Want to start green laning

Stephen18991

• Platinum Member

Hi there everyone I have just brought my jeep and would like start green laning. I live in Lincolnshire does any one know of some good routes and also tips

Thanks

• Platinum Member

Hi Stephen, welcome to the JOC  :wav1

I don't know any routes in Lincolnshire but If you've not done any green laning before here's what I'd recommend to get started:

Go down your local WH Smiths and buy some OS maps of your local area, either 1:50000 Landranger or 1:25000 explorer, and a set of fluorescent highlighter pens. Sit down with the maps and mark up all the Byways ( BOATs) shown on the map. Join GLASS via the link on this forum at the top, it's £36.00 a year but it gives you access to Trailwise which is a resource which gives you a huge amount of additional information on all the rights of way, use this to get extra info about the trails on the OS maps such as if there are any permanent or seasonal restrictions etc. Once you have that head out one weekend and do a recce, doesn't need to be in the jeep and you can walk it in part, it's just to see if it is in fact driveable ( ie someone hasn't blocked it off or it's totally overgrown ). Then having checked out the routes you want find at least one other likeminded individual with a 4x4 ( you could post something up here) get yourself a recovery strop and a couple of D shackles and Bob is your uncle, off for some green laning fun! Bear in mind green lane etiquette they are still public roads

** always green lane responsibly**

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

Stephen,

As Tim said above, but most of all find a buddy to come along with you as you don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to be recovered. Also if you decide to take it up start preparing the KJ with more minimum equipment so you don't end up damaging it. If you need help there just ask. Plenty of advise and recommendation (even too much some times).

Fil.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Tim and Fil will start with that info and yer trying to find someone round here that does the same because wounldnt go on my own. Just need to start making the jeep better for off road if now

• Platinum Member

Thanks Tim and Fil will start with that info and yer trying to find someone round here that does the same because wounldnt go on my own. Just need to start making the jeep better for off road if now

Stephen,

If you find any out in Lincolnshire, let me.  I have family out there and could be tempted, especially if you find any in the Wolds.

• Platinum Member

Yer will deffently let you know been looking there a few short ones but not found any that go on for a bit. Just ordered a map so goin to start searching

Thanks stephen

• Platinum Member

Stephen,

This is the email address & contact for the Lincolnshire area rep for Glass:

Email: lincolnshire.rep@glass-uk.org

Name: Alex Hill ( as of an old Glass Mag of a year ago)

Tel: 01529 460497

Hope this helps to put you in the right direction. Don't be put off if they start giving you hassle that you run a Jeep, not all the members do. Our Group East of England is a very mixed one and makes for very good banter.

Fil.

• Platinum Member

hi Stephen welcome aboard , i'll look at trailwise and see whats about lincolnshires a big area so should be some  :wav1