R66 JKU - Clint's new Rubicon build

Clint

• Platinum Member

Cheers for this.

How much on road vs off road do you do on the Coopers??

90% on road but a hard 10% off road. These tyres will be on the JK come December when me and the wife solo it from UK to Morocco and back via France and Spain. Also intending on running these for the Budapest to Bamako (a new set) and they get weekly thrashings on my local lanes and whilst out shooting/stalking/smashing up vermin. The main negative of them is that they are piss poor in the wet, with ESP off you can pretty much drift around a roundabout as if it were an M3 BMW.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Front AEV Bumper, Warn Zeon 8S winch and IPF spots installed this weekend. I did have a few challenges with this install and definitely took longer than expected. I guess that is what I get for doing it myself. A few trial fits were made before I realised certain things needed to be done first, like threading the synthetic rope onto the winch prior to fitting it, and also re-installing the grill before fitting the bumper. I am happy with the result. Back to work for a week and will have to see what gets tackled next weekend weather permitting.

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.c8f00475b267575d093f62303fd6a321.JPG

• Platinum Member

Looks great Clint :great:

Always impressed when people do this work themselves ... I'm sure that front bumper ain't light :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Great looking Jeep!!

Good to see people tackling their mods themselves too. It's half the pleasure of owning a Jeep.  :great:

• Platinum Member

Slowly but surely getting through the items on the modifications list as follows:-

AEV Rear bumper and Tyre Carrier

AEV Fuel Caddy

AEV Hi lift Jack mount and Hi lift jack

CB Antenna

Cabling for Backup light (Backup light to follow once ordered)

Third brake light and backup camera (Works very nicely with the factory 18" wheels, may get slight obstruction with larger wheels)

Number plate bracket and light relocation

Rear Fog lights installed into AEV bumper

Next on the list is the dual battery tray with 2 x Odyssey extreme batteries and an SPOD switch panel with the G-Screen monitor for the dual batteries.

IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.db635c455088e2e0cd5271e9059d75fe.JPG

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.2a91376ff808bb67d7120d51fe626052.JPG

• Platinum Member

I went for the recessed fog lights. Cutting the bumper was a bit nerve wrecking, but slow and steady is the way!!!

• Platinum Member

if you don't mind could you send me a link or give me a heads up to which ones and wear you got them from.

thanks.

• Platinum Member

Slowly but surely

Next on the list is the dual battery tray with 2 x Odyssey extreme batteries and an SPOD switch panel with the G-Screen monitor for the dual batteries.

Looking really great Clint :great:

With the SPOD - are you also going to fit "the Source" in the engine bay?

I contacted the manufacturers and they didn't have a current solution for the the RHD Wranglers. But as you are (obviously) doing things yourself ... maybe you have found a way to mount it somewhere. If so, please share.

I already have an a-pillar switch panel ... but things are getting a bit messy around the battery area and I keep having to get seperate harnesses for each accessory - not the end of the world, but the Source appears to be a very neat solution.

Looking really great Clint :great:

With the SPOD - are you also going to fit "the Source" in the engine bay?

I contacted the manufacturers and they didn't have a current solution for the the RHD Wranglers. But as you are (obviously) doing things yourself ... maybe you have found a way to mount it somewhere. If so, please share.

I already have an a-pillar switch panel ... but things are getting a bit messy around the battery area and I keep having to get seperate harnesses for each accessory - not the end of the world, but the Source appears to be a very neat solution.

Not to steal Clint's thunder, but with a bit of work the source fits with RHD and CRD, both not listed as a current solution from Spod.

Will be nice to see what Clint does for his petrol solution.

WP_20160502_14_00_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.bbaa50ac39f37796ae571add6269c9ab.jpg

WP_20160430_002.thumb.jpg.95a352a53c504f0680284bda5e6015f2.jpg

• Platinum Member

Not to steal Clint's thunder, but with a bit of work the source fits with RHD and CRD, both not listed as a current solution from Spod.

Will be nice to see what Clint does for his petrol solution.

Impressive ingenuity Neal :great:

Looks like an SPOD bracket, somewhat modified. As you know the layout for the V6 petrol is somewhat different to the diesel ... let's see if Clint has "gone for it" :glasses:

Impressive ingenuity Neal :great:

Looks like an SPOD bracket, somewhat modified. As you know the layout for the V6 petrol is somewhat different to the diesel ... let's see if Clint has "gone for it" :glasses:

Thanks Kerry,

V6 should be easier, more space under the bonnet. Cant do dual batteries with the CRD

• Platinum Member

Today I have completed the SPOD installation and the Dual Battery tray with G-Screen monitor. Both items are fantastic pieces of kit and were fairly straight forward installs. On the SPOD bracket, I removed the SPOD controller and inverted the bracket to match the left hand drive orientation, but on the opposite side. Works great with a few washers as spacers between the bracket and the car body.

The next big install will be the AEV 3.5" RS suspension upgrade with the AEV Salta rims and Duratrac 315x70x17 tyres. This is going to have to wait for a few clear days over the weekend which happens not to be this weekend thanks to the heavy rain forecast for Saturday in the Reading area. Maybe next weekend!!!

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.bed277a7579fd41522fe024930c4cc37.JPG

IMG_0371.thumb.JPG.7edb38baf869b66c7fea4b87f23bac6f.JPG

IMG_0372.thumb.JPG.4ee1832c5812e46ce3bdeee3ee9ec2bc.JPG

IMG_0375.thumb.JPG.f68c3aaeb64c20fc45ee30588a9297b9.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thanks Neal. My hands are a bit worse for wear with the cold plus a couple of scratches that I did not notice at the time possibly because my hands were numb. I am really pleased with how this build is turning out and having fun doing it too.  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing Clint ... as Neal has already said, the SOURCE (part of the SPOD) installation looks really neat :great:

:alien: Perhaps SPOD themselves should look at what you've done ...

and then they could officially sell a kit for RHD Wranglers :alien:

• Platinum Member

Finally got the AEV 3.5" RS Suspension lift with drop brackets completed and installed the new Salta Wheels and Duratrac 315x70x17 tyres. Maybe now I will get a chance to drive it for a while as I have not had much opportunity while I have been working on it. At least it is now back in a driveable state at last. I am really pleased with how this build is turning out. There will no doubt be more to follow because it is a Jeep and never really finished. :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:

IMG_0376.thumb.JPG.61bddb3700173c1a6c896d6d9c9ceb49.JPG

IMG_0382.thumb.JPG.e82641f991e1e0129b8a5566d15afbb8.JPG

• Platinum Member

Yes! I sent a message on the Slindon events page to say I have booked on. It will be great to finally catch up with everyone again. :great:

• Platinum Member

Finally the day has come when I get to test out my work and check that everything works as it should. Very Happy. All works fantastically well. I have a few tweaks to make to the front brake lines, rock rail trim at the rear end as it is a bit close for comfort, and rear track bar bracket needs some adjustments due to the track bar bolt catching on the right rear coil spring. Very impressed with the handling.  :great:

IMG_0391.thumb.JPG.774ead7d999695638e72f0710815521a.JPG

IMG_0393.thumb.JPG.bee604b8352b9c9a5f7b7482cd6b6834.JPG

IMG_0389.thumb.JPG.70d9e9755de0d56875d074c4cf1486c1.JPG

IMG_0390.thumb.JPG.e307da4bf7153bdb87fdf82e4750ea9c.JPG