Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5td no start

Dave Clarke

• Platinum Member

Hi, My name is Dave Clarke. I live in County Galway, Ireland and just bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 diesel. After sitting in my garage for a few months it wont start. (started ok when I bought it.

Have tried bleeding the fuel line as outlined in the manual but can't get any fuel at the injection pump. I'm right in supposing there to be no electric fuel pump on this model aren't I? The Fuel Shutoff solenoid has power to it and clicks when I apply power but I suspect it may be at fault. Is this the way to go or is there anything I should try first before trying to remove this.

DC

• Platinum Member

To my recollection there is a fuse controlling the pump under the bonnet. I don't recall if its the larger bog standard ones that Halfords or a motor factors will have or the ugly black/grey ones that they defo won't have and you need to get them from Jeep.

• Platinum Member

Hi, My name is Dave Clarke. I live in County Galway, Ireland and just bought a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 diesel. After sitting in my garage for a few months it wont start. (started ok when I bought it.

Have tried bleeding the fuel line as outlined in the manual but can't get any fuel at the injection pump. I'm right in supposing there to be no electric fuel pump on this model aren't I? The Fuel Shutoff solenoid has power to it and clicks when I apply power but I suspect it may be at fault. Is this the way to go or is there anything I should try first before trying to remove this.

DC

Hi Dave, when you turn the key what actually happens? Does the jeep turn over but not start? Not turn over at all and nothing happens but a click?

Guessing the battery is all okay, especially if its turning over with no start. They are very basic engines in a respect so it shouldn't be hard to get to the bottom of whats happening. A very common one is the ignition barrel, it snaps away from itself inside and when you turn the key all the way you get nothing. Happened to me.