Fender Flares

Shabs

• Platinum Member

My fender flares are tatty and beaten so time to put new ones on. I have been looking at various wide options and they all seem a bit wide. I want about an inch of tyre sticking out so that I can use the sidewall, but most seem to be too wide for this.

Question, given 5.5 - 6" TJ gender flares don't exist, can input standard ones on or will the police take offence to me driving around with a lot of tyre hanging out?  Has anybody actually been pulled for this?

• Administrators

My fender flares are tatty and beaten so time to put new ones on. I have been looking at various wide options and they all seem a bit wide. I want about an inch of tyre sticking out so that I can use the sidewall, but most seem to be too wide for this.

First issue that springs to mind you might run into trouble with 1" of tyre protruding with the Law when on the highway!

• Platinum Member

I have wide flares but even wider tires. Don't like the additional mud up the sides but I have never had a problem with the cops or Mot's.

• Platinum Member

Hi,

Have never been pulled for it.

Have been flashed out by 5.0

had many motorway police etc sitting behind me and next to me- not batted an eyelid.

they are not unsafe, Im insured and taxed so i hope they believe that they have better things to do!

IMG20160923174208.jpg?t=1480264579

• Administrators

I just got a recall on my Trailhawk Cherokee so they can fit as they call them "Wheel Flare protection Spats"  to cover something like 3mm of possible exposed tread on the front leading edge  :scratch: 

My understanding on the various regs such as construction and use for example is the tread of the tyre has to be covered but the "bulge" can protrude up to 30mm.

Not wanting to put a damper on anyone's build but just be aware of the potential issues especially if the worst was to happen!

• Platinum Member

I just got a recall on my Trailhawk Cherokee so they can fit as they call them "Wheel Flare protection Spats"  to cover something like 3mm of possible exposed tread on the front leading edge  :scratch: 

My understanding on the various regs such as construction and use for example is the tread of the tyre has to be covered but the "bulge" can protrude up to 30mm.

Not wanting to put a damper on anyone's build but just be aware of the potential issues especially if the worst was to happen!

:great: always good to,know the law, rules etc when your building your rig..

• Platinum Member

My tyres are about 1" out from the arch, after reading this I mite keep the old wheels until after the next mot just incase :icon_e_confused: :icon_e_sad:

• Platinum Member

When I first imported my Jeep I needed skinny tires for the inspections. Mot's don't worry about the flares.

I don't have exact measurements but my tires are 15.5 wide and stick out. Nobody has ever had a problem and the cops don't care.

1385642_1706265842918615_5109367315502832523_n1.jpg.8b35b0070ca1f6be8d2baab4be1ad196.jpg

• Platinum Member

My tyres are about 1" out from the arch, after reading this I mite keep the old wheels until after the next mot just incase :icon_e_confused: :icon_e_sad:

Mine has gone through 2x Mot's in two different stations and passed.  Then again they may have just liked me or the box of krispy cremes that were on the seat!

• Administrators

Well as far as I can see it's not part of the MOT https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518634/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles.pdf I'm no MOT expert !

See section 4

So it doesn't mean it is road legal if it passes the test! It's more about road worthy two different meanings in Law!

• Platinum Member

Well as far as I can see it's not part of the MOT https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518634/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles.pdf I'm no MOT expert !

See section 4

So it doesn't mean it is road legal if it passes the test! It's more about road worthy two different meanings in Law!

Very true.... Hence the Krispy Kreme's :happy:

As a long time retired 'Traffic Boy in Blue' I would say its a dangerous thing comparing MOT passes to Con & Use regs...tyres that have a tread exposed from the line of the wheel arches are illegal; its like a lot of things in that everything is fine until it goes wrong. In these days of Police cutbacks, no traffic police & PCSO's being the frontline I'm not surprised that most people are 'getting away with it'...so to speak.

From my experience where it goes wrong is following an accident or road incident, this usually opens up a whole deal of pain for the (Jeep) owner, not least by insurers who WILL, in an attempt to reduce their own financial burden state that the vehicle is unlawful and potentially refuse to pay out or even worse cancel your insurance...and Ive even witnessed them do this for vehicles involved in accidents with tread depth slightly below the minimum.

• Administrators

As a long time retired 'Traffic Boy in Blue' I would say its a dangerous thing comparing MOT passes to Con & Use regs...tyres that have a tread exposed from the line of the wheel arches are illegal; its like a lot of things in that everything is fine until it goes wrong. In these days of Police cutbacks, no traffic police & PCSO's being the frontline I'm not surprised that most people are 'getting away with it'...so to speak.

From my experience where it goes wrong is following an accident or road incident, this usually opens up a whole deal of pain for the (Jeep) owner, not least by insurers who WILL, in an attempt to reduce their own financial burden state that the vehicle is unlawful and potentially refuse to pay out or even worse cancel your insurance...and Ive even witnessed them do this for vehicles involved in accidents with tread depth slightly below the minimum.

Graham Thanks for the Clarification on the issue I think it's important that we all know the potential pitfalls of when things go wrong!  :great:

You're welcome...I could tell you horror stories of insurers following accidents; I recall one incident when following a major RTA the insurer assessor arrived at the scene and the very first thing he did was to get his tyre dept indicator out and measure the tread, he then declared (in this case the innocent party) that the vehicle was illegal, another one was following a fatal accident which had been complicated by the deceased not wearing a seatbelt, again, they rather cold heartedly claimed he wasnt complying with the law and as a result wasnt insured.

The list goes on...modifications, lifts, wheel spacers...fear not the law, fear the underwriter...you have been warned!

• Platinum Member

Insurance point is super relevant, thank you. Interestingly enough, having looked into it, seems tyres sticking out are only illegal if it is raining / wet... rather daft yes

I am not after masses of tyre sticking out, just enough to lean on the sidewall and travel along without ripping off my fenders. I will give the 6.25" Crown fenders a go and see what happens

• Platinum Member

Another option that is widely used in AU is to apply rubber fender to extend the OE fender.

One can always argue that is not aesthetically pleasant, but it works!