wet carpet....

fen01

• Platinum Member

Have just been hoovering the front footwells out and have noticed the carpet under the mats a wet through, and damp in the rear.

Is this common for a 2015 JK?

Have I got a seal issue somewhere (nothing else is wet / damp)?

Has anyone else had this issue?

• Platinum Member

"Ah, they all do that sir".........

It is a well known problem with the JKs I'm afraid.  I took mine into the dealers several times to try to sort it out and in the end Bishops in Guildford achieved the impossible and mine was dry, but it is now leaking again and I'm out of warranty now.  Interestingly,  when I collected the Jeep, Bishops told me that the JK is no longer sold as a waterproof vehicle!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know what the answer is,  mine is dry with the soft top on, its just the freedom panels where they meet the windscreen/ front of the door.  After rain, have a look at the inside plastic sill and you'll see a tell-tale streak of water.  Newspaper is now a permanent fit under my slush mats.

• Platinum Member

I did some digging, and it appears the padding round the roll cage is wet by the B Post passenger side (where the freedom panel meets the rest of the hard top). Taking the trim off in the door opening, there is some evidence of water under the wiring loom.  So, this probably explains why the carpet is wet in the passenger foot well.

This can not be said for the drivers side.  The padddig by the b post is one dry.....

• Platinum Member

If you have been driving through a lot of water this week it can whip it up into the footwell drainplug area. Mine did this a while ago, I simply dried it out and it was okay but I keep it in a garage. Just another thing to take into account.

• Platinum Member

Ive found with my JK 09 that if you've taken the top off during the summer, you really need to make sure you take the time to put it back on. Especially the freedom panels make sure you bring them into position vertically don't slide them into position.

• Platinum Member

thanks for the tips.  It's back in the dealers, Friday, for the airbag recall.  I night get them to look at it then.

Here's the strange thing, I think it has only just started leaking.  I only noticed it yesterday as smelt damp in the cabin. But then you'd not really notice with the carpeted floor mats and they are rubber backed.

• Platinum Member

Have just been hoovering the front footwells out and have noticed the carpet under the mats a wet through, and damp in the rear.

Is this common for a 2015 JK?

Have I got a seal issue somewhere (nothing else is wet / damp)?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I was going to keep quite about the Yellow Peril, thought I'd got away with it this time, didn't want to temp fate  :icon_e_wink:. Sadly no!

If you read my past posts on the subject Fenton, and others that had wet carpets as well, you'll see my 2007 & 2011 JK's both suffered leaks (as they all do) with my 2011 being away on and of for nearly a month. As Stewart will remember I was tearing my hair out, what there is of it of course.

The boys & girls at Myltons in Bedford, with help from Jeep technical, got them both sorted, the 2011 eventually. Sadly, the technical wizzes in Slough were laid off, not sure if they are reemployed by Fiat. Myltons Bedford closed, but as you know Motorvogue took over Jeep in Bedford, and fortunately the Boys & Girls from Myltons were taken on by them!

The Yellow Peril has not leaked, badly, up till a week or so ago. I was going to put up with the occasional small dribble rather then go through the trauma of no JK till they sorted it. I fitted Rugged Ridge rubber liner mats when I got the JK, so the water leaking in the doors puddles in them , rather then the carpet. And it is the passenger side thats worse not the drivers.

Motorvogue are on standby, and Yellow is in for is 1st service, clock spring recall & and now leak check on Tuesday. Hopefully the guy who fitted the last lot of new rubber seals to the 2011 remembers how he did it and can sort it straight away.

Which dealer is yours going in Fenton?

• Platinum Member

Strangely it's going into Motor vogue for the recall  this Friday.

I've got glyn  Hopkins in MK but don't rate their service when trying to buy both a jeep and a fiat from them.

Whilst motor vogue lost in selling me a jeep they did g  My fiat business

• Platinum Member

I've got glyn  Hopkins in MK but don't rate their service when trying to buy both a jeep and a fiat from them.

I'm sure Karen or Lisa will look after you OK. And Martin is a great Jeep techy. Are you waiting there for it, or borrowing a service car?

• Platinum Member

Borrowing a service car as I need to be back in MK for 9:00

Shan't be popping in and buying you a coffee then this time .

• Platinum Member

Ok Fenton, Ive had the service and the recall done, Martin their engineer, has looked at the leak, using his famous hose, and has ordered new seals.

He said he learnt a lot from from sorting out my other 2 JK's so should have it fixed when the parts arrive. I suggested they order two lots in, as he will be looking at your leak on Friday.  :icon_e_wink:

Hope goes OK, maybe see you soon.

• Platinum Member

Ok Fenton, Ive had the service and the recall done, Martin their engineer, has looked at the leak, using his famous hose, and has ordered new seals.

He said he learnt a lot from from sorting out my other 2 JK's so should have it fixed when the parts arrive. I suggested they order two lots in, as he will be looking at your leak on Friday.  :icon_e_wink:

Hope goes OK, maybe see you soon.

thank you very much...

• Platinum Member

So, leak update.

Took it down to Motorvogue and asked them to check whilst they did the airbag re-call.

Met the very nice Martin, who explained where it might leak and what they can do to fix it.  Picked it up and was told there is a leak at the B pillar on the passenger side and at the A pilar on the drivers side, he did also mention the driver side door sits a little too proud.

Got to love them down at Motorvogue.  Nothing but praise for them.

• Platinum Member

Good to hear  :great: mine goes to see them week after next, 37.5k service and clock spring recall. They did tell me they can no longer provide Jeeps as courtesey cars though, only Fiats !  :gasp: I said I'd arrange my own transport!

• Platinum Member

Good to hear  :great: mine goes to see them week after next, 37.5k service and clock spring recall. They did tell me they can no longer provide Jeeps as courtesey cars though, only Fiats !  :gasp: I said I'd arrange my own transport!

hmmmm.  when it went in for it's service I go one of the Fiat 500x, which wasn't too bad.  When it had to go back for the clock spring recall I got a punto....... nuff said.

• Platinum Member

I got a Seat Mii last week, enough to get me back home and then back. I asked Victoria to at least sort me an automatic when the Yellow Peril goes in for a couple of days for the new seals to fitted and tested.