Cooper STT Pro

PiersHG

• Platinum Member

Hi There,

It's that time to upgrade tryes and I really like the Cooper STT Pros...

Fitting 275/70/R18 on stock 18" alloys with 1.5" spacers.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted these and would care to comment on grip.

I know they're excellent on mud / snow etc, but how are they on wet country lanes and frosty / icy roads?

Your comments would be gratefully received!

Piers

• Platinum Member

Bought a set of STT pros a couple of months back and very pleased with them so far . Good handling and reasonably quiet on Tarmac, seem to OK in the wet for an MT, no ice yet. Great in the mud. No complaints.

• Platinum Member

hi piers I have them on my commander , they are great on mud and rock , but not so good on the wet  , ice or snow covered roads , in my opinion you will loose about quarter in road holding depending how fast you like to drive , by their design they are an off road tyre so drive slower than normal on anything but dry roads .sorry cant get more technical but you'll soon learn the difference between ats and off road . if you look at the tread on a normal tyre you will see a lot of little cuts or slits ( sipings ) they are there to improve the grip of the tyre on wet ,ice on snow covered roads if you look at the stt pro you will see the odd small cut in the blocks hence less ability to grip the road surface , so big blocky tread but getting close to a slick tyre . hope this helps . :icon_neutral:  Ps  great tyres just take care on them .

• Platinum Member

I have also just fitted STT Pro and I used to run before BF KM2. First impression they are a lot more louder than the KM2 but that was when they were new after about 1k miles it seam they have got a bit less noisy (or I got use to them). On the wet they don't yet inspire as much confidence as the KM2 but that could just be me, time will tell. Off road instead they are very good and dig in possibly better than the KM2. I use them up in the Lake district on rocks and they did very well were instead the KM2 came back with blocks missing on one tyre!!! I don't run that size you want, mine are 235/85R16.

• Platinum Member

Hi Mate,

So I used to run a set of 33" BFG KM2 Muds on my last 4x4. When I moved towards the light and bought my JKU I wanted to go bigger. 35s where calling my name, but I couldn't get them in a BFG Mud. So I went with the Cooper STT Pro, honestly? Best tyre out of the two in my opinion, the grip in the mud is great, the grip on the rocks is also great. They have a great tread pattern and a aggressive side wall to meet. I wouldn't call them noisy, then again I drive a Wrangler, they come with built in ear defenders due to that wind noise haha. Im yet to test them in the snow/ice but they are Mud tyres, they aren't really designed for that. The BFG's really weren't that good in the snow! I do feel that these will be slightly better.

But yes, STT Pros all the way my friend!

Oh and they look good to!

• Platinum Member

Thank you to my Jeep compatriots!

The Cooper STT Pros do look awesome and I think that is half the desire...At the same time, take care when on wet roads, as they really come into their own off road...

If anyone else wants to comment on their experience, please do so...

• Platinum Member

Might need a modest lift for those - thanks for the link  :great: [glow=red,2,300][/glow]

• Platinum Member

Ko2 BFG the only choice had Coopers and could sell them fast enough. There is a clue mud tyres are good in mud nothing else. We have done over 60000 miles with ko2 from UK to Morocco and all over Europe they are the best. 

20161021_162735.thumb.jpg.f9495b67f7c82691c16a9a19a1765cab.jpg

• Platinum Member

I had BFG's and they were good but they weren't anyway near as good as the Cooper STT's. Changed them back to Coopers and never looked back. But I'm judging these on mud trails in North Yorkshire not in foreign lands. Daz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Trade Member

My experience with Mud tyres is somewhat different...

We run Maxxis Trepador competition tyres on our ultra 4 buggy (essentially an aggressive mud tyre)... which are great in mud.... sand.... Rock.... snow.... and generally all things off road....

As for the coooer stt pro.... it is a very good tyre in my opinion....sidewalls are stiff enough to handle well on the road but there is plenty of give in the wet and the soft compound means they grip really well... balancing is not the easiest i must admit but with patience and a good tyre fitter they do balance even on 37"... only downside  in my opinion is road noise (they are slighlty noisey compared with my previous goodyear duratec)

That being said i do like the BFG ko2... great all round tyre which performs a little better on the road (athough not much better) and it is more friendly on  fuel consumptiont... but that is to be expected.

If the stt pro is what you are interested in then i would have no reservations in recomending them to anyone they are a great tyre for both on road and off road....

• Platinum Member

I wouldnt say muds are only good in mud and nothing else. I'm almost certain that a mud terrain will take you anywhere an all terrain will, but not vica versa.

Get an all terrain on a thick muddy hill and don't expect to make camp at the top of it (a lot of personal experience with mud). For all else, just have to air down a bit more, but I wouldn't say theyre no good by any means, this is misleading.

Of course ats are better on road, but in a Jeep jk, you'll find windscreen angle and roof choice make more of an impact noise wise. As for handling, my toyo muds are no different to my ats I previously had... Fine

• Platinum Member

Most love the look of a MT and Libby my daughter and business partner does.

But that's it, ask a tyreman who knows what he is talking about

Muds do not heat up have very little rubber contact with rock, AT's say all terrain so good at most things, mud says mud, we see 4x4' on MT's in the Lakes on rock burning rubber and AT's walk by on tick over

We test on every surface through out the year KO2'S are the best and they are much better than KO's

At the end of the day it's what you are wanting your vehicle to do, I would be surprised if anybody did more than 5% of there driving in mud more like .5%

Also like Hankooks AT's

• Platinum Member

Have had 3 types of tyre's on my XJ so far

Hangkook Dynapro ATM they were great on road quiet great and no issues in the wet. I was happy.with the performance off road although when I switched to Goodyear Wrangler MTR just before a session on Surrey Hills it was obvious the Goodyears were much better off road (it was muddy that time). Biggest problem I had was noise and the performance in the wet on tarmac was awful. The ABS would kick in all the time with just the slightest touch of the brake on a wet road. The Goodyears were great off road though.

After just a few months I gave up and switched to Cooper STT suddenly I could drive on a wet road again and they perform really well in the mud. I have had no issues on rock having completed numerous trips to Lake District, Wales, Alps and Pyrenees and they perform brilliantly. Only downside I found the road noise increase after around 10K miles. Have covered about 40K in them so far will be switching soon and after talking to several guys that use there 4X4 for long trips I have decided to go back to All Terrain tyre's.

In the end the decision is yours and Cooper STT Pro are a great tyre and if you do decide to get them I doubt you will be disappointed.

• Platinum Member

Ah Ha ! See what you've done now Piers  :icon_e_biggrin: You ask a simple question like " what do people think of the Cooper STT Pro?" and it kicks off the whole what is the "BEST" tyre debate...... :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

I love it, here is my two penny worth, it's just an opinion.

There is no BEST tyre, it all depends what your circumstances are, what you are going to do with it, what you personally like  ( and what you can afford ).

Paul and Russell  have chosen the best tyre for their circumstances, if you are doing lots of mileage to Southern Europe, North Africa, driving mostly Tarmac and rocky, dusty trails and the occasional sand dune then who wants Muds ? Get an AT because that will be the most comfortable and give you the best performance on those surfaces, also probably better fuel economy.

If most of your off-road is in this country then what is going to stop you, in my experience, is MUD. It will kill your traction and leave you sitting with your wheels spinning and what you need is a mud tyre to get you through.  Anecdote from Hawkstone Park the other weekend: on one particular mud hole with a drop in and shallow climb out with a small step all the guys on MTs got through in one go, everyone on ATs or road tyres needed pulling out, at least while I was watching.

The ideal solution is - choose your tyre for what you are doing at the time, which means having more than one set  :icon_e_sad: or  :happy: depending on your point of view. I run 29x9.50/15  Mickey Thompson Muds on stock rims on the YJ because I use it for off road but they are crap in the wet on Tarmac, I run 31x10.50x15 General Muds on the CJ, they look great, I do hardly any mileage in it and most of that is off road. I run two sets on the JK: the stock 30" Goodyear ATs on the stock rims - they are a great all round tyre in my opinion - for all my day to day driving and I've recently got a set of 32" STT PROs for the Mud, which I switch on and off when I want them ( it is a pain to do, and of course not everyone wants that inconvenience or has the space to store 5 large wheels).

So getting back to the STT PRO:

1. don't confuse it with the Cooper STT, they are a different tyre. I have never driven the STT but from the accounts I've heard the PRO is a big improvement.

2. The STT PRO is, in my opinion great "bang for your buck". If you are on a budget like some of us, then it is great value for money ( I would have liked to get Mickey Thompson MTZs on Mickey Thompson rims but funds did not allow  :icon_cry: )

3. It's not too noisy........for a mud tyre

4. drives good on the road.......for a mud tyre ( remember your 4x4 JK is mostly just a rear wheel drive truck )

5. So far.....it is unstoppable in the MUD ( which now I have said that means next time out I'll need to be pulled out by someone )

6. It's a good looking tyre and doesn't have a stupid name on the side, not as cool as Mickey Thompson but not too bad.

There you go, not facts, just my opinion/experience with it. My recommendation, having driven it for a while and bearing in mind my first choice was the Radar Renegade R7 ( what a great name for a tyre ) but couldn't get the size: if you are looking for a good Mud Terrain tyre the Cooper STT PRO is a great choice, if you want a good all round tyre get an All Terrain ( and the BFG KO2 is highly regarded ) but that is a different can of worms to open........... 

• Platinum Member

Aha Tim

What a great read and the cat is amongst the pigeons!

The STT Pros do look awesome - yet ATs may suit driving down wet country lanes better. However, it would appear that the BFGs do not come in a size such as 275/70/18 which would allow me to fit onto stock 18" rims...so the STT Pros are still edging the debate!

As a side question, does anyone know if 275/70/18 will fit on the rear of the 4 Dr JK with the stock bumper? Or does one need a spacer to bring it out form the bumper?

• Platinum Member

Paul has 275/70 r18 Toyo Open on his stock back end. Spacers on the wheels. 1.75 rough country spacer lift

P2070593_1024.thumb.jpg.2e5005ca5d1aa526c16ba6a6a380232a.jpg

• Platinum Member

I may as well add my two pence. Firstly if you are running a CRD then I think that the engine clatter combined with the wind noise negates any tyre noise. I originally had Khumo MT, these had a habit of making the traction control work very hard in the wet. I changed to the Cooper STT Pro and I cannot remember the traction control coming in so they must have been an improvement. My current Rubicon has the old STT on the back and the Renegade R7 on the front but I don't know how it handles in the wet yet as it hasn't rained since I had it.

I thought I would be going with the STT Pro again for my next tyres but will be assessing the Renegade R7 on my next trip to Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Piers,

I was going to confirm with James' statement...

I believe on road you should be fine, with some rubbing on full lock.  Off road you would need spacers.

As with you, I am in a similar position.  Mine came with Duellers as standard on an 18" rim.  For me they just don't look right.  The wheel arch needs 'filling' out both from the side and front / rear. 

The vehicle will, and does, get used off road.  However, not to the extent where I would lift it and change the rims to 17" to increase my options on tyres.  The majority of the time it is used as a daily driver.  Living in Milton Keynes we have a lot of roundabouts and restricted roads.  Whilst driving straight over them would be fun, it would also be nice to have the option of going round them on rubber that will give some grip..

I look forward to how this thread progresses, as tyre choice seems to widest debated item here.

It's almost like the Nikon vs Canon discussions.

• Platinum Member

My 5p's worth on the Cooper STT Pro

Here is a link to the UK website - showing sizes etc

http://www.coopertire.co.uk/tyres/off-road-4x4/summer/discoverer-stt-pro

I think we all agree these are a great looking tyre ... I looked at them when researching tyres for my own Rubicon ... however, as my Jeep is my daily driver (and only vehicle), I decided the 85% off-road bias was too extreme for my needs. Also I don't think they are officially a snow tyre ... which is important to me. They are a very new tyre and doing very well in initial reviews ... time will tell how they wear and how that wear affects their road manners. I am sure they are great in the mud and tyres are always an individual choice ...

One thing that alarmed me was the speed rating for these tyres - they are either Q (which is fine as most of us won't be going above 99 mph in our Jeeps); or K which is only 68 mph ... a bit on the low side.

I chose the BFG AT KO2 ... a sort of aggressive AT or "hybrid" :glasses:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=20&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDoQtwIwCTgK&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D__i9fjdzfPQ&ei=WPvuVLrPG9DlaLmegqAK&usg=AFQjCNFWgufDGddbxIsaxOBH2arMXebwIw&bvm=bv.86956481,d.d2s

• Platinum Member

I have the BFG KO2s on their way for mine at the moment.

I love off road, but its mainly on road that they will be used for, and I needed that EU winter tyre rating, so it kind of sealed the deal on the KO2 instead of the coopers

• Platinum Member

I have had BFG 285/70 r17 on the stock rims on my previous red 2 door and now the Baja Peril (the same wheels & tyres actually).

Don't know how many miles over the two vehicles they have done (plus the 500 miles that Steve put on them before I bought them of him) and they are pretty good all rounder wet or dry. I'm not often off road, but when I do the only thing that bugs me with them is how long it takes before the last of the trapped stones come out of the tread. Have to check my mirrors before getting up to 60/70 on the A1m coming out of Weston, don't want to pee of to many other road users of now do I  :icon_e_wink:

Was thinking of changing to another brand as and when, but the more one reads threads like this the more confusing it all seems lol.