HELLO JEEP PEEPS

3216andy

• Platinum Member

After 10 years of Defender ownership I'm crossing the pond to Jeep.

I'm set up to get at Cherokee 2.5 petrol manual on a 2000 plate.

I've been reading about your 4.0 love on here and am getting worried about a lack of grunt. Been driving 300Tdi "powered" 90 lately,

any idea how they compare as I've yet to test drive the Cherokee I've lined up?

• Platinum Member

Hi Andy and welcome to the club  :wav1

Used to run an S plate 2.5 petrol Auto XJ, had it for 3 years from new and never noticed a lack of grunt. Have a 94 YJ 2.5 petrol and only notice it could do with a bit more on the inclines sometimes, but probably due to the tyres/gearing. All depends what you plan on doing with it, if you plan on doing a lot of towing then maybe the 4.0 would be a better option otherwise the 2.5 is OK in my experience. People do say there is not much difference in fuel economy between the two.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Thanks Tim, I guess i've got more is better syndrome,

No plans to tow with it, just transporting dogs and the odd green lane outing.

Getting the idea people rate the 4,0 as more reliable.

• Platinum Member

More is always better .......  :icon_e_biggrin:

My 2.5 YJ is just the job for a bit of local laning and , touch wood, never had any problems as far as the engine is concerned. Can be a bit wearing on a long run though but I'm not sure the 4.0 would be much better.  If you have a choice then go 4 litre but if the rest of the Jeep is good and you don't have the option then I wouldn't say the 2.5 is something you should avoid.

• Platinum Member

hi Andrew welcome to the mad house lol ,  :glasses:

Speak for yourself Raider, I'm only slightly insane  :icon_clown:

But welcome Andrew !

• Platinum Member

I've had my 2.5 petrol manual XJ 1996 for two years nearly and I use it everyday. I live in Cheshire and commute a 30 mile daily round trip to work, plus I've taken it to Devon, Yorkshire, Manchester, Liverpool, Leicestershire three times and Portsmouth twice. The big trips are mostly motorway or major A road. She trundles along at a comfy 70mph all day long yet could probably be just as happy on the 85mph autoroutes of France. I have also used her to drag things around our fields and she is not wanting in the power department.  I have a four-litre XJ too but I really love my 2.5 as my go-everywhere car.  She cost me £1,400 originally with 95,000 miles on. I've done 20,000 in just under two years and she's been great. I've had to replace a few worn bits, but no more than any 21 year old car.

Enjoy her simplicity and reliability (hopefully).

• Platinum Member

Well, I did it. Picked it up, a 2.5 petrol manual with 77k on the clock, on Saturday.

First impressions are good, better on the road than the old Defender and certainly warmer and dryer inside.

Hadn't had it 24hrs when a Land Cruiser slid into the back of me on ice at some traffic lights. Cherokee was fine, my tow ball made a mess of the land cruisers bumper and number plate.

Needs a few little jobs doing to tidy it up a bit. Well pleased.

• Platinum Member

Nice one Andy,

Glad you like the Jeep,,, pity about the bump sounds as though not to much damage done.

Post some pics up  :great:

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Just a camping trip to Wing Hall near Rutland Water. Great little site, the big plus being you're allowed fire pits.

• Platinum Member

Great pic, i know the site well not to far from me. I camp quite alot one reason why i got my Commander, Jeeps and camping go hand in hand.

• Platinum Member
7 hours ago, 3216andy said:

Just a camping trip to Wing Hall near Rutland Water. Great little site, the big plus being you're allowed fire pits.

Fire pits definitely a plus ?Looks a nice spot.

• Platinum Member

Well, that lovely XJ has just hit me with some bad news.

Failed MOT - badly.

Rear suspension spring mountings corroded both sides, and nearside rear seatbelt mounting too.

A couple of other minor issues that I can fix, but from peoples experience, is it worth paying out to get the welding done?

Also rather miffed that the garage I always use didn't pick the above faults up even as advisories on the last MOT, it can't have got that bad in a year.

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, 3216andy said:

Well, that lovely XJ has just hit me with some bad news.

Failed MOT - badly.

Rear suspension spring mountings corroded both sides, and nearside rear seatbelt mounting too.

A couple of other minor issues that I can fix, but from peoples experience, is it worth paying out to get the welding done?

Also rather miffed that the garage I always use didn't pick the above faults up even as advisories on the last MOT, it can't have got that bad in a year.

Is it worth paying out to get the repairs done? I don't know, that would depend on your definition of "worth it". In a purely financial sense it probably isn't, you'd almost certainly be financially better off scrapping the XJ and spending the money on some boring little sensible car that's the same as everyone else has, is cheaper to insure , more economical on fuel...….bla bla bla bla bla…

……..but then you wouldn't have that lovely XJ (and it really does look nice ? ) to drive around in, just some boring piece of crap that gets you from A to B.

Owning and running a Jeep is never the financially sensible option. If it was me I wouldn't hesitate to get the repairs done, pay the man some money, get it back on the road and the smile back on your face....you know it's worth it really ?    

Edited by TimC

• Platinum Member

….plus, nice XJs are quite desirable, becoming harder to find these days and are holding their value well so, you never know, might also be a good investment in the longer term too ?