WK repairs required

Surfer

• Platinum Member

We have been advised that the following repairs need to be done on the Jeep.

Replacement glow plugs on Cylinder’s 3 & 6 

Replacement front lower balljoints x2

Replacement inner steering arms & outer track rod ends

Replacement n/s/f wheel bearing assy

Front axle support bracket & upper mounting bush

Replacement front anti roll bar links x2

Replacement front lower wishbone’s x2

As they are mostly expensive repairs what would you rate as being the most urgent repairs from a safety aspect?  The Jeep feels alright to drive except on very bumpy roads when it does a bit of a jig with knocks now and then.  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

Hi,

Rebuilt the whole front and rear ends on my TJ a year and a half ago, most parts came from eBay at great prices, if you get the parts I'd say you could do 70% of the work yourself. If not that way inclined it's difficult to pick any one thing to start with as all will need doing in quick succession.

• Platinum Member

I was quoted for the above repairs as if they were to be done seperately and altogether it came out at about £2000!  If I had them done all at once not sure if it would work out cheaper as I am not a mechanic and half the above stuff si totally meaningless to me. The vehicle is also due to for its 100,000 mile service in November which is approximately another £500.

• Platinum Member

Suggest you show the list to a good local mechanic and see what he says. Beware the likes of Halfords who have a habit of 'upselling' i.e. trying to get you to have extra work done that's unnecessary. (My wife was told she needed all new brake discs and pads for her Honda - we took it to National Tyres and they did a detailed report saying everything was fine.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

On second thoughts just take the car to a good local mechanic without showing him the list and see what he comes up with independently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

looking at that list where they say it needs  2 lower ball joints and 2 lower wishbones I'm guessing by that  they mean the lower control arms these come fitted with new ball joints and bushes basically a 4 bolt removal and replace I've just done similar with my commander ..the anti roll bar links again couple of bolts in and out  and the inner and outer tie rods for the steering I was quoted a couple of hours for that job basically whats required to the front end 'if' it needs done should be done on one shot as there is a lot of repeat steps and time wasted to go back and do bits at a time if that makes sense.

• Platinum Member

looking at that list where they say it needs  2 lower ball joints and 2 lower wishbones I'm guessing by that  they mean the lower control arms these come fitted with new ball joints and bushes basically a 4 bolt removal and replace I've just done similar with my commander ..the anti roll bar links again couple of bolts in and out  and the inner and outer tie rods for the steering I was quoted a couple of hours for that job basically whats required to the front end 'if' it needs done should be done on one shot as there is a lot of repeat steps and time wasted to go back and do bits at a time if that makes sense.

What sort of price were you quoted for the job?  We tow a large caravan and also go across to the continent and doubt want any issues.  Rather fix the Jeep as it has bene well looked after with regular proper servicing as recommended in the service book than go out and buy another vehicle

• Platinum Member

I bought the parts myself from a Jeep dealer on ebay and a local 4x4 garage fitted them lower controls and inner and out tie rods along with a diff bushing was around £400 all