New CJ7 owner (Richard).

Chebbs

• Platinum Member

Let’s just say I’ve wanted one for as long as I can remember but life takes over and you don’t always get what you want. I’ve settled for land rovers in the past out of desperation and availability but they’re just not the same.

My plan was for a CJ7 RHD with a V8 but again I think I was dreaming (at a price I wanted to pay) so this brings me to plan A and plan B.

Plan B: I’ve got myself a CJ7 1980 with a 2.5 litre crossflow engine, 0-60 in 15 minutes and has an oil leak from what appears to be the crank seal. Not a bad leak but enough to be annoying so I’m looking for a set of seals and gasket for the bottom end.

Plan A: I got a Rover V8 to put in it. Why not Chevy I hear you say, price and availability is the quick answer; if you know of a small block for less than £500 running I’m interested. The Rover V8 has a bad rep but let’s not forget it started life as a Buick and from the info I gathered it’s the bit’s bolted on not the block itself. As this is just a toy for driving around the Cornish lanes 150-200hp is more than enough, I know the straight 6 has close to that but there’s something about the sound of a V8. At the moment the Jeep has a T4 with what sounds like the beginnings of worn layshaft bearings but I think I’ve found an AX-15. So my thought is build a drive train on the garage floor before I put it in the Jeep. Now looking for a bellhousing to connect the two or get a Rover one welded and machined (unless someone has a better idea).

It’s been 25 years since I’ve restored a car and I vowed never again, a 74 Firebird and 76 XJS V12 (Nasty), lack of experience funds and time meant it was never finished to my satisfaction, but I did learn a lot and got quite good at welding.

Finally I’m after a pair of front wings, I can Tig the ones I got but a swap is so much easier!

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club Richard  :wav2

I've got a pair of front wings you can have off an 84 CJ7. Not pristine but OK, free if you can collect if you're passing Milton Keynes.

Cheers

Tim 

• Platinum Member

Do you have any picture and an idea of price? Unfortunately I'm nowhere near but can arrange a courier. Thanks.

• Platinum Member

Hi Richard,

I'm away at the moment, will get you some pics next week and email or post them up.

Price ( for the wings ) is free to a good home. I got these along with a tub, windshield and other bits for a restoration I did a couple of years ago but never used them. Have got some other CJ bits and bobs if you're interested.

Don't really fancy couriering them as difficult to pack but could bring them to a meet if you are planning on going to any.

Hope to see some pics of your project too as she goes along  :great:

Cheers

Tim

• Platinum Member

Thanks, really appreciate it. I’m at the beginning so anything you can spare. I can’t do this weekend as picking up a gearbox but I’ll speak to her ladyship and find out if she fancies a trip up country. I fully understand the packing issue, I'm the same.

• Platinum Member

Great pics Richard  :great:  nice CJ7.

I have attached pictures of the wings. They are not bad, no serious rust through anywhere except the plate on the left one where the old absorber used to sit but I'd probably just take it off altogether. If you want more pics I can email them.

However you have the "Howes Motors" sidelights and indicators as two separate parts, same as mine, these wings have the later sidelight/indicators all in one block like the YJ with only one hole through for the wiring, which is actually why I didn't use them as I wanted to keep the same look. I ended up getting two brand new ones from Lighthouse Jeep which was about £250.00

If you want them you're welcome to have them any time, no rush.

Good luck with the build

Cheers

Tim 

IMG_0742.thumb.JPG.47254d2f8160d1f31df998601dac7cc3.JPG

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.67569e7ce02d7678b8f495b10826aa43.JPG