TJ Cover All Kit question

Guest RossM

Guest RossM

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Cover All Kit for the summer, hopefully to alleviate the twenty minutes required to raise the top if caught out in a Scottish downpour.

Does anybody have experience of this type of top as I would appreciate any feedback on ease of attaching this item if found to be in the above weather, also any other info or recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Ross

Hi Ross

Tbh I've never experienced one of these tops ... is it like a chuck over cover effort ?

I've owned a tj for quite a while and have always just pulled the soft top back up clipped it in to the screen , pulled the edges over the door seals and got back in  :great:....

I never used to worry about the rear ...  :icon_mrgreen:

John

• Platinum Member

Ross, I don't know what these 3 piece  kits are like for the TJ in terms of how weatherproof they are but I have a similar set up for the YJ and it is a compromise. Much quicker to put on and off and store in the Jeep than the full soft top and OK for showers but in a downpour it leaks, mostly round the doors and you get a big puddle in the middle of the bikini because there isn't enough support or tension to keep it taught and get the run off. Having said that I have seen a TJ with a set up like Johns and it seemed to have proper door surrounds and be a lot more sturdy and permanent looking so may not have the same issues.

Guest RossM

John, yours looks like it has a full length top but yes it's much the same as I'm looking at.

Tim, thanks for the feedback, I'm not expecting a temporary showerproof top to be fully water tight after all I reckon these are predominantly produced for the states where it's probably more like a sun shade!

Good to hear that its quicker to put on and off as that's an important factor.

Time to place an order through Amazon as they guarantee import duty won't be any higher than quoted at check out.

Thanks

Ross

Ross

Yes full length top  :great: and the windjammer is a full one too ... it clips in to the original soft top door surrounds as does the roof  :great:...

you can not use this set up with the standard soft top  :suspect:... it's either one or the other as the channel you have to screw to thr front window stops the factory soft top closing ..

The top can leak on the front corners ... I normally use some clear silicon at the beginning of the season and peel it off at the end when the hard top goes back on ...

also u can't ovusaly can't use the rear seats with this set up & the rear load area is only half the size ... well only half is dry ..

I love it have been using this set up for ages & don't think I'd go back to the standard soft top ..

mind I have never been keen to be stuck in traffic with the roof down & the sun cooking me ..

I like this because the roof stays on & I can take the tops of the half dogs off to get good air flow  :great:

Hope this helps a bit

John