Looking to Purchase a Jeep advice needed.

ChrisR

• Platinum Member

Hi all. I am looking at purchasing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 5dr Unlimited. I am currently running around in a Discovery 3 but looking to change this week. What are they like as an every day car, what is the MPG on average that people are getting, anything to look out for fault wise? and are they any good?

Thanks in advance.

• Platinum Member

Hi Chris, Welcome to JOC  :wav2

Answers to your questions:

They are great as an everyday car. I have 2015 5 door JK which is my daily driver, it is comfortable, practical and I've done 40,000 miles in it in two years with no complaints. Parking can be a bit of a pain but no worse than your Disco I would imagine and easier if you get a camera installed., although that doesn't help the turning circle!

You don't say if it's diesel or petrol but my 3.6 petrol gives about 22-23 mpg on average, it's half what I used to get in my 2.0 diesel BMW but I'm quite happy with it for a big 4x4. I think the JKU diesels get around 28mpg, I'm sure somebody who has one will tell you though.

Fault wise, look out for leaks in the hard top ( if it is a hard top ) into the footwells

Are they any good? ......best car I've ever had, honestly  :glasses: ( with the possible exception of my CJ7 but it's an unfair comparison ) nothing I can think of that I would trade it for.

I would recommend it, hope you enjoy it. I know this may be a biased opinion but they have the added bonus of being probably the coolest 4x4 on or off the road too  :icon_cool:   

• Platinum Member

Can double up on what Tim said, just not so many miles.

Mine is the 2.8 diesel, and I was getting 30-32 on stock, and about 28 now with a lift and new tyres.

Great as a daily driver, wouldn't never go back, just be careful of the narrow parking spaces

Well it's  a third vote yes from me to follow Tim and Harry. But it would be as we are all on the Jeep forum...

Mines a 2007 CRD Sahara with a few modifications, so I am getting around 22-23 mpg on average, more on the long runs.

It's not about the mpg for me but more about the smiles and pleasure I get from driving it. Always get people asking about it and admiring it. So be prepared to stop and talk.

Be warned buying one is only the start of the journey........

WP_20160720_19_40_02_Pro.thumb.jpg.2416dbfeb6b07794301a4ce4f97ece51.jpg

• Platinum Member

Welcome to JOC Chris :wav1

Fourth positive vote for "living with a JK". Mine is my daily driver, has been quite heavily modified - and that is ongoing and one of the reasons I bought a Wrangler ... you have the chance to create almost anything OR enjoy it as it is .... your choice.

No real cons from me - yes, it is pretty heavy on fuel ... but as the others have said, the smiles are well worth it.

Step in .... the waters lovely :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Well it's  a third vote yes from me to follow Tim and Harry. But it would be as we are all on the Jeep forum...

Mines a 2007 CRD Sahara with a few modifications, so I am getting around 22-23 mpg on average, more on the long runs.

It's not about the mpg for me but more about the smiles and pleasure I get from driving it. Always get people asking about it and admiring it. So be prepared to stop and talk.

Be warned buying one is only the start of the journey........

Neal, where did you get those sliders from? Are they the same as Alex has?

Neal, where did you get those sliders from? Are they the same as Alex has?

Harry,

They are Poison Spyder sliders, similar to Alex's.

Alex can get you PS kit as I think he is a UK dealer for them, I got mine direct from the US a few years ago.

Back on topic, mine is my daily drive too, forgot to mention that in my first post.

• Platinum Member

Can double up on what Tim said, just not so many miles.

Mine is the 2.8 diesel, and I was getting 30-32 on stock, and about 28 now with a lift and new tyres.

Great as a daily driver, wouldn't never go back, just be careful of the narrow parking spaces

Harry you were getting those miles on stock??  I must be really doing something badly then as I've never got this sort of range.  On stock I was getting 27-28 max, now with slightly larger tyres, I hit 23 ish.  The differences have to down to driving styles......

• Platinum Member

My daily drive is a 2 dr rubicon . It's also lhd! Petrol guzzler but comfortable and real easy to drive - anywhere accept multi-story car parks with head room below 1.9m

I've driven tnese as a daily drive for 15 years. There's nothing to beat them! Do it!!

• Platinum Member

I have a 5 door Rubicon. My missus had never driven a Jeep before. She took it to work one day and said " people wave and give a thumbs up" and I can see better out of it. Can we sell my Kia Sportage and get me one?

That took all of threes hours to flog!

Both 5 doors are our daily drivers.

• Platinum Member

Harry you were getting those miles on stock??  I must be really doing something badly then as I've never got this sort of range.  On stock I was getting 27-28 max, now with slightly larger tyres, I hit 23 ish.  The differences have to down to driving styles......

Probably a combination of slightly different gearing, and the fact I'm actually a 90 year old woman when I get behind the wheel

• Platinum Member

Probably a combination of slightly different gearing, and the fact I'm actually a 90 year old woman when I get behind the wheel

just behind the wheel lol.......................

I'm getting the same, about, as Fenton BYW.

• Platinum Member

Brilliant thanks guys. I have purchased the motor and will be picking this up today. The MPG figures seem pretty good to me as the Disco is only producing around 21.7 at the moment. My previous car Nissan Pathfinder was around 19MPG. Love the look of the car and i do hope that i get on with it although the wife says that she will never get in it lol.

Pics to follow

• Platinum Member

Picked up the car on Saturday and what a fabulous motor. The missis is even growing to like it. Got in the car today and it is soaked though  :icon_mad: Passenger side carpet wet, trickling down each of the front doors and in to the main cabin area. The car is now back at the dealers to see if it can be sorted. I now have a Renegade  :confused:. Update to follow.

• Platinum Member

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Jeep Ownership.  Regarding the roof leak, search the topic on the forum to find similar situation and best solutions.

Picked up the car on Saturday and what a fabulous motor. The missis is even growing to like it. Got in the car today and it is soaked though  :icon_mad: Passenger side carpet wet, trickling down each of the front doors and in to the main cabin area. The car is now back at the dealers to see if it can be sorted. I now have a Renegade  :confused:. Update to follow.

Chris, welcome to the JK club, as Jim mentioned a few topics in this one, plus a Jeep doc on how to fix on the forum, which might help your dealer fix the issue.

I find my soft top is better than my hard top for leak prevention.

Cheers Neal

• Platinum Member

Aah yes the beloved JK drip....  I think it happens to all of them.  I've had mine done once, and still has a leak.