Jeep XJ Winch Bumper, Tire Carrier & Engine Rebuild

MCQBushcraft

• Platinum Member

Been very busy on the XJ recently and thought I would share the progress.

I unfortunately had a stud snap that held on one of the cylinder head rockers. There are two studs for each of the four rockers and this one must have snapped a long time ago because the other one had almost ripped itself out of the cylinder head. I tried helicoiling them but to no joy so it left me no choice, had to take all four heads off and rebuild the thing.

A garage quoted me over £1200 for the job and were keen to take the jeep and heads so I decided to do the job myself. Took me four weeks on and off but did an almost full rebuild including stripping the engine bay, bed-lining it and replacing all the hoses while flushing the cooling system. Got it all acid bathed so shes running great now and the open air ways have certainly helped the engine breath.

Some less complex installs were the winch bumper and swing arm tire carrier. Apart from rock sliders the outer is about there for me as shes heavy enough already. The tire carrier on the back has freed up some boot space but the weight is significant despite its appearance. Its very heavy! I may remove it but not sure yet.

Anyway thanks for reading. 

IMG_0811.thumb.JPG.6f025e415a73a72b9c50843821081006.JPG

IMG_0810.thumb.JPG.f9158a470316dcecc7f55220c8a2b319.JPG

IMG_0813.thumb.JPG.8dfe9d9b768600f34b3da9ed5d3bb526.JPG

IMG_0812.thumb.JPG.a6f1071b0de0cc0f1cc0c056c07152ac.JPG

• Platinum Member

Where did you get the rear tyre carrier from I have been toying with the idea as I currently have mine on the roof but  there are times when I need the additonal roof space.

Love the look of the Jeep by the way.

• Platinum Member

great looking jeep . like the tyre carrier . was it a custom make ? could do with that type of thing for my commander ,may have to buy some box section and make one up  :great:

• Platinum Member

Where did you get the rear tyre carrier from I have been toying with the idea as I currently have mine on the roof but  there are times when I need the additonal roof space.

Love the look of the Jeep by the way.

I saw it on ebay a couple of months ago, made by an English fabrication company back in 1996 called WOOLER LESTER ENGINEERING ltd. Was very cheap but mainly as the seller had very little idea about it. Its well made but very heavy which is a downside as you probably see on the rear suspension.

Many thanks, its getting there.

• Platinum Member

great looking jeep . like the tyre carrier . was it a custom make ? could do with that type of thing for my commander ,may have to buy some box section and make one up  :great:

I think it must of been as it was made in the UK by WOOLER LESTER ENGINEERING ltd back in 1996. You could certainly make one with box section. If you want some more photos I'm happy to post some. Many thanks.

• Platinum Member

Great looking  XJ heres a picture of rear carrier on one of my XJs

Very nice, like the way it can open a couple of ways. Looks well armored too.

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

It's so you don't have to lift the wheel onto the holder when it's flat and muddy

Ah clever, that makes sense.