To Lift or Not To Lift....

TimC

• Platinum Member

.... that is the question.

So.... after Thetford Forest the other weekend I'm thinking a lift may have to be on the cards for the JK. My problem is this: If I run the Off Road tyres, which are STT PRO 285/70 17 ( about 32") I think I do get a bit a scuffing occasionally over the bumps. It's not bad and surprisingly it seems to be more at the front than the rear ( where the tyre has least clearance)  but I have a steel bumper on the front so maybe that doesn't help. BUT, I still want to run the stock wheels/tyres for on road ( 95% of the time I use it ). As the stock wheels are 7.5" wide I can't really go to a much bigger AT tyre without spacers as a) they won't fit on the rim and b) I can't afford another set of new tyres at the moment anyway , there's nothing wrong with the Goodyears. So if I lift it to accommodate the MTs then I don't want the stock wheels to look tiny, and therefore stupid, when I have them on which will be most of the time. I've been thinking about a Terraflex 1.5" levelling kit ( 2" front 1" rear spacers ) a la Jeepjimboy which hopefully will give me enough to clear the STT PROs ( and isn't to expensive) but does anyone know how this would look with the stock 245/75 17 ( about 30") tyres?

I've noticed Jim ( Volante ) is running BFGs on the stock rims, what size Jim?

Also how much can you lift the JK before you have to fit new shocks as well ?

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Tim 

• Platinum Member

hi tim, i have a 1.5" teraflex performance levelling kit for sale i took off my jk 2 door.  it would give you the clearance to run 285 easy. PM me if your interested. its done about 9000 miles, i put a 2.5 on now so no need for it. would only provide the 1.5" on a jk not a jku, what have you got?

its the spring lift not spacers, so will help with your steel bumpers too

as for shocks, you can run the standard shocks up to about 2" lift. dont need to replace them for a levelling kit

• Administrators

Hi Tim,

This is what we ran on Alison's JK when she had it Basically 2" OME lift kit and 33" Mickey Thomson MTZ  LT275/70R18 Used it for over 70K plus in this format and did many overland trips too! Do prefer the AEV 2" kit though slightly better ride and better when fully loaded! (dozer originally had the 2.5 AEV kit)

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,1142.0.html

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

I have 285/70/17 BFG KM2's on stock rims. I wanted to go as big as I could while keeping my stock 10th Anniversary rims. The tire manufacturer also recommended 8 to 9 inch rims if going larger than the 285/70/17's

2.5 inch Teraflex lift and I did go with spacers to bring the tyres out to be flush with the wheel flares.  That was for looks not clearance necessity.

• Platinum Member

Thanks all for the feedback  :great:

thanks for the offer Steve, it is a JKU not a JK, could be interested if it will fit I'll have a look on the Teraflex site and let you know.

Jim, didn't realise you could go to 285s on the stock 7.5" rims ! like you, wanted to keep the stock Rubicon wheels as I like them. Maybe we can have a chat at Hawkstone and I can have a quick look at your setup.

Cheers

Tim 

• Platinum Member

Thanks all for the feedback  :great:

thanks for the offer Steve, it is a JKU not a JK, could be interested if it will fit I'll have a look on the Teraflex site and let you know.

Jim, didn't realise you could go to 285s on the stock 7.5" rims ! like you, wanted to keep the stock Rubicon wheels as I like them. Maybe we can have a chat at Hawkstone and I can have a quick look at your setup.

Cheers

Tim

No problem Tim,

as the lift is springs not spacers, it will fit, but wont give the heavier JKU the advertised lift as the JK  its meant for

• Platinum Member

No problem Tim,

as the lift is springs not spacers, it will fit, but wont give the heavier JKU the advertised lift as the JK  its meant for

Yes, thanks Steve, I just had a look and the JKU and JK have two different part numbers so springs must be rated slightly differently. Spacer levelling kit is just one part number for both JK and JKU ( obvs just a spacer ! ) Still at the umming and ahing stage at the moment but might drop you a line if your lift still available.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

I decided on a 2.5 AEV lift with the cooper STT Pro tyres as it should give a good balance of on road and off road use, without rubbing and affecting MPG too much. From the forums a lot of people go 35" which I think looks great on 4drs but a bit big on the 2 doors.

Sure it will look great whichever way you choose to go :)

• Platinum Member

Hi Tim,

I decided on a 2.5 AEV lift with the cooper STT Pro tyres as it should give a good balance of on road and off road use, without rubbing and affecting MPG too much. From the forums a lot of people go 35" which I think looks great on 4drs but a bit big on the 2 doors.

Sure it will look great whichever way you choose to go :)

Hi Daniel,

well, I would have gone the same as you, 2.5" lift straight off, if I was just going to go to 32"/33" MT tyres on some nice wheels...........however for some reason I've decided that I'm going to run 285 STTs on modular for off road and keep the stock rims with ATs for on road so I'm going for a compromise that gives me just enough lift to accommodate the 32" MTs while not making the 245 ATs look silly. In the long run will probably end up going full lift , but not for a while yet. Best looking 3 options so far are: Teraflex budget boost 1.5" spring lift from Steve...only it's for a JK not a JKU, or Teraflex 1.5" spacer levelling kit ( probably 1st choice) or RT off road 1.75" spacer lift only don't know much about RT off road, anyone know anything about them?

Oh, and nice Rubicon by the way, I had to wait 9 months for mine so you've not done too badly.

Cheers