new grand cherokee

4x4tony

• Platinum Member

Hi a friend of mine is looking to possibly by a new Grand Cherokee, just wondering if any one has any feedback on them.

Are they only diesel apart from the srt models, am I right in thinking hey use a Mercedes 3 litre engine?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Platinum Member

WK2 (current shape) Grands use a VM 3.0 V6 diesel, the earlier WK Grand had the Merc unit. I'd sooner have the VM. The Merc units are by no means brilliant.

No petrol option other than the SRT has been offered in the current shape car this side of the pond to the best of my knowledge.

• Platinum Member

The Merc units are by no means brilliant.

why do you say that? The Merc engines are known to be very good indeed. The VM diesel in the earlier WJ Grand Cherokee's were timebombs waiting to happen... I'd rather the Merc engine over the VM any day.

• Platinum Member

I'd back up the VM's being a better engine my Merc CRD has just about everything replaced bar the pistons at 80k  :grrrrrr: where as the VM we have in our Voyager has only had a battery at 120k

But yes WK2's are VM powerplants

• Platinum Member

Ive ran grand cherokees new from 2005, Ive had 2 WK with merc 3 litre and both started with oil leaks and 2 of the new shape with the VM power plants. I was a bit sceptical about the VM but I am very impressed with it, in my latest 65 plate GC it has the 8 speed and it absolutely flies returning 35mpg, no need for remaps its quick enough and effortless and looks mean sat in the garage!

WP_20151129_002-1.thumb.jpg.d19453e15a4992a128df45b7b463cb32.jpg