Filling up.

Christian

• Platinum Member

According to the build sheet and general information for 4dr JK's in the UK they are built with a 22.5 Gallon tank which is 85.2 litres.

Yesterday with the warning light on I let the DTE go down to 5 miles and then went to fill up at lunch, i let the pump click off and didn’t try to add anymore.

It took 68 litres, so I have to assume there was still 17 litres in the tank I’m not moaning I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and if so is this a fairly generous reserve compared to other vehicles.

• Platinum Member

From what I remember when I bought my JKU I thought the tank on the 4 door was 70litres and 60 litres on the two door. 70 litres always seems about right for when I run it to, what I assume is, nearly empty according to the fuel gauge and the computer. I have never put more than 68 litres in the tank to fill up. maybe I had more reserve than I thought then???

• Platinum Member

According to my build sheet it has a 22.5 gallon tank, im assuming that is 22.5 US gallons = 85L. If it was 22.5 imperial gallons it would be 105L i thnk. 

• Platinum Member

My 2009 JKU has an 85L tank, and I have put in close to 85 litres before now  :icon_e_surprised:

I believe the distance to empty reading does err on the side of safety, probably by at least a gallon, to prevent Jeep being sued when irate Americans run out of fuel.

• Administrators

As most manufactures have submerged in tank pumps these days they need some fuel in the tank to keep the pump cool! Just like running your fish pond submersible pump out of water for too long it will burn out!

• Platinum Member

I had to change the tank on my 1996 XJ a few months ago. I had to put 15 litres in before the needle even moved! I'd started with 10 litres, the engine started and ran but nothing happening on the gauge. I assumed I'd not wired it back up correctly or the sender was stuck, so spent ages trying to figure out what I'd done wrong, until I'd put in the next 5 litres and it just moved enough to notice!