Project XJ

RichBris86

• Platinum Member

I had bad vibration as but not until I went above 4 inch lift but each XJ is different. Cured mine with a TC drop.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RichBris86

• Fourpot

• SavMan

• V

• Platinum Member

well after seeing how ridiculous the cost of a tc drop kit is, im now making my own, which im hoping will cure my vibe issue, as I didn't have it before the lift. il see how it goes, I did look at the UV's while I was under the car, and they are in pretty good condition, no play at all really.

• Platinum Member

I made my own it can't be more than £5 in parts. Some box section and longer bolts and your there. There's a guy in Australia who has a template online that makes it even easier will see if I can dig out the link.

Here's mine

IMG_20170221_104931.jpg.616d23f9efbfbe20a5c675433ead2d93.jpg

• Platinum Member

so for those of you who are looking at lifting an XJ, the torque specs for the main components are as follows.

lower control arms (both ends) 180Nm

rear leafspring front pivot bolt 156Nm

rear leafspring/shackle bolt 108Nm

shackle/rear frame bolt 156Nm

U-bolts for axle 70Nm

its also a good idea to use a decent amount of copper grease on the bolts, particularly if they are old and rusty as it helps get them back in and out again if needed.

• Platinum Member

so ive started my drop brackets for my TC Drop, making them from 50 x 25 x 3mm box steel. just need to clean them up and paint them ready to fit tomorrow.

1_-_50mm.thumb.jpg.0a0f93cbefbaaf8eef95a4e8c07c4b01.jpg

2_-_25mm.thumb.jpg.dbdbce8f8c80a94fa4d02a6721947c0d.jpg

3_-_3mm_wall.thumb.jpg.7df9e69185d4bc9c3665e8cb7e1e4ff7.jpg

4_-_cut_to_size.thumb.jpg.de48484fe7d4a9705e07e9607e4a4d29.jpg

5_-_clean_up_ends.thumb.jpg.401893d163f94e338966cdafe9403edb.jpg

6_-_both_billets_ready_for_marking_out.thumb.jpg.cb42a5e0affd40c007d9adafe980882d.jpg

7_-_mark_out_and_centre_punch.thumb.jpg.462a68a5b5f799c69dbbe5b2cd5323c5.jpg

8_-_drill_pilot_holes.thumb.jpg.af821340ce464d8651b955f8756d91c1.jpg

9_-_drill_out_to_11mm.thumb.jpg.e91167b0d8d41c9f5c118365b49e6d44.jpg

10_-_all_holes_drilled.thumb.jpg.dd282ab5a05886ceea36c13cf3ccdc73.jpg

• Platinum Member

Well done, transfer case drops are a waste to buy when you can do this simple task (not saying its a no brainer) in a few hours and save yourself the hassle. You can even colour code them after the primer is on to match your Jeep. Good DIY and walkthrough.

• Platinum Member

Nice work! These look  like they'll be the poshest bits on the whole car!  :coolphotos:

Let us know how she feels after you've fitted them...

• Platinum Member

Take care getting the bolts/studs you normally have at least one snap. Have a spare nut or two handy to weld on to help get them out. Hopefully you won't need them but best to be prepared.

• Platinum Member

well those stud really did not want to come out, but out that came with a bit of weld and a big bar on the spanner, surprised they didn't snap to be honest. but at least the new brackets are in and I the nasty vibes are gone completely. very happy.

welded_nut.jpg.fde806cf314cdfc339e4da95ddb1037e.jpg

brackets_in_place.jpg.61c6ef313602254b7f69e7e061e618da.jpg

• Platinum Member

and now I have music again, well, at least from the rear speakers, got a xj radio and 6 disc changer going if anyone wants it.

new_radio.thumb.jpg.5ff87e114429c4bb26aa4fe5b38d8d14.jpg

• Platinum Member

and now I have music again, well, at least from the rear speakers, got a xj radio and 6 disc changer going if anyone wants it.

Hi Rich,  How much do you want for the radio? (don't really want the changer though).

• Platinum Member

Hi Rich,  How much do you want for the radio? (don't really want the changer though).

probably going to be more for postage TBH, its quit a lump.

probably about £10 p+p il have to take it to the postie to see how much it would cost. what sort of price you thinking?

• Platinum Member

probably going to be more for postage TBH, its quit a lump.

probably about £10 p+p il have to take it to the postie to see how much it would cost. what sort of price you thinking?

Do you have a photo? Only got a standard hole in the dash.  £20?

• Platinum Member

Just a couple of comments,

The track bar mounting hole needs redrilling to center the axle up again unless you have an adjustable track bar. The hole is generally about 1" further towards the center of the axle.

You can buy wedge shaped shims for the rear axle leaf spring mounts that rotate the axle slightly upwards. This avoids the need to drop the TC by straightening out the propshaft angles back to acceptable limits. Search for XJ leaf spring shims

• Platinum Member

Just get someone to fab a trackbar for you. Prices are not that dear for those items.

If you are putting shims on leafs you're going to invite axle wrap, something you do not want.

• Platinum Member

@ PeteS

ive looked into this track bar issue quite a bit now, and ive spoken to a few people about what the options are for this. ive also been in contact with Dave from Lama4x4, and he said that technically the axel is in the correct place, the swing/pivot of the axel is right for the rest of the steering set up. which sort of makes sense. if the car is on a heavy flex, then the axel will move through its correct position. with a longer track bar, or a repositioned hole, it would then stick to far out the passenger side. I think im going to leave it as it is for now, as id doesn't effect the drive, it just looks a bit strange if you're stood right in front of it.

I also looked at the wedges, but decided I could just make a drop kit for nearly nothing, all in all it cost me about £6 plus about 2 hours of my time.

thanks for the suggestions though.

• Platinum Member

@ PeteS

ive looked into this track bar issue quite a bit now, and ive spoken to a few people about what the options are for this. ive also been in contact with Dave from Lama4x4, and he said that technically the axel is in the correct place, the swing/pivot of the axel is right for the rest of the steering set up. which sort of makes sense. if the car is on a heavy flex, then the axel will move through its correct position. with a longer track bar, or a repositioned hole, it would then stick to far out the passenger side. I think im going to leave it as it is for now, as id doesn't effect the drive, it just looks a bit strange if you're stood right in front of it.

I also looked at the wedges, but decided I could just make a drop kit for nearly nothing, all in all it cost me about £6 plus about 2 hours of my time.

thanks for the suggestions though.

I've fitted the RC 3" lift kit like yours. I went for all new rear springs. not just the 'add a leaf' option. I don't know which way you went Rich. The full new leaves come with a slightly wedged bottom section built in, which does introduce a slight tilt of the axle to point it more up at the propshaft line.

I'm with you on the track bar. I also to Dave at Llama and now that I've put the XRC bumper and light-bar on, the axle is offset to the driver's side only a tiny bit. Once I've put the seats and interior back in and added auxilliary lights, I expect it'll be a negligble offset. If I added a winch too.....?

• Platinum Member

I've fitted the RC 3" lift kit like yours. I went for all new rear springs. not just the 'add a leaf' option. I don't know which way you went Rich. The full new leaves come with a slightly wedged bottom section built in, which does introduce a slight tilt of the axle to point it more up at the propshaft line.

I'm with you on the track bar. I also to Dave at Llama and now that I've put the XRC bumper and light-bar on, the axle is offset to the driver's side only a tiny bit. Once I've put the seats and interior back in and added auxilliary lights, I expect it'll be a negligble offset. If I added a winch too.....?

yea I went for the full ne spring set up, I don't really see the point in add a leaf set ups, they must only last a few months before they sag.

looking at my xj from the front, the axle is only out by about half an inch, so im not that worried. ive got to stick a winch on the front yet, and a heavy roof rack as well. I haven't forgotten about the radio btw, just haven't got round to taking pictures.