diff oils

ade01

• Platinum Member

i have had conflicting info on what oil to use in my front and rear diff i have found a 80w 140 GL5/6 which has all the friction modifiers in it some people say yes thats fine it meets all the things it needs others say i have to put the additive in it  oli  is by morris lubricants web site www.morrislubricants.co.uk/lodexol-xfs-80w-104.html many thanks

• Platinum Member

What model Jeep do you have and what does the Owners Manual say?

Does it actually have Limited Slip Diffs on it? If so and you use LSD Lubricant it does not need additives cos they're already in it.

• Platinum Member

it'll be Quadradrive II in the GC of that age and engine ..I wouldn't use anything else but Mopar spec oil and 4oz of modifiers in both front and rear .. there is a sophisticated clutch pack and solenoids in these diffs I would be very wary to go off Jeep spec   

• Platinum Member

the oil is off the recomeded spec it for a jeep grand cherokee 55 plate auto but i  lots of people say its fine other dont so im very confused the oil matches the opar spec in everyway thanks

• Platinum Member

All the Manuals I've seen regarding lubricants, and not just for Jeeps, state Chrysler/Mopar/Ford or whatever, then add, OR lubricants which match or exceed this Specification, so if the specs match you're OK.

• Platinum Member

All models, all axles:

Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)

Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $33.50 per quart)

Electronic axle notes:

Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. (Mopar additive p/n 04318060AB $10.50 MSRP 4 oz. bottle)

ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.

• Platinum Member

Yup tell me about it running a 'Jeep aint cheap' but fixing the faults caused by wrong fluids are a lot dearer than the oil ;)  been there done that never going back  :icon_e_confused:

• Platinum Member

proplem is mopar over here uk is £49.99 ab litre which is stupid price for oil

75/140 @ €28.00/litre here...I'd say the garage is marking it up