My Hydro Blue Rubicon

neal

After about 6 years of owning my Red Rock Crystal JKU this year a Hydro Blue Rubicon appeared at Horsham.

So I have made the switch from the 07 CRD Sahara to the petrol Rubi and on my Birthday too  :mdr:

Number of obvious differences, facelifted interior and the added Rubi tech.

My Sahara was an early build had the 4:10 Axle ratio and the Rubi has too, we will see if there is any difference there.

Not had chance to use 4 wheel drive just yet, so not seen what the Rubi can do.

Biggest difference noticed so far is the engine change, what a difference the petrol 3.6 V6 makes compared to the CRD. Been used to needing a heavy right foot to get the CRD to move in traffic, not the case in the 3.6 as I found out on the way home  :gasp:

Best comment from Sarah, " I like the arm rests"  :grrrrrr: for anyone that has driven both you will know the face lifted interior is far more car like and the door cards do have a much better arm rest than the 07.

I retained a few things from the Sahara, so the plan is to head down a very similar build journey.

But that said we shall see how things go.

Few pics of the new Rubi and one of the It next to Clint's Rubi as a reminder of where things might go.

Did get the opportunity to check out the 3.5" lift in comparison to my old 2.5" lift and got what appears to have been approval from Sarah that the higher lift would be manageable. I take that as a yes in the broadest terms from SHMBO  :icon_lol:

So far, soft top is on  :icon_lol:

IMG_0190.thumb.JPG.f14897bd2e5437ec1c5f3620c0ae6ac5.JPG

IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.2f044e81026147ac4483b7965082dd0e.JPG

IMG_0198.thumb.JPG.a73fb64e6fc518df8e4d3f43021b440c.JPG

• Platinum Member

Looking good Neal and one of the best colours  :great:

Looking forward to seeing more build pics

Daz

Thanks guy's,

Have spent most of the weekend looking for excuses to drive the 3.6, it is so different from the CRD.

Thought I had stalled it at one set of lights, gone is that background noise associated with the CRD.

The responsiveness is also so much more noticeable, just hope no letters in the post over the next week or so  :icon_rr:

• Platinum Member

Thanks guy's,

Have spent most of the weekend looking for excuses to drive the 3.6, it is so different from the CRD.

Thought I had stalled it at one set of lights, gone is that background noise associated with the CRD.

The responsiveness is also so much more noticeable, just hope no letters in the post over the next week or so  :icon_rr:

Are you telling me you already miss the great whoosh of air when you step on the accelerator of the CRD??

Are you telling me you already miss the great whoosh of air when you step on the accelerator of the CRD??

And the pause before the acceleration kicks in........

Fenton, just getting used to the change that the 3.6 V6 petrol brings compared to the CRD.

Gone is the subtle tractor note when stopped in traffic that has been there for the last 6 years.

• Platinum Member

Hi Neal, Happy to help!!! If you ever need a hand with anything,  :great:give me a shout.

• Platinum Member

And the pause before the acceleration kicks in........

Fenton, just getting used to the change that the 3.6 V6 petrol brings compared to the CRD.

Gone is the subtle tractor note when stopped in traffic that has been there for the last 6 years.

I know what you mean about the delay when you hit the pedal.....

I'm torn about replacing for petrol.  The numbers just don't work.

However, Alex seems to have a solution to resolve the 'fly by wire' accelerator on the JKs.  I know Harry has had one on his Overland, and he's impressed with the change it has made to the accelerator

I know what you mean about the delay when you hit the pedal.....

I'm torn about replacing for petrol.  The numbers just don't work.

However, Alex seems to have a solution to resolve the 'fly by wire' accelerator on the JKs.  I know Harry has had one on his Overland, and he's impressed with the change it has made to the accelerator

Understand the numbers game, had my Red Rock JK for 6 years, so the numbers game was easier.

If the numbers don't work for you, then check out Alex's solution, he will sort you out I'm sure.

Me, I'm just marking up the JK accessory catalogues, just need to make sure Sarah does not find them.....

• Platinum Member

TBH, I've contemplated swapping the diesel block in mine for the Pentastar......

• Platinum Member

I know how nice the petrol ones are, but even with the looming prospects of diesel penalties, I can't justify a swap to a rubicon, just for petrol.

The Sprintbooster I got from Alex is incredible, really does change the throttle power a lot, takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth it, now definitely easy to get up the rear end of tourists in their audi/bmw/mercs on the narrow lanes down here

I know how nice the petrol ones are, but even with the looming prospects of diesel penalties, I can't justify a swap to a rubicon, just for petrol.

The Sprintbooster I got from Alex is incredible, really does change the throttle power a lot, takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth it, now definitely easy to get up the rear end of tourists in their audi/bmw/mercs on the narrow lanes down here

It wasn't just the change to petrol that influenced my decision, there's the cool Rubicon stickers as well  :rofl:

Actually lots of reasons to change at this point, circumstances, timing, availability, residual value all came into the equation. But the fuel comments did come into the equation, they gave me more weight to the discussion with SWMBO

• Platinum Member

It wasn't just the change to petrol that influenced my decision, there's the cool Rubicon stickers as well  :rofl:

Actually lots of reasons to change at this point, circumstances, timing, availability, residual value all came into the equation. But the fuel comments did come into the equation, they gave me more weight to the discussion with SWMBO

stickers are nice, Neal.. I'd prefer the Willys decal down the side of my bonnet. 

Be honest though, having arm rests must have been more a selling point than bonnet stickers  :icon_e_surprised:  I am genuinely surprised with this statement!!  What was there instead??

The diesel issue is a huge concern.  You look at how many cities are either charging extra for driving diesels or banning them, here and in Europe...  When it came to light in the news, my first thought was 'I must swap fuels...'. 

If I take a step back and look at this from a larger scale, is my 2015 jeep as polluting as an older diesel on the road?  Also, I work at Jaguar Land Rover, they have just invested £450m to double the size of their engine plant in Wolverhampton.  This is a sizeable chunk of change to invest on top the initial costs to set the plant up, as well as the costs sunk into developing their Ingenium diesel engine.  They , along with all motor manufacturers would be hit really hard if diesel were to be banned. 

In this instance I'm going to have take my chances and worry about when people stop starring at my jeep because of it's rarity and more because it's a diesel..

They'll find something else to complain about next month.

• Platinum Member

All engines produce NOX

Modern diesels are very clean

Air Pollution levels now way lower than 40 years ago

We had the same attack on lead in petrol which was replaced with a supposedly carcinogenic alternative

All these supposed deaths attributed to diesel are plucked out the air, apparently based on computer models

When fed pollution level data of the 70's  for Canada the models produced an amount of deaths exceeding that of the whole country for every category... so I've read.

The Green Blob are switching from the busted  CO2 myth to now focus on "pollution" presumably to keep the tax funding rolling in.

Nice Rubicon Neal ...... 

• Administrators

Time flys from meeting you at Bagshot the first time! How long ago was that now?

Good to see you managed to pick up a Rubicon and look forward to seeing it evolve  :gasp:

Time flys from meeting you at Bagshot the first time! How long ago was that now?

Good to see you managed to pick up a Rubicon and look forward to seeing it evolve  :gasp:

I know time flys so fast.

Earliest photo from Bagshot I could find was August 2013, come along way from then and going to start it all over again  :scratch:

Really enjoyed Bagshot, shame we can't go again.

Think all 3 JK's in this shot have moved on to new homes.

Rubi will take a very similar build path, not least because of the pile of bits in the garden  :icon_lol:

But a few changes are in the planning stages.

WP_001213.jpg.da3a7d64146474ff3efc0a301e324dc8.jpg

• Platinum Member

All builds have to start somewhere  :glasses:

I've got these bits too, not quite as clean as yours, but they do look smart

I've got these bits too, not quite as clean as yours, but they do look smart

Harry,

Hydro Blue build plan by the sound of it then.  :icon_rr:

These are 5 mins in, so really clean for now.

Had them on my last JK, they stand up to the wear very well.

• Administrators

Good start Neal saves scuffing the body when you are getting in and out of a lifted JK

• 2 months later...

Been a bit of a slow start to the build due to other stuff happening.

Did get to reinstall my Teraflex tailgate table.

Big thanks have to go to Joe at TeraFlex for sending me the install template and some rivnuts.

Next up is some electrics to reinstall my Spod.

IMG_0340.thumb.JPG.2e065ae31a3745ab7d8d4b400b1c52a0.JPG

IMG_0341.thumb.JPG.69c71178b70e5690fdc0e0ae43474ca0.JPG

IMG_1900.thumb.JPG.a9dda26f429dc284cb355033dfbcbfcf.JPG

• Platinum Member

Always good when the courier deliveries a few boxes  :icon_bounce: :icon_bounce:

Daz