Reliabilty v Other 4x4's

beerok

• Platinum Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

As I am new and not an owner of a Jeep and i'm still in the 'learning' stages.

I have looked at other forums inc the L/R Discovery 3/4 forums. One thing I have noticed with the disco is the problems/glitches are so often.

Yes I know forums often highlight issues but honestly most owners fear turning the key as they are scared what warning sign or 'bong' will happen.

My question is... What is the reliability of Jeep?

Probably the 2 models that could happen are the Renegade or th 5 door Wrangler.

Can I ask honestly for your reviews and opinions?

Thanks

colin  :great:

• Platinum Member

I don't know about the newer Jeeps much.

New Discos have a bad reputation. I had an older Disco and it was the worst thing I ever owned. It was a V8 and the fuel injection system was built by the devil himself. The thing never ran right and every week something else went wrong.

I also had an old Series 2a for 15 years. Its great because its simple but the construction is light years behind a Jeep of the same period. Yes everything unbolts but why do you have to unbolt everything to change one part?

If you look at the Jeep and LR magazines there is a big difference. The Jeep ones are about making them better. The LR ones are about keeping them running.

• Platinum Member

I am currently running two 5 door Rubicons.

The US spec one has 44K on the clock and is three and a half years old.  Only been to the dealer once in that time for a heated mirror recall.  Other than that, fluid changes etc are all I have done.  The UK spec 2014 has been in several times for a minor leaky roof, and a couple times for an alarm going off for no reason.  My neighbour with a two year old Disco -- has had to have the engine replaced. And it is only ever used on tarmac.  My experience, hope this helps.

• Platinum Member

in all honesty I drive for a living and clocked up a few million miles, and if there is a 4x4 broken down its a landrover mostly disco's and a few newer rangerovers  ive not seen a jeep yet . in my early years ive had a series 3 landy 2.25 . that has had a new gearbox then later followed by a transfer box not good . the 90 was better with just minor niggles , not had any probs as such with the jeep yet but if its major I know its not going to be cheap  :icon_cry: jeeps do go wrong just not as much  :icon_lol:

• Platinum Member

I bought my first jeep in 2005 a new grand Cherokee limited since then I've kept them for around 3-4 years and replaced them with... a new grand Cherokee. I bought a new wrangler in 2007 and I still have it. They have all never broke down and have pulled caravans, boats, driven through snow mud and even tarmac! Been left for long times in airport car parks while I go to the USA (to look at jeeps) and always start when I get back. My posh mates buy Range Rover and discos by the dozen and would never buy a jeep for fear of loosing face. All I can say is it's heaven knowing your car works when you want it. Currently saving like mad for the new Grand Wagoneer in 2020. We're all different so we make our choices based on what we think best.