Remote Jeep Engine Starter Kits

Volant165

• Platinum Member

Back on topic.......

Will be looking for a replacement for the KJ in Summer 2017 but sadly don't think I can persuade the Mrs into another Wrangler  :icon_e_sad: I do like the sound of special builds though, does this apply across the range?

Hi Tim,

We are just working on JK's at the moment.

Jim

• Platinum Member

Nooooo.  I'm interested in the winter pack you MOPAR do.

Ahh...... the heated steering wheel eh?  :icon_flower: ........just have to wear gloves in mine.... :icon_e_biggrin:

• Administrators

Nooo..

MOPAR do a remote start kit for winter mornings.

Unfortunately technically not UK leagal on the public Highway as you can't leave un-attended vehicles running! (Except the Police) On private land e.g your driveway though is another matter!

• Platinum Member

really?? 

How do the likes of Land Rover get away with fitting them as standard, Discovery Sport even has remote start app now??

• Platinum Member

really?? 

How do the likes of Land Rover get away with fitting them as standard, Discovery Sport even has remote start app now??

And Teslas

• Administrators

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/107/made

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.

• Platinum Member

My missus UK Rubicon has remote start. She looks outside and if frost, tells me to go start her Jeep and scrape the frost.

• Platinum Member

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/107/made

Leaving motor vehicles unattended

107.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

(2) The requirement specified in paragraph (1) as to the stopping of the engine shall not apply in respect of a vehicle—

(a) being used for ambulance, fire brigade or police purposes; or

(b) in such a position and condition as not to be likely to endanger any person or property and engaged in an operation which requires its engine to be used to—

(i) drive machinery forming part of, or mounted on, the vehicle and used for purposes other than driving the vehicle; or

(ii) maintain the electrical power of the batteries of the vehicle at a level required for driving that machinery or apparatus.

(3) In this regulation “parking brake” means a brake fitted to a vehicle in accordance with requirement 16 or 18 in Schedule 3.

Okay, so it's illegal leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running on public highway, what on your drive, which is private property? Does this legislation count then??

• Platinum Member

My missus UK Rubicon has remote start. She looks outside and if frost, tells me to go start her Jeep and scrape the frost.

Hence the reason I need it on mine.  Can't see her getting up 2hours before she needs to to start and scrape her car let alone mine.....

• Platinum Member

This is a very interesting topic!

Last week (or the week before, can't recall) during the colder days, 2 of my neighbours came outside to start their cars and turn the AC full speed. When they returned, one of the Community Officer had issued a penalty note and was waitng for them to explain them the legislation that Stewart just referenced.

I have to say I was quite surprised to see it - not as much as they were! - apart from the enforcement of this in the USA, I had never witnessed this in the UK

• Platinum Member

Remote start is very popular in the USA, especially in Florida, where it's good to start the A/C a few minutes before you need to drive away.  It is fitted as standard on my wife's 75th Anniversary Renegade (Florida resident).

• Platinum Member

Remote start is very popular in the USA, especially in Florida, where it's good to start the A/C a few minutes before you need to drive away.  It is fitted as standard on my wife's 75th Anniversary Renegade (Florida resident).

Yep, had one on my wife's Patriot when we lived there. Quite handy!

• Platinum Member

A lot of cars are stolen that way and some owners get injured trying to stop them.

Have key less running on works van but of course its all marked up so the battery does not go flat when using extra and emergency lights. It does help if frosty in the morning while loading up in the enclosed yard. But I tend to put a cover on the front when frosty and on call.

• Platinum Member

Not sure what happens if the car is still locked

Yes Pete, while conscious of cars getting nicked, and before we went posh with heated front & rear screens, I used to start SWMBO's car when iced then locked it with the spare key. But it was on the drive though.

• Administrators

Okay, so it's illegal leave a vehicle unattended with the engine running on public highway, what on your drive, which is private property? Does this legislation count then??

I believe it's only enforceable on the Public highway! But I am not a lawyer !

I have used the remote start on a rented JK in Moab ! It's great ! You can't just get in and drive off as the key is needed to turn the started in the normal fashion ! Without it goes nowhere ! There is also a transponder in the key that it needs to register with the WCM so the remote start Kit Mopar sell in the USA has new keys and WCM (wireless Control Module) http://www.quadratec.com/products/97110_1001.htm

• Platinum Member

On the works vehicles they start as norm press the keyless running switch, take keys out still running. Touch any peddle engine stops.  May be something similar on the range rovers.

• Administrators

On the works vehicles they start as norm press the keyless running switch, take keys out still running. Touch any peddle engine stops.  May be something similar on the range rovers.

Ted the "works vehicles " Are exempt from the legislation!  :grrrrrr:  It's the Runlock system?  This allows the vehicle's engine to be left running without the keys being in the ignition.

So remote start is all about warming the engine up.

Why not get an engine preheat system, Webasto parking heater for the JK, warm the coolant up and legal. Used by VW and BMW to name a few

• Administrators

So remote start is all about warming the engine up.

Why not get an engine preheat system, Webasto parking heater for the JK, warm the coolant up and legal. Used by VW and BMW to name a few

Best solution!