Fourpot

1998 Cherokee 4.0 Ltd - Project

PDB

WOW! You do love a project Fourpot! If you are in Cheshire thats not far to pop over to Wales for some laning when she is done.

Great you re giving an old classic a new lease of life. I was watching Ronny Dahl the other day, and he had stripped out all his old Land cruiser wiring looms and replaced them with a digital system. Is anybody doing this on jeeps over here?

Fourpot
3 hours ago, PDB said:

WOW! You do love a project Fourpot! If you are in Cheshire thats not far to pop over to Wales for some laning when she is done.

Great you re giving an old classic a new lease of life. I was watching Ronny Dahl the other day, and he had stripped out all his old Land cruiser wiring looms and replaced them with a digital system. Is anybody doing this on jeeps over here?

I've no idea. My next project - maybe in 5 years, will be to electrify the Jeep and say goodbye to petrol. (although I may make up a trailer to carry a small generator and extra batteries for longer journeys). I will then re-wire the entire thing with the latest can-bus, digital and TFT gauges etc.

I've spoken to a could of companies in the UK who do classic car conversions to electric, but nothing as new as 1998 - I guess at the moment it's too difficult to cater for aircon, power steering etc.?

Fourpot

A few more things put back in the engine bay: Brake master cylinder and balancer valve, fuse box, cruise control unit. More of the loom added and re-organised.

IMG_6760.JPG

Marcus Durand

Looking really amazing, can't wait to see it when its finished.

Fourpot
On 03/05/2020 at 18:17, Marcus Durand said:

Looking really amazing, can't wait to see it when its finished.

Thank you! but i think it'll never be finished as I keep having new ideas about what to change or modify...

Fourpot

A day of scrubbing, de-rusting, painting and reassembling. Fuel tank/pump/regulator/filter, filler neck and hoses and battery tray.

95385473_627150897837088_3109609648617947136_n.jpg

95683008_627150927837085_2035766102612508672_n.jpg

95860713_627150964503748_2065475039939002368_n.jpg

Fourpot

Time to start cleaning up the engine ancillaries. Starter motor first. Covered in mud, oil and other sticky dirt. A good scrub, some surface rust taken off and Kurusted. I took the cap off and checked the rotor and brushes (there was nothing wrong with it while it was on the car, but I thought I may as well have a look to pre-empt needing new brushes at some less convenient time in the future). They were fine, so all back together and some nice Chevy orange paint to match the engine.

IMG_6817.JPG

IMG_6821.JPG

IMG_6829.JPG

Fourpot

...and on to the Aircon pipes. These were grotty and muddy and, at the front where they go to the heat-exchanger, covered in black underseal stuff. Once cleaned, I toyed with the idea of just polishing them up as they are just aluminium tubes. But they wouldn't be shiny for long so I've painted them using alloy wheel paint.  Where the steel clamps hold them to the chassis will always be a source of corrosion with just the thin paint on the clamps between steel and aluminium. So I'll add insulation tape there to prevent any future galvanic corrosion. All the seals, though good before being dismantled, will be replaced too.

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

Fourpot

...and the alternator. Not quite as dirty as the starter motor, as it sits near the top of the engine, but it was more difficult, lots of fiddly bits and a hammer, drift and socket to get the rotor out. Masking the parts to be painted orange was a long job, especially as the stator windings seem to be glued to their half of the casing. Anyway, cleaned (brushes and slip-rings were okay), primed and then more Chevy orange.

IMG_6834.JPG

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG

IMG_6861.JPG

Fourpot

On to the steering pump... This was fairly clean to start with as it's only been on the car a year or so, but anyway, Chevy orange.

IMG_6864.JPG

IMG_6868.JPG

IMG_6869.JPG

PDB

Now those colours and clean up would look great in my engine bay Fourpot. If you fancy a paid project, let me know!

Nice attention to detail. 🤗

Fourpot
11 hours ago, PDB said:

Now those colours and clean up would look great in my engine bay Fourpot. If you fancy a paid project, let me know!

Nice attention to detail. 🤗

Thank you! I don't think you'd get good value for money unless I was on £1 an hour!

Fourpot

Slight bluddy disaster and I'm thankful this is a daily driver Jeep not an E-type restoration. The garage door unlatched itself in the breeze and the lock hit the front wing. Nice dent like a centre-punch hit it. Soooo, off comes the wing, with the hope I can tap the dent back out a little from the inside. Suprisingly, the wing came off in about 10 minutes, I never realised it was that easy. Nice and solid under there and zero corrosion as there's Waxoyl right up in every crack (mud too, but that brsuhed out). I may take the other side off at some point. I've pulled the aerial/motor as although the motor whirrs when the radio goes on, the aerial doesn't come up. As I have a DAB radio, I'll just leave it off and plug the holes, maybe take it apart to see if I can make it work sometime.

CRFI2136.JPG

IMG_6872.JPG

PDB

Ouch! Reminds me to invest in dash cams for accidents of others.

It should tap and pull out. 

Fourpot
Posted (edited)

It is well over two years since I bought and dismantled my donor engine for doing up and stroking.

Here is the old crank (which has been a garden ornament for all that time) and the new one. The new one is newly forged, as opposed to the old what seems to be cast crank with the cast join visible. New one has much lighter counterweights and webs and I paid a few dollars more to get it fully balanced. You can see how much less heavy metal there is... it’s a lot lighter and was very much easier to pick up!

You can just about spot the difference in stroke too, looking at the overlap between main journals and rod journals.

I may not use it... I may just put it on the lounge table and look at it!

IMG_6897.JPG

Edited by Fourpot

Fourpot

Air con compressor dismantled for checking after I found the clutch sticking. I had no idea of the internals but was amazed at finding a 7-piston sinusoidal axial arrangement inside. Who knew? Well, probably lots of people, but not me.

Anyway, cleaned up and rotating freely now. On re-assembly, when I see my oily hands turning orange, is when I discover that A/C lube is not very nice to paint, even the engine enamel I’d used to paint the pump, hence it’s not very shiny and it's a bit grubby. I’ll have to re-paint it.

IMG_6874.JPG

IMG_6876.JPG

IMG_6877.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

PDB

Sinusoidal......I thought thats what I had sorted with my adenoids? 🤔

So thats what it looks like inside - thanks fourpot. Learning lots 👍

Fourpot
On 24/05/2020 at 11:44, PDB said:

Sinusoidal......I thought thats what I had sorted with my adenoids? 🤔

So thats what it looks like inside - thanks fourpot. Learning lots 👍

You're not the only one learning lots..! 🙄

Fourpot

My collection of orange things is growing steadily. I have also refitted the engine mount brackets and the track-bar bracket, and trial fitted the Brown Dog engine mountings.

IMG_6904.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

PDB

If there is a prize for the finest engine bay Fourpot, you will win it. All looks good enough to eat. Even the engine mounts! 👍

Fourpot
On 27/05/2020 at 07:41, PDB said:

If there is a prize for the finest engine bay Fourpot, you will win it. All looks good enough to eat. Even the engine mounts! 👍

Thank you Sir!   The last time I did anything like this was to an MGB. After it was all put back together, I went for the first start up. Ran like a dream, so sat in the driver's seat feeling happy. Decided I ought to check for leaks and such-like and found I had made the fatal error of not connecting the engine oil pressure sender at a bulkhead union, which is a pipe to the gauge, not a wire = oil all over the shiny engine and engine bay!  Moral 1 - double-check everything. Moral 2 - look at the gauges!  

• Like 1

PDB

I'm sure it'll turn out great Fourpot.

How long did it take to clean up your MGB after that little episode?

Always fancied an MGB GT but those classics a little too cramped for me.

Fourpot
On 28/05/2020 at 22:34, PDB said:

I'm sure it'll turn out great Fourpot.

How long did it take to clean up your MGB after that little episode?

Always fancied an MGB GT but those classics a little too cramped for me.

It took ages but at least it was clean oil.  The MGB has plenty of room for tall people. 

Fourpot

Titanium exhaust wrap. Header and down-pipe to the cat'.

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG