- anything else I should have?

I havea  4dr Wrangler with all terrains and Grand Cherokee WJ with mud tyres

• Administrators

Can anyone recommend/share links for tools for off roading/recovery:

- tow ropes

- tyre pressure tools

- anything else I should have?

I havea  4dr Wrangler with all terrains and Grand Cherokee WJ with mud tyres

My personal Favourite are ARB products well made Australian gear! It's not cheap but is quality ! http://www.arbil.co.uk/4x4/shop/arb-recovery-equipment/

we have a few items on the Club store https://www.jeepowners.club/store/ 

It's important to ensure that the equipment is tested and has a rating well over the weight of your Jeep what ever the make from Warn are or Rugged Ridge just to mention a few! You can buy cheap copies but your life and everyone around you depends on a safe recovery.

• Platinum Member

Get a good Kerr

If you are not used to or trained in using a KERR quickest way to break something or injury somebody.

Tyre deflators are good but you need a compressor man enough to reinflate tyres after. if you aren't running Beadlock wheels there is risk of the tyre coming off the wheel at low pressures.

It is considerate to have your own recovery ropes, strops and shackles to offer up to your rescuers, make sure they are good quality and certified Machine Mart, etc sell lifting gear that will do well.

Always carry a bit of broom handle in case you need to through foot eyes of ropes/strops to extend length.

Know where the recovery points on your vehicle are.

Best thing though is always go into a hazard gently at first - easier to be pulled out again  :icon_e_biggrin: and always have someone else with you to pull you out.

Don't forget other bits & bobs like spade, axe, saw for digging out and cutting branches out from where they are stuck in your chassis.  Also old blankets to stick under wheels for traction.

regards

Woody

• Platinum Member

Hi Tabitha,

I have to agree with Woody ( btw, kinda confusing having two Woody's on the forum now  :icon_e_confused: :icon_e_wink: ) Don't spend your money on a kinetic energy recovery rope unless you know what you're doing and know your vehicle AND the vehicle you are recovering/ being recovered by very well. IMO there is just too much potential for serious damage/injury with KERRs. I would recommend a good, rated recovery strop or rope, 15-20m and a couple of good quality D shackles, for 90% of getting stuck scenarios, provided there is another vehicle there, you are sorted. Unless you are into the 10% of really serious off road stuff then you'll just be carting around a lot of excess weight you'll never use. However it all depends on where you're driving and what you are planning on doing with your Jeep. If you want to drop your tyre pressures then an 'easy' tyre deflater is useful (  ARB ones sold in club shop or ebay have plenty of other makes. ) Provided you don't drop the pressure too much you'll be fine it's never too far to a garage with a compressor, let's face it, most of the time we aren't that far from civilisation and you should be able to run at 25psi or so without problems all the way home.

btw welcome to the club  :wav2   

Best thing though is always go into a hazard gently at first - easier to be pulled out again  :icon_e_biggrin: and always have someone else with you to pull you out.

regards

Woody

:gasp: I can't believe that !!!

From you of all people  :icon_lol:

• Platinum Member

:gasp: I can't believe that !!!

From you of all people  :icon_lol:

I'm older and possibly wiser now  :na:

• Platinum Member

I have to agree with Woody ( btw, kinda confusing having two Woody's on the forum now  :icon_e_confused: :icon_e_wink: )

Just think of me as old Woody  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: