Windoze or Linux or both

Tony Bennett

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Hi All, my W7 64 bit laptop must be about 8 or 9 years old now and I am thinking of replacing it.  The wife has a windoze 10 pc and I absolutely cant stand it, everything seems to be such a rigmarole to get done.

I was thinking of going down the lines of Linux and in particular Ubuntu, only because that seems to be in vogue at the moment.

Does anyone have any huge computer experience/knowledge please?

I like to play the odd game, only the original version of COD and its UO expansion pack and it is very difficult on this laptop as the Video CArd is below par.

So, do I get a dual boot machine or go totally Linux? Does anyone know if all my wondoze software, office 2007, photoshp etc will work without any hassle in Urbunu or will I be cussing trying to find emulators and such?

Hope the question makes sense.

Tony

Buy a Mac :great:

We have windows 10 on both kids laptops and to be fair it's better than 8 but I can't stand it , definitely better when you have touchscreen. It awful on our home PC without .

I'm a mac convert , will never go back [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

Buy a Mac :great:

We have windows 10 on both kids laptops and to be fair it's better than 8 but I can't stand it , definitely better when you have touchscreen. It awful on our home PC without .

I'm a mac convert , will never go back [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:great:

I Run Apple Macs in my office including server versions for last 18 years and don't need to get an IT firm in to set up a new machine! Resale value is also very good when it's time to upgrade!

• Platinum Member

ooops .... seem to have strayed onto the wrong forum, was looking for the Jeep Owners Club  :scratch:..sorry

:icon_lol:

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

ooops .... seem to have strayed onto the wrong forum, was looking for the Jeep Owners Club  :scratch:..sorry

:icon_lol:

It's OK, your post was off topic so completely on topic in this section in an odd sort of way

• Platinum Member

There are a few things to think about?

How much do you know about Linux/Ubuthu?

It may be free, but not much talks to it without much hassle.

What do you need it for ?

If for simple tasks and you want something easy,cheap and basically disposable, go Windows all day long. You can pick up a new laptop for general use for less than £300. Use it till it dies and go out and buy another 3 years down the line.

If you want it for the look and easy of use?

Macbook. But they pricey, none of your current bought software will work with it.

As a person that sells IT support and kit to all markets, for home use, go cheap and replaceable.

Tech changes so fast, in 3 years, you may have everything in the cloud and using your ipad to play your "locally host" type games and will never look at a expensive standalone kit again.

Just my 2 cents.

Any help needed, just give me a shout.

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Thanks for the overview.

I hate Ipads.

I do not like windows 10, I have a desktop with it loaded and don't use it leaving it for the wife who doesn't use windows 10 other than to vpn into her work

I have yet to see a laptop under 300 that has the video guts to play games but I search with renewed hope.

Ubuntu, I will probably bu a win 10 machine, put VRM on it and load in Ubuntu, or more probably Mint, load WINE and Steam and never have to worry again.

First, 17 inch screen laptops.

regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

get a windows 10 machine, resistance is futile  :icon_massacre:

on the plus side means you can play Gears of War 4 cross platform.............. or at least I would be if my so called pre order had arrived  :grrrrrr: