Moved accross from the dark side

DuDeZoNe

• Platinum Member

Hello everybody.My name is Drew,and Ive finally given up on the land rover scene.

Ive just finished semi restoring a '97 xj oil burner 2.5  still lots to do tho,but its road legal now :)

• Platinum Member

Welcome Drew,

The XJ 2.5td is a solid Jeep, good year too if your looking into the drive train components. 

Been restoring one myself for a couple of years now, a very underrated engine but robust and capable of legendary mileage if you know how to look after it.

Mike   

• Platinum Member

Thx for the welcome....

I have known and worked on the VM engine for years,but on the marine side of things.As you say cracking engine provided you treat it with respect.

The last one i worked on had a 40thou overbore,and head work which really made low down torque amazing yet retained good fuel consumption.

Only issues were,high charge temperature at the higher end of the rev range.But a Mahooosive inter cooler sorted that out...

• Platinum Member

I bet that had some decent power on it!  You certainly have the experience then to take care of the thing!

I'm almost done rebuilding the engine on mine. Had the wrong thickness gasket in it and a cracked head so I decided to strip it and put four new heads on while servicing other parts. Had to do a fair bit to it, the starter motor was the worst job. I've almost replaced everything on it, but I guess that's what you get when you buy an old/ish Jeep and you have OCD.

Looking good though and running well for the little time it has run. I have fitted a new cooler, temps are just below 90 which seems good.

IMG_1600.thumb.JPG.5771676984de9e907f479e7a4e721be4.JPG

img_1024_17f9c08a98f648954e1c222e83ee6cc0647b6aae.thumb.jpg.7e9b680bb6fcad7cff561509a803a554.jpg

• Platinum Member

Ah thanks! Good to hear that, I'm learning as I go.

I've asked on another post I made on this forum, but since you have the same engine I wanted to ask a huge favor.

I snapped my oil dip stick, got the second half out and cannot find another off a scrapper. I do however have a dip stick for a 3.1 VM, but its far too long. I am trying to find out how long the original dipstick is from the base of the yellow puller at the top to the bottom so I can cut down my dip stick to length. I know its a bit of an ask but if your ever out there working on your xj one day and you fancy measuring the dip stick with a tape measure I would be very grateful! No worries if not of course! 

• Platinum Member

hiya m8y

dipstick dimensions are : 

End to Base of yellow cap    117 mm

Then with a hacksaw to one edge make your min and max marks about 3 mm deep.

End to Min......50 mm

End to Max.....64 mm

Hope that helps

• Platinum Member

Your a hero, thank you mate!

I can get the longer one cut down and sorted now, really appreciate that.

• Platinum Member

hiya m8y

dipstick dimensions are : 

End to Base of yellow cap    117 mm

Then with a hacksaw to one edge make your min and max marks about 3 mm deep.

End to Min......50 mm

End to Max.....64 mm

Hope that helps

Just checked out the 117mm, only works out to be 11.7cm? I must have missed something?

Many thanks

• Platinum Member

soooooory....

start again without little boy screaming in ear!!!

total length end to base of cap  64 cm 640mm

end to min.......5 cm 50mm

end to Max.....11.5cm 115mm

• Platinum Member

Ah nice!

Thank you and really appreciate that. I though I must be going mad!

Will get this one chopped up now, thank you again.