End of the Summer......

TimC

• Platinum Member

Yesterday I put the hard top back on the JK and while I was taking off the soft top I came to the shocking realisation that I had not had the JK completely open all Summer! The CJ yes but the JK, no  :icon_e_surprised:. was this to be bourn? No Sir!

So, soft top off and took her out for an open air blast down the dual carriageway to the M1 and then returned on some backroads. Was only a short half hour or so run but was smiling all the way, from listening to the V6 accelerating down the slip road to pootling back along the country lanes  in the Autumn sun, during which I came to a second less shocking realisation - the Jeep Wrangler ( and CJ  :icon_cool:) is an absolutely brilliant and unique car and I love it! Well this wasn't so much of a realisation, more a reinforcement of something I already knew.  I may be preaching to the converted but the JKU Rubicon is one of the best cars I've ever had ( If I was forced to choose just one it would be the CJ7 for sentimental reasons but the JK pushes it very close ). I may get laughed at work because it doesn't have a one touch remote opening boot and Autoexpress may have voted it second worst SUV on the planet but I wouldn't swap it for anything.

And the weird thing is no one else has them, well apart from a few odd types who frequent this forum, the vast majority of the British driving public don't even consider them and the vast majority of the 4x4 buying public buy Landrovers, bizzare!  :icon_e_surprised: not that I have anything against Landrovers, they just aren't as much fun.  The only other Jeep I saw on my short morning fresh air run was a GC at a roundabout.

Anyway, thought I would share that, long may Jeep continue to build the Wrangler ( without turning it into a battery powered family SUV where the number of iPad stowage compartments and USB ports is the prime design criteria: Disco 5 )

Are Jeeps cool? Well, hell yes they are !!  :icon_rr:

IMG_0748.thumb.JPG.91674387861539d0d667d141aea84527.JPG

• Platinum Member

Yesterday I put the hard top back on the JK and while I was taking off the soft top I came to the shocking realisation that I had not had the JK completely open all Summer! The CJ yes but the JK, no  :icon_e_surprised:. was this to be bourn? No Sir!

So, soft top off and took her out for an open air blast down the dual carriageway to the M1 and then returned on some backroads. Was only a short half hour or so run but was smiling all the way, from listening to the V6 accelerating down the slip road to pootling back along the country lanes  in the Autumn sun, during which I came to a second less shocking realisation - the Jeep Wrangler ( and CJ  :icon_cool:) is an absolutely brilliant and unique car and I love it! Well this wasn't so much of a realisation, more a reinforcement of something I already knew.  I may be preaching to the converted but the JKU Rubicon is one of the best cars I've ever had ( If I was forced to choose just one it would be the CJ7 for sentimental reasons but the JK pushes it very close ). I may get laughed at work because it doesn't have a one touch remote opening boot and Autoexpress may have voted it second worst SUV on the planet but I wouldn't swap it for anything.

And the weird thing is no one else has them, well apart from a few odd types who frequent this forum, the vast majority of the British driving public don't even consider them and the vast majority of the 4x4 buying public buy Landrovers, bizzare!  :icon_e_surprised: not that I have anything against Landrovers, they just aren't as much fun.  The only other Jeep I saw on my short morning fresh air run was a GC at a roundabout.

Anyway, thought I would share that, long may Jeep continue to build the Wrangler ( without turning it into a battery powered family SUV where the number of iPad stowage compartments and USB ports is the prime design criteria: Disco 5 )

It is a JEEP THING!

• Platinum Member

Been doing exactly the same today Tim. Summers gone for the Tj hardtops back on then treated it to a bath.    :glasses:

IMG_20161002_163435.thumb.jpg.72513207977ffa89311afff83d374acf.jpg

IMG_20161002_143046.thumb.jpg.e7a287c6404c7463e2f0b8bacea4a52f.jpg

IMG_20161002_163407.thumb.jpg.98510b5a0ccb5306e4b8dedbceebe031.jpg

• Platinum Member

Yup, hardtop on last weekend but I did the spend the summer naked and when I could, doorless.

• Platinum Member

Jim: it may sound like a cheap tag line but it's true...... it IS a Jeep thing..........you understand  :icon_e_biggrin:

Woody: Those look suspiciously like your old tyres !! How did the regear go? Have you got your new ones on for Hawkstone? see you there.

Tim: good to hear you've gone totally naturist, top and doors. Run the CJ (and sometimes the YJ) doors off in the summer, there is nothing quite like a completely open Jeep, but have had the JK two years and not had the doors off it  at all yet, tut tut  :icon_rolleyes: shame on me! something for next year. Have you got mirror relocators ? nice username btw  :icon_e_wink:

Stew: Does that count ?? .....OK yes it counts  :great: 

• Platinum Member

Tim your eagle eyed ,

regear was done but not purchased any rubber yet still deciding wether to fit 31" to  these wheels or bite the bullet and get new 8" wide wheels and go for 33's

thinking of being sensible for a chang and going the 31 route .

See you next Sunday  :great:

• Platinum Member

Tim your eagle eyed ,

regear was done but not purchased any rubber yet still deciding wether to fit 31" to  these wheels or bite the bullet and get new 8" wide wheels and go for 33's

thinking of being sensible for a chang and going the 31 route .

See you next Sunday  :great:

Woody, why be sensible? Just go for the new wheels and tyres  :oops: You spent a lot on the re-gear to get on to te 33's in the first place  :icon_e_biggrin:

• 1 year later...
  • Platinum Member

Well, pretty much a repeat of two years ago ?. was a lovely late summer early autumn day on Sunday and time to refit the hard top for the winter, I always like the swap the tops over day at the change of season as it makes me feel like I'm getting a new car.  As previously: not had the JK fully open all summer in spite of us actually having some decent weather for a change (the only practical weekend I really had for doing this it chucked it down ?) so before the hard top went back on took it for a little spin and a lovely green lane near me in the sun with the top off. The vehicle behind in the first pic was two guys in a discovery who pulled in behind me at the start of the lane with a " is this a green lane mate? can we follow you?" Only a 2WD lane in the dry this one but very enjoyable and, as usual, being out in the jeep in the sun with the top off....can't beat it. 

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

Put mine back on 2 weeks ago.  Lashed it down and started leaking immediately! Silicon grease now applied. 

Agree though - feels like a new car.