New to U.K.

Tarynann85

• Platinum Member

Hello all! I'll be moving to the U.K. in June and was hoping to get some general information on importing my Jeep. I have a 2015 JKU Oscar Mike edition that is pretty much stock off the lot. I was going to add tires and a life but was concerned it wouldn't pass under U.K. laws. Are there any restrictions I should know about? Also, are there Jeep approved shops that can do the light conversion when I arrive. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Hi Taryn,

Bringing over the Jeep is not a problem and if it's still stock even easier. Having said that if you decide to change the tyres make sure they do not protrude out of the body more than an 1 inch and you should be fine. As for the light conversion there places here in the UK that can do the job and make sure you comply with UK/EU legislation (this involves rear for light, oranges blinkers etc).

Where are you going to be based in the UK? Easiest would be if you were near a US base as these conversions are required for all US car running around in the UK.

Fil.

• Platinum Member

hi taryn welcome to the club some pretty clued up guys and gals on this site so so you should get all the info you need , what part of uk are you going to live ? :icon_e_smile:

• Platinum Member

Word of advice, if you plan on adding mods later on buy them not and stick them in the car or container when you bring it over :)

• Platinum Member

Word of advice, if you plan on adding mods later on buy them not and stick them in the car or container when you bring it over :)

What he said. Leave it stock, believe me it will make your life much easier! And bring the parts you want to install in the container.

• Platinum Member

You can do some of the work yourself.

1. Go to your local motor factors, O'Reillys or Napa Auto and pick up a red fog light and wiring harness. You can get the factory switches from Jeep or there as well. Wranglers are easy, wire up the fog light.

2. Two options on the rear lighting.

a. Get a Euro spec, again see above for who has them, many US outlets carry Eurospec aftermarket covers and simply use a wiring split on the one going to the dual red on the stoplamp/indicator. Solder or rivet another bulb underneath matching the new wiring you did and voila, as long as red is stop and you have a separate amber bulb for indicator and it matches the Euro lens...you'r grand.

b. Find the wire again mentioned above for the indicator and disconnect and reattach to the reverse light. Swap out the bulb and put an amber one in there. Then take the reverse light wire you took off and extend it to a pair of waterproof white LED's (mine cost me £4/ea for a TJ I brought over) and voila, that takes care of your wiring for the back.

c. Take the amber lens off the front which are normally lit under US specs for marker lights/running lights and put a clear lens on there and voila...your white marker lights are taken care of.

If the tyres are E marked as they are now selling the major brands in the Americas then you could pick some up, otherwise if the offroad tyres you want are not marked...as mentioned above...leave it stock as those tyres will not be allowed to use here as MOT will fail the vehicle.

• Platinum Member

hi taryn welcome to the club some pretty clued up guys and gals on this site so so you should get all the info you need , what part of uk are you going to live ? :icon_e_smile:

Thank you all for the information. I'll be living near RAF Lakenheath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Look up Mildenhall Auto Centre. They are a local Jeep place just down the road. I would speak to them ahead of time so you know what you need to do.

Years ago they did the import inspection and licencing for my Jeep. To say they were helpful would be an understatement. My Jeep is a fully modified TJ and the only issue I had was the front sway bar was not installed at the time and sitting at my house. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hmm...

Be careful of advice that you get from people that haven't done this themselves or advice from people like me that haven't done this for some time. Regulations can change so make sure you do your own research directly. Blame yourself if you get it wrong.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

If you are importing a NHTSA approved vehicle into the UK you are blessed! You can actually get away with a lot of modifications IF they are already legal in the state that your vehicle is currently registered in. There are a lot of modern European regulations since 2008 that make some mods illegal on EU imports but that doesn't affect your Jeep. A lot of UK Jeepers and their MoT testers are clueless about what mods are now illegal here on 2008 and younger Jeeps.

My friend managed to get his AEV JKU on 35" tyres UK registered without too much trouble. To save having to fit ridiculous forward and rear mudflaps on both front and rear axles he bought a set of 18" Sahara wheels off me that I had in California. They had original equipment DOT tyres (not 'E' marked). I checked with VOSA and they put it in writing in an email that if his Jeep was fitted with these DOT tyres and they had a clearly visible marked LOAD RATING on the sidewall, then that was all the tyre marking regs that he needed to comply with in 2010.

There is a technical design manual that you should read cover to cover

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Hope this helps.

• Platinum Member

If your Jeep is being shipped in an ocean container then you can include cargo like extra wheels tyres, bumpers, winch, lift kit, service parts, camping gear, whatever... as long as it is listed in the manifest.

If the Jeep is being shipped by transport ferry, then most port authorities insist that NO cargo is present in or on the vehicle as cargo is guaranteed to be stolen at any point on the vehicle's journey.

In either case, take detailed photographs of every aspect of your Jeep to show the condition inside and out, include pictures of pre-existing damage if you have any. It also helps if you get a witness photographed in some of the shots that can also testify where and when the photos were taken. Less of a problem now with GPS info in cell phone pics.

It is not unknown for container freight ships to shed their cargo on stormy voyages or to sink. A ferry that I was booked to use sank fully loaded with vehicles on it's way to the UK one year. Make sure you have ocean freight insurance that covers the risks that you are not prepared to take. From memory, I think I used to pay 1.5% of the stated asset value on the manifest as my insurance premium for all risks and total loss.

• Platinum Member

Mildenhall auto centre has been converting Jeeps for decades. They converted my US 10a Rubicon. And yes, fill it with goodies.

• Platinum Member

Check your pm's. Both myself and one of your 'coworkers' have reached out to you.