s replacement.

Family has suggested as i bought the JKUR for my 50th, I should have some link to that on the hood. :scratch:

Will be interested to see what your imagination comes up with Neal :icon_king:

Also if you find a good vinyl sign-writer, please let me know ... might galvanise me into getting my bonnet done ... might :icon_clown:

where on ebay did you find these?  Was it Kahn's ebay shop?  how much did you pay for the fenders?  I need to get some to replace the damage sustained a EJJ last year

Fenton,

Yes the Kahn take off store..... all 4 delivered cost me under £50, but you have to keep an eye on what’s about and watch for broken fixings.

Also if you find a good vinyl sign-writer, please let me know ... might galvanise me into getting my bonnet done ... might :icon_clown:

Will do Kerry, not sure what our imagination will come up with yet

• Platinum Member
jeepjimboy

If it's of any use to you Kerry https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,7769.msg60123/topicseen.html#new

• Platinum Member
Maverick23

Thanks for reminding me of that thread Jim ... your decals look really cool  :great:

I will see if “mr google” helps me find a sign writer in Bedford ...

• 1 month later...

Not much happening this afternoon ? ??????? ⚽, so I spent a few moments out on the JK.

AEV snorkel on really quick and easy job, also found a nice local ford to cool off in last Sunday? 

C56B0576-71AB-40A0-9014-0D6578BDEA89.jpeg

2F0C9D89-D083-439F-83D4-291303A9385A.jpeg

36D735D8-4C55-4901-9C08-DC5291075DAF.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Quick and easy job because you’ve got the AEV hood eh Neal ? Did you have to do any drilling and cutting at all or does the panel in the hood just push out? Looks really good and suits your JK well............I am almost considering getting one, maybe next but one mod, we’ll see.

15 minutes ago, TimC said:

Quick and easy job because you’ve got the AEV hood eh Neal ? Did you have to do any drilling and cutting at all or does the panel in the hood just push out? Looks really good and suits your JK well............I am almost considering getting one, maybe next but one mod, we’ll see.

Tim,

Easy job because I got the AEV hood, yes ?

I did not fancy cutting the original hood and getting it wrong, or that’s the cut out was a little bit off.

The black mesh insert just pops out and the snorkel lines up with the cut out. You have to remove the lower portion of the air box and remove the short OEM snorkel to attach the AEV snorkel. Few bolts putting it back in and all done.

The choice of hood and snorkel were interlinked to make things easy in the build process. You could say I spent a small fortune on hood and paint to avoid cutting the original hood, but I think the end result was worth it.

Need to swap out the hood Jeep letters for the black version next.

• 10 months later...
On 02/06/2018 at 13:39, Maverick23 said:

Well it’s almost a year since I talked about stickers and what name to call the JKUR, but I have got nowhere other than back to putting the RUBICON back on the hood, a Geocaching tag on the side and something different on the wheels.?

Also got another new project to work out, just need to do a bit of research before I wire it in ?

14B21151-7FD2-478A-974B-0E8354D475A9.jpeg

FB0517C8-C0D0-45A9-9266-151C5818E5CA.jpeg

B9753A50-F78F-487E-A9BD-7EC43446ADA5.jpeg

0972C59D-FB21-4FEF-BA83-D9C69F25415E.jpeg

• Platinum Member
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 03:29, neal said:

Tim,

Easy job because I got the AEV hood, yes ?

I did not fancy cutting the original hood and getting it wrong, or that’s the cut out was a little bit off.

The black mesh insert just pops out and the snorkel lines up with the cut out. You have to remove the lower portion of the air box and remove the short OEM snorkel to attach the AEV snorkel. Few bolts putting it back in and all done.

The choice of hood and snorkel were interlinked to make things easy in the build process. You could say I spent a small fortune on hood and paint to avoid cutting the original hood, but I think the end result was worth it.

Need to swap out the hood Jeep letters for the black version next.

don't forget to block the drain holes in the bottom of the air box, as per the AEV instructions. 

• Platinum Member
14 hours ago, neal said:

Well it’s almost a year since I talked about stickers and what name to call the JKUR, but I have got nowhere other than back to putting the RUBICON back on the hood, a Geocaching tag on the side and something different on the wheels.?

Also got another new project to work out, just need to do a bit of research before I wire it in ?

14B21151-7FD2-478A-974B-0E8354D475A9.jpeg

FB0517C8-C0D0-45A9-9266-151C5818E5CA.jpeg

B9753A50-F78F-487E-A9BD-7EC43446ADA5.jpeg

0972C59D-FB21-4FEF-BA83-D9C69F25415E.jpeg

Neal,

If you're looking to relocate your horn from behind the front bumper to further up in the engine bay, it's really really easy.  Stewart posted on how he did his, which I followed

7 hours ago, frosty said:

don't forget to block the drain holes in the bottom of the air box, as per the AEV instructions. 

@frosty Sorted, thanks.

Easy install as long as you follow the instructions. Need to extend the breathers next.

55 minutes ago, fen01 said:

Neal,

If you're looking to relocate your horn from behind the front bumper to further up in the engine bay, it's really really easy.  Stewart posted on how he did his, which I followed

@fen01 I will have a look, as I think it would be better up out of the way

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, neal said:

@fen01 I will have a look, as I think it would be better up out of the way

cool.

If you find Stewart's post he also added the breathers to the same bracket the horn was placed on.

• 9 months later...

Tow bar and electrics done thanks to info from the forum. Local trailer shop didn't want to know, but with the right vehicle specific wiring it was a really easy job.

The tow bar was just the start of the process in getting my bike carrier back on. With my Red JKU, I had a MaxxRaxx swan neck 4x4 carrier.

Bit of a change this time as no swan neck tow bar. Thanks to Daniel at MaxxRaxx, I have  now installed a flange tow bar adapter and have the bike rack back on the JKUR.

Currently running it when needed with a 2 bike adaptor, but still have the 5 bike adaptor which I tend to run with just 4 bikes when the family all go out tighter.

The flange adaptor allows for a trailer as well if needed, just need to be mindful of the total neck weight on the tow bar.

Carrier works great and even with all 4 bikes on the back, its not really noticeable when driving.

Hopefully Daniel from MaxxRaxx will be at Slindon for a chat, if people are interested in tow bar mounted bike racks.

Few picks, as that's what we all want to see.

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg