Trolley Jack

TimC

• Platinum Member

My current trolley jack is a bit small  :icon_e_sad: has plenty of muscle to lift the JK but is a bit vertically challenged so think I could do with a new one with enough reach that I don't have to keep using blocks of wood to reach the chassis.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality Jack for a standard/slightly lifted JK (and not too expensive)?

Cheers

Tim

Best trolley jacks are made by AC Hydraulics , Sold under the Webber name in the U.K. They do a good high lift version. Not the cheapest though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

I researched ---  but have not yet bought and am focusing on 4x4 specific ones. They are much better set up for height, weight and options for shapes that come in contact with the undercarriage

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim

try sgs engineering they do all sorts of garage equipment , i bought a compressor from them 12 months ago and had no problems with it, quick delivery as well  :great:

• Platinum Member

On the subject of jacks, I'm looking for one to take in the car when I go through Europe soon, and was looking for one that's not vertically challenged as pointed out above, but also small enough to be worth taking with me and not using up all the space inside.

What do you all keep in the car in case you need to take a wheel off?

• Administrators

On the subject of jacks, I'm looking for one to take in the car when I go through Europe soon, and was looking for one that's not vertically challenged as pointed out above, but also small enough to be worth taking with me and not using up all the space inside.

What do you all keep in the car in case you need to take a wheel off?

I use the factory Jack with the AEV jack base ! I take my high lift Jack if off road!

jackbase.jpg.8f5fce0c574cee0935d6c0277db00495.jpg

jb_use2.jpg.0825e5f06f18e316c4560ce0f6162fa5.jpg

• Platinum Member

Have you had a look at machine mart? They have a good selection.

They do a cheap 3 tonne jack with 520mm lift which they advertise as for 4x4s, £60.00 ..... almost seems a bit too cheap   

• Administrators

They do a cheap 3 tonne jack with 520mm lift which they advertise as for 4x4s, £60.00 ..... almost seems a bit too cheap 

The one I purchased was about £100?

• Platinum Member

The one I purchased was about £100?

Their 3 tonne Jack was £120, now on special at £70.00, sounds  pretty good  :great:. 465mm lift though, a  bit less than the Clarke one from machine mart.

• Administrators

That AEV Jack base looks very handy, do Nene do them?

Anyone who Supplies AEV should have them! I have 2 and use one as a Wheel chock! They also work with the highlight Jack AEV supply a new jack base with their High lift mount kit for the tyre carrier !

• Platinum Member

That AEV Jack base looks very handy, do Nene do them?

just use a block of wood, that is what I have used for the last 8 years.

• Platinum Member

just use a block of wood, that is what I have used for the last 8 years.

I've got some nice blocks of oak I could give you to raise the height of your current jack.... :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

Trolley jacks are a bit heavy to carry all the time but I have a high lift/long reach one at home in garage.

Standard supplied scissor jack won't lift high enough if you have a lift and big wheels/tyres. So I carry a 2 ton bottle jack. Fits under the front seat nicely. Use scissor for initial lift, cos it fits underneath even with a flat, then take it up far enough to get wheel off with bottle, (and suitable block)  Use shovel (which you all carry!?) under jack if ground soft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Tim

try sgs engineering they do all sorts of garage equipment , i bought a compressor from them 12 months ago and had no problems with it, quick delivery as well  :great:

Beware SGS, products not all that well made and customer service is shocking. Once you've bought it they're not interested. Had problems with a trolley jack that didn't jack, they wanted video evidence before they'd replace it (NOT refund it). Then an engine stand with badly made, i.e. not on straight, brackets...  they weren't interested. In the end I took an angle grinder to it and got them re-welded on straight.

• Platinum Member

Beware SGS, products not all that well made and customer service is shocking. Once you've bought it they're not interested. Had problems with a trolley jack that didn't jack, they wanted video evidence before they'd replace it (NOT refund it). Then an engine stand with badly made, i.e. not on straight, brackets...  they weren't interested. In the end I took an angle grinder to it and got them re-welded on straight.

Thanks for the heads up fourpot.  :great:

I'm thinking of going the machinemart (Clarke) route. Highest lift for least money and I've heard people have had good service from them. I won't be giving it a huge amount of use so hopefully will be durable enough for what I need.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Ditto Machine Mart! Had a couple of trolley jacks from them, had them many years and no problems. Why 2? Well, had a little shorty for family car then needed higher lift when I got my first Jeep. Bottle jack from them as well. Also strops, kinetic rope, ramps, axle stands - you name it they've got it, and so have I now! LOL.

• Platinum Member

oooo  does this mean proper tools to fit levelling kits??

'fraid so... :icon_rolleyes: , need to try and make it look like we know what we're doing don't we  :icon_e_wink:

Could lift the front with the high lift off the front bumper but nowhere really to lift the back that isn't potentially damaging..... so bigger trolley jack required. Should also make the chore of swapping wheels and tyres easier..... I am still running on the Coopers, not changed back yet since the Plains, look, it's been cold.....and wet, alright?

Ho Hum, the best of intentions........ :oops: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi if it's just for workshop use go for a long chassis I have one I got from machine mart it has a foot pedal to take it up first then handle for the heavy lift. Lets you get under the diff without crawling on your hands and knees lol . And has a good high lift .