Visiting the States with your Jeep

IrishMick

• Platinum Member

Morning lads.

I have heard sometimes some of our members have brought their UK/European Jeeps over to The States for a temporary stay.

Other than the documentation and proof of ownership and your paperwork in order, were there any vehicles that you had issues with on a temporary import/visitation or was it simply showing up at the port, going to customs, signing the forms and off you go? I ask as most of our Jeeps have modifications such as bumpers, lights, etc

Cheers,

Mick

• Platinum Member

I don't know about temporary stays, but I have looked at importing my TJ permanently, but decided against it since I can't bring any foreign mud into the USA, and it's too much of  a hassle and expense to make it worth my while (although if the TJ doesn't sell, I still might do it).

• Platinum Member

Cheers, I'm having to temporaryily move there but I know others have brought theirs over as if not resident there I know you can use it for one year but somewhere in this forum I've seen a post about bring theirs over for doing shows and/or runs (the rich minters in our group) and then they bring them back when finished. I'll keep searching.

Stewart....and suggestions?

• Platinum Member

The state you move to will have an affect on what's needed to make it road legal.

I'm moving to Florida, where anything is acceptable, and they don't have annual tests either  :icon_cool:

• Platinum Member

I was looking into doing something similar with mine but to South Africa.

Its not urgent so I've not put a whole lot of effort into searching yet, especially because it seems even searching for "temporary import" it just goes straight to the full on permanent import options. maybe I've just been searching for the wrong words though. I'd be interested to see where you find the right info, even if its for a different destination.

• Platinum Member

Try this for temporary imports and exports

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ata-and-cpd-carnets-export-procedures

Yellow you may find this South african site useful.  http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/forum.php  I lived in South Africa for nearly 43 years and travelled extensively over South Africa, Zimbabwe and parts of Mozambique.