Black jeep of the family says hello

blackjeepofthefamily

• Platinum Member
blackjeepofthefamily

Hi Jeepers

I'm new to the club and met a couple of chaps at Donington, thought it would be daft not to join.

I have a quick question if anyone has a shred of advice:

My XJ Orvis has a budget lift (shackle at back and spacer on coils) It rides great on the road but no surprise am keen to raise a bit more.

My thinking is to get the HD coils for another inch and HD/up country leafs for rear rather than a full lift kit.

Would this give me approx 2.5/3" in total and what shocks would anyone recommend - or other mods?

Cheers

• Platinum Member

What do you want to use the Jeep for?

Be honest with yourself up front as some mods can make the Jeep more off road biased. This may make it less than ideal on the road for other drivers if you are not the only one insured to drive it.

For an off roader...

If you are not changing axle gears, don't go bigger than 30x9.50 or 235/75R15 tyres.

A 2" lift works well with 30" tyres and looks in proportion.

A 3" lift looks a little odd with less than 31" tyres, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Tune your bump stop height to prevent the tyres from coming into contact with sheet metal. This is often custom fabrication of spacers or changing rubber bump stops. Static test them on full stuff to be sure.

Remove the rear anti-roll bar and brackets - drive slowly on bends until you get used to the new body roll.

Fit JKS quicker disconnects up front.

Fit longer shocks all round. Don't guess. Measure your up travel on each axle so you can avoid bottoming out new shocks that are the wrong size. Work out how much down travel you can use. You may have 30% travel on compression, 70% on droop.

Be prepared to modify the track bar or relocate the lower mount hole to centralise the front axle.

Relocate brake hard lines lower down or fit longer flexibles to deal with deep full droop.

It's a good idea to increase your track width by 1/2" for every inch of lift. This can be done in tyre width and or wheel backspacing.

Don't assume that you have to buy expensive imported springs. There are still road spring manufacturers in the UK that can make a custom set of leafs and coils for an XJ with the lift height that you want.

• Platinum Member
blackjeepofthefamily

Hi V

Thanks for pointers, good to know theres so much advice available here.

:D

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the Club David

Cheshire, I thought with a forum name like that you'd be from Masham :icon_e_wink:

• Platinum Member

1. Get a lift kit that is made specifically for your Jeep, anyone can sell springs with higher spring rates but that doesn't mean its meant and/or tuned for off-road...its meant that the leaf springs can handle a heavier payload.....you don't see people flocking to spring manufacturers for Navarras and/or Hilux for off-roading....no, its to put more weight in the back.

2. 32's are the largest you want to go with either steel wheels and/or alloys....considering that some XJ came stock with 31's with 3.55 gear ratios.

3. You need longer springs with longer shocks, longer shocks do absolutely nothing if the springs are not there.

4. You have an XJ....no matter what you want to do, your old, OEM springs are shot....never, ever buy an "add-a-leaf" with worn springs unless you like wasting money. The new spring will only be as good as your old springs are.

5. Going above a 3.5 lift and larger tyres meaning a larger lift....mind your pinion angles to avoid axle wrap

6. Do research and look at what everyone is running and then look for posts after budget upgrades and see the problems.....if you're going to do it at all....do it right. Just because someone has a toolkit from Halfords doesn't make them a mechanic nor an engineer when it comes to setting geometry properly on Jeeps. Nothing is ever bolt off/bolt on.....ever.

• Platinum Member

If you keep the lift to around 3 inches with 31's you should be fine. Make sure you add extended bump stops it will stop lots of rubbing but you still may need to trim a little.

If it's the 4.0L it should have 3.55 gearing and you can just about get away with 31's without regearing.

As said you may need to fit spacers to clear the inner arches. You can relocate the existing brakes lines or buy longer ones.

If you are keeping your vehicle relatively stock i.e. not carrying lots of additional weight with bumpers, roof racks etc then stick to the well known makes.

Don't believe all that purposely designed for your vehicle most of it is crap the "manufacturers" pretty much just look at what size fits and if it's within spec as most of them don't manufacturer themselves anyway.

If you use the car as a daily driver and/or only occasionally going to off road keep it simple.

• Platinum Member
blackjeepofthefamily

thanks folks

all the advice appreciated and simplicity wins every time for me.

if it grows sometime soon i will add some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk