Compulsory off road insurance

V

• Platinum Member

The EU is at it again trying to force compulsory off road insurance on us.

If you currently drive your Jeep off road it is more than likely NOT covered by insurance while doing so. Driving on Byways and UCRs is covered as these are public highways.

An EU judgement is trying to force the UK to make off highway motor vehicle insurance compulsory. This will have a damaging effect on all types of motorsport as race vehicles and road vehicles that are used off of the public highway will have to be insured at all times and I doubt that this insurance is going to be cheap. My kids currently pay an extortionate amount for road insurance, so I wouldn't be surprised to see premiums of £5K-£10K annually per vehicle if this stupid idea becomes law.

If you want to add your name to the protest, go here https://www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon-chris-grayling-fight-vnuk-the-eu-judgement-threatening-to-kill-uk-motorsport?recruiter=685637927&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

• Platinum Member

I personally have insurance through NFU. It covers all of my mods and off road use. EU or not, I opt for the insurance any ways.

Having said that, the EU also wants to limit mods. So, brexit all the way baby. Jeep on!

Ps: petition signed

• Platinum Member

It's even worse as it not only covers the vehicles, but also lawn mowers and anything mechanically propelled. It becomes very difficult then as those sorts of vehicles have no identification. Likewise my trialler which is built from bits and has no registration. A completely stupid and unnecessary piece of legislation that is being pushed through following an accident in Serbia between a tractor and someone on a ladder. The tractor being uninsured.

• Administrators

Also signed Up! Thanks Vince  :great:

This is the problem when you have a bunch of people wanting to justify employment by seeking to create more legislation for oiling insurance and legal claims industry !  :grrrrrr:

• Platinum Member

I personally have insurance through NFU. It covers all of my mods and off road use.

If your policy specifically excludes motorsport events then you may be faced with a premium increase at your next renewal. I had a long conversation with MSA officials some years ago when the government of the day tried to do something similar. The government wanted every 4x4 club affiliated with the MSA so that marshals and first aiders would be at every event. I believe that local authority planning policies now categorise all off road 4x4/bike/quad sites as motorsports venues. This means a tootle around a pay and play site is participating in motorsport, non-competitive, but a motor sport in the eyes of those with the power to impose financial penalties on you in the way of insurance premiums or fines.

Best have a chat with your NFU agent and get it in writing that each of your use cases is covered. NFU wouldn't insure me when I declared all my use cases back then.

• Platinum Member

Adrian Flux covers off road use non-competitive and have paid out in the past. An XJ at Tong springs to mind, drowned engine.

Another reason why we should be in control of our own country and why there was a Brexit vote to leave the Eu.

Strange the majority wanted out.......I wonder why when ideas from the Eu like this appear.

Leave us alone. Focus on the Euro zone which was meant to be such a brilliant idea, and one that has been a total farce.

Brexit........best decision made so let's get on with it. Sort of on topic I guess!

Oh. Insured with Adrian flux for many years now as they cover everything I need to do with my Jeep. On road. Off road. UK or abroad. Never once contacted the Eu commission to ask what insurance I need!

Excellent info Vince. All forms of vehicle transport affected.....possibly.

• Platinum Member

Another reason why we should be in control of our own country and why there was a Brexit vote to leave the Eu.

Strange the majority wanted out.......I wonder why when ideas from the Eu like this appear.

Leave us alone. Focus on the Euro zone which was meant to be such a brilliant idea, and one that has been a total farce.

Brexit........best decision made so let's get on with it. Sort of on topic I guess!

Oh. Insured with Adrian flux for many years now as they cover everything I need to do with my Jeep. On road. Off road. UK or abroad. Never once contacted the Eu commission to ask what insurance I need!

Excellent info Vince. All forms of vehicle transport affected.....possibly.

Not everybody voted out and many want to remain. There are plenty of UK rules that will impact us just as much.

• Platinum Member

Sorry Jules, this is way off topic and this is not the forum to discuss politics BUT I have to agree with Paul on this.

Yes, this is a Stupid Law from the EU, and the EU is far from perfect and has many many faults, is full of bureaucrats, some of whom are well intentioned but misguided and some are corrupt. But leaving the EU will not solve these problems. The stupid laws will just come from Westminster instead where the politicians are exactly the same and the vested interests have just as much influence. If Scotland leaves the UK it will still get stupid laws from remote and dubious politicians with vested interests, they will just come from Holyrood. If Bedfordshire votes for independence I will still get stupid laws coming from County Hall. I'm hoping that like Homer Simpson I find a loophole that means I can declare independence for my house !

All the stupid restrictions and reclassifications of byways a few years back came from the UK not the EU, to think that 'we' will "regain control" of 'our' laws is optimistic unless you happen to be part of the Westminster political establishment. As for the insurance industry they seem to be completely in cahoots with the medico legal industry in a racket which lines their pockets at our expense and there is NOTHING we can do about it.

All we can do is drive our Jeeps down as many green lanes as possible for as long as we can until we are all forced to drive around on government approved safe routes in electric city cars ( or worse ....bikes ) because large 4x4s with big V8s are illegal....... :grrrrrr: :grrrrrr:

:hijacked: Sorry, rant over.... back to the thread........... 

• Platinum Member

This is a 'story'  that keeps popping up all over the place. I follow various motorcycle forums and Rockers UK facebook group where this appeared in December suggesting it would end motorcycle sport in the UK. after it had been on Bennetts Insurance blog (Bennetts are a major bike insurance broker).  My 'comment' on the facebook group page was this..

"I think this is probably a 'non-story'? The actual EU directive in question is from 1972 and has merely sat gathering dust and only re-surfaced when Mr Vnuk got knocked off his ladder. Even that was almost 10 years ago in 2007. UK liability laws already cover this kind of incident quite well. Every government in the European Union is obliged to consider the directive and how it sits with members' (countries) own domestic laws. No country has applied this yet and certainly there has been no application of it to motorsport in the whole 45 years since the directive was issued. Would it ever result in some blanket 'one-line' piece of legislation as suggested in Bennetts' piece? Unlikely. I'm doubtful that it would end up applying to organised and marshalled motorsport. Have we heard any comment or protest from the mighty organisation that is F1? No. So please, let's not get all anti-Europe and political and wound up on here because of a knee-jerk panic about something that is already old news and hasn't caused even the slightest murmur across the world of European (they're not just picking on the UK) motorsport."

Would it apply to unmarshalled 'pay and play' for off-roading?  Hmm, UK liability law probably comes in here (certainly if money is changing hands), and all the vast complexity of what happens if people are invited to an activity on someone's land that results in injury or death.

Is the requirement for insurance in such circumstances actually a bad thing? What if you roll your truck or it blows up with your mate or partner or whoever in the passenger seat, or slides sideways into a spectator and someone is hurt or killed? Their family sues you. You have no insurance and you've probably signed some sort of disclaimer for the event organisers... good luck.

• Platinum Member

I assume that all JOC organised off road events, green lane trips and P&P, are fully insured through the club's Public liability for injury or damage to third parties through the price of the event ticket/contribution/donation?? Correct? I've assumed that it doesn't cover damage to you or your own vehicle. i.e. if you drive into a wall or spectator the damage to the wall or person is covered but the damage to your Jeep isn't, that's down to your insurance. Is this right?

• Platinum Member

I assume that all JOC organised off road events, green lane trips and P&P, are fully insured through the club's Public liability for injury or damage to third parties through the price of the event ticket/contribution/donation?? Correct? I've assumed that it doesn't cover damage to you or your own vehicle. i.e. if you drive into a wall or spectator the damage to the wall or person is covered but the damage to your Jeep isn't, that's down to your insurance. Is this right?

Hope so Tim,  clearly the value of having good clubs organising any form of event that isn't on a 'highway etc.' with all that in place cannot be over-emphasised. I guess that because it is mostly the case (I expect there'll be plenty of not so well run events), successive governments have 'considered' the directive and decided not to initiate the kind of compulsory individual insurance the directive talks about.

• Administrators

Morning Tim

The Club has a PLI policy in place covering all the types of events we organise from Car shows, green lane trips, Club members exclusive Pay and play events etc.. . We have always maintained this policy. The premiums by the way are jumping up at a fast rate and we need to stay ahead of those increases. It doesn't cover damage to you or your own vehicle and when it comes to your insurance we cannot stress enough to make sure your modifications and uses are fully declared AND covered on your policy as mentioned by Vince.

Whether or not this directive goes through I can tell you that in the past 12 months numerous sites have contacted the JOC saying that they will no longer host public pay and play days! And then they invited our club to come use their sites. There seems to be an awareness growing about uninsured 4x4's, damage/liability etc.  I think you will find Facebook groups out there most likely don't have any cover whatsoever unlike formal organisations like the JOC. Something to think about when you go on any organised trip do they have proper liability cover?

• Platinum Member

Evening Stewart,

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I thought.

I have Admiral Insurance and declared mods OK but the small print of " This policy does not cover" is a bit vague: use at an off road 4x4 event is excluded but it appears to be if this is for competitive use so non competitive fun play days should be OK ....... I hope. Might have to go back to Adrian Flux next time around. Cheers