New to the Jeep world

Guest saturn86

Guest saturn86

Hi all,

New here, just bought a Cherokee XJ (2.5TD) and love it! Based down on the South East coast, and will probably be signing up for a few of your meets in due course!

Just a query - I put it in 4H earlier, and there was a bit of judder as I was moving along. This was on my drive, and not at any speed. Any idea what that could be??

Sam

• Platinum Member

Welcome Sam,

Congratulations on the Jeep XJ 2.5td, they are great Jeeps. Does the Jeep judder only while moving in 4H or when stationary also?

Its quite normal to feel a little more vibration from the transfer case when engaging 4wd. My Jeep judders a little when I do this and its been doing that for a long time with no ill effect. When applying more revs it normally goes away.

• Platinum Member

It stresses the transmission when you run it on tarmac and you get transmission windup, will be much happier off road where the wheels can turn at different speeds.

Mine is very similar, I've been looking into it and the only explanation I can come up with is that the engine is now having to run another part of the T-case so the revs drop slightly. As I say, been running mine like this for ages with no ill effect.

You will probably have the same drive train as me, the 2.5td comes with a fairly tough gearbox and t-case to cope with the low end torque. The gear box is and AX15 normally which is an excellent box that many swap over to if they can. T-case is and NP231, good box.

Don't worry about the judder.