Road tax rip off once more?

jasonb

• Platinum Member

Hi all

Can anyone shed some light to the new road tax laws for a new vehicle bought as from. April 1st. I'm not thinking of buying new in the near future but as we all know our beloved jeeps are usually near the £40k mark when bought new, and was wondering how this would affect the road taxation.

As I see it they are not getting enough revenue in and has hatched a scheme to once again monumentally shaft the new car buying public.

Taxation through the back door once again?

Thanks to our previous chancellor Mr Osbourne for this one so it be.

• Platinum Member

Hi Jason,

We met with Jeep HQ and are waiting for some info and guidance. Yes, the £40k threshold in particular on new vehicles with higher CO2 will inflict pain.

Even if we obtain a members discount to get a purchase price below the £40K, the good old road tax will be based on MSRP!

Look for a slew of discount campaigns across all makes, especially 4x4 brands, in the coming weeks to help combat this.

Keeping a new Jeep for three or more years though can actually work out cheaper on road tax.  Keeping a new and higher CO2 for only a year will be costly. Look for an increased demand in 12 month old Jeeps!

Team JOC

• Platinum Member

Hi all

Can anyone shed some light to the new road tax laws for a new vehicle bought as from. April 1st. I'm not thinking of buying new in the near future but as we all know our beloved jeeps are usually near the £40k mark when bought new, and was wondering how this would affect the road taxation.

As I see it they are not getting enough revenue in and has hatched a scheme to once again monumentally shaft the new car buying public.

Taxation through the back door once again?

Thanks to our previous chancellor Mr Osbourne for this one so it be.

Also remember, whilst the year 1 tax costs go up after April 1 2017, Year 2-6 costs are greatly reduced compared to now.  The tax for this period is £140 a year.  Even adding the additional surcharge for a vehicle costing over £40k, the tax will be a lot less than what you would pay on any 2016 registered vehicle.

Finally, think yourself lucky you're not looking at a Tesla,  Whilst the new taxation system levies a £0 cost on electric vehicles, if you buy a Tesla, you'll have to pay the £340 tax up lift.....

• Platinum Member

So to get grip on this, I bough a new grand Cherokee last November and paid exactly £41k and are currently paying approx £280 per year road tax after first year of showroom tax. If I was to buy new now on year two would I pay £140 on a co2 of 199?

Or has my now 16 month old grand become very desirable to avoid the road tax hikes? In which case there would be argument to keep what I have to avoid lining the tax mans pockets again.

Thanks for your reply Fenton, I've just had a friend buy a tesla so I'll be interested in buying him a drink or two  to find how he feels now.

• Platinum Member

Well the £515 a year BS VED on my 2009 Wrangler will continue and will be classified the same as a new luxury vehicle for ever  and a day

Of coarse the whole CO2  and global warming has been another complete red herring which we've MissSold and  netted the EU 305 billion euros in all  emissions taxes 2015..  UK £14.6 billion think it was in 2014,  (and they're still bust)  so it wont be going away anytime soon

NOX produced by diesel is the new devil pollutant so expect tax to levitate towards here,  even though  ALL compression engines produce it

I could go on but wont

• Platinum Member

Under the new tax scheme , the year 1 tax is based on CO2 and is also over inflated p, as it was before. For a vehicle over £40k the is the additional charge for this. 

For years 2-6 you would pay the £140 a year plus the additional fee for the vehicle costing over £40k.

The rationale for this new tax scheme is down to the change in e cars people are buying.  The government have realised they are missing out on a revenue stream as people are buying vehicles with lower co2 emissions, but are not necessarily cheaper vehicles.

Whilst there is this issue over diesel and the emissions issues, drivers are still any easy target.

Until you have a better public transport infrastructure, you'll never get people out of their cars.

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
Volant165

Wonder if they pulled forward any to pre-Reg before the new VED? If not the new MD clearly has big shoes to fill. Too big?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

This is why I sold my 3l WK CRD and now use a 4l petrol