New Wheels Yay - 2016 Rubicon

Tony Bennett

• Platinum Member

So, after owning 5 Land Rovers, had the last beautiful D3 for 9 years, earning me the nick name "Grandad Truck" and being a wanna be on here for some 2 years,  I p/x'd for a JKUR or to those not in the know, a 4 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, This baby has a 3.6 petrol engine, disconnects and the ability to near enough drive up the side of a house. Whats more it scarily goes from purring to screaming along at <cough> over the ton </cough> in literally the blink of an eye. Bearing in mind it has the aerodynamics of a large brick it is truly amazing and a fun drive. I should have got it in brown however to match my trousers !

Questions so far:

1.  Why is it so low off the ground, as standard, requiring an immediate lift.

2. I appreciate it has a flat windscreen but what is the wind noise at 42 mph or higher, it sounds like an air hose being played over the right A pillar?

3. Why was my insurance companies first question on swapping, "What mods has it had"?  It's brand new and aint out the box yet mate how could it have mods !

I understand why people mod these trucks, but what to do first???

An I improve the interior to make it less coffin like and why doesn't it have arm rests, is that a mod?

AND before anyone asks....it effin brilliant.

Oh, and a further "OH" moment.

Richard Ashcroft and Westaways were bloody great.

So thanks to the 5 guys who recommended then on here and I agree, Richard will be headhunted in due course by a bigger fish.

newwheelsyay.thumb.jpg.d4535def439f5d089b755a7b71612fe3.jpg

Questions so far:

2. I appreciate it has a flat windscreen but what is the wind noise at 42 mph or higher, it sounds like an air hose being played over the right A pillar?

3. Why was my insurance companies first question on swapping, "What mods has it had"?  It's brand new and aint out the box yet mate how could it have mods !

I understand why people mod these trucks, but what to do first???

Well done Tony, no more sat on the sidelines we expect you out to play now.

As to your questions;

1. That's just perspective due to your height.......

2. Wind noise round the hard top, might not be sat down properly. Try taking off the freedom panels and putting them back on. Check the seals are seating properly as you do.

3. Because they know us all too well.

As for what to do first, come out with the club and see what you can do in standard form, then that should start you off in a direction.

Slindon might be the closest in distance and date to yourself.

Hope to see you there.

Neal

• Platinum Member

Thanks Neal.

Will check out the dates for Slindon hopefully I will be free.  ( where do I look for the dates please?)

First mods will be to sound proof the freedom panels so will have them off.

Check out the hothead headliners, think you can get them from one of the club sponsors.....

• Platinum Member

Questions so far:

Tony,

I've noticed increased wind noise when driving in windier conditions...  Aside from this, I have the get the same amount of wind noise with either top on.  You will notice drafts come in from areas you would not normally expect to have.

Word to the wise.  Being brick shaped and a heavy right foot are not a good combination on motorways.  I'm already about to have my windscreen replaced for the second time in less than 12 months. 

I'm putting this down to the shape of the vehicle and not the fact I'm possibly just jinxed...

Thanks Neal.

Will check out the dates for Slindon hopefully I will be free.  ( where do I look for the dates please?)

As mentioned check out the events page, but link will take you directly to the Slindon thread.

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,7186.0.html

• Platinum Member

Congrats a good leap to make.

I have hothead liners - v good

mine is a really quiet car, wind noise only really over 70mph

also on your list will be headlights, speakers, tyres etc etc

• Platinum Member

Congrats a good leap to make.

I have hothead liners - v good

mine is a really quiet car, wind noise only really over 70mph

also on your list will be headlights, speakers, tyres etc etc

Tim,

not added the headliner, but have replaced headlights and front fogs with LEDs.

Which speakers have you upgraded and with what.  I do find the standard setup in my 15 JKU is very very bassy.

• Platinum Member

Thanks everyone.

I have not noticed any drafts as yet just wind noise at 42 mph and above.

Will investigate eventually :icon_e_biggrin:  Perhaps it's the removable roof portion but ISTR a previous thread about leaks on top of the windscreen and the remedy was a strip of something.

So I will have to wait until it rains to see if there are any potential leaks, otherwise I will have to wait till another member checks it out in case its normal!!

The headliners will probably be my first purchase, then there is the question of total sound proofing, but to be homest apart from the wind noise it is a very quiet vehicle.

• Platinum Member

Well done Tony :great:

Enjoy!!

PS I have done "headliners" - highly recommended. Other essential upgrade is headlights - I put in Philips high output H4 bulbs - the basic oem lights are a bit scary ie not very bright :glasses:

PPS check out the "build" threads to see what others have done (and why).

But mostly ... Enjoy!!

• Platinum Member

Fenton

Ref speakers, the KIcker upgrade has been very good and the tweeter mod (changing the resistor is a £5 mod that will remove the bassyness.  Google either and they will come up.

Well done Tony.......no more sitting in the car park watching us go off onto the Salisbury Plains in our Jeeps from now on.

Look out for our next trip on the Plains to be posted......I expected you to be one of the first to be added to the list!

Jules

• Platinum Member

No, I chose Philips option from Amazon

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6069.0;attach=14037;image

I did consider Osram and I'm sure they are fine ... but Philips were recommended as being slightly brighter and a bluer white. Both similar price from memory.

• Platinum Member

So, into day 3 of ownership.

173 miles on the clock.

Observations so far:

Love the doors.  I can actually park in a parking space and get out properly with space, and on my drive I can park two cars side by side and open the doors without hitting anything.

The suspension is a bit softer than I think I am used to and it wallows in corners, has anyone else observed this, is a harder spring set an option that would work?

I have no depth perception at the front, I need to change the bumper so that I have the A frame poking up to give me some depth. It sticks out quite a distance, has anyone who has changed theirs found one that protrudes less please?

Noise, everything I have read has said that the wrangler needs sound deadening but to be honest, both my wife and I have been surprised at how quiet it is in the cab in relation to what we expected.  Forgetting the wind noise around the "A" frame drivers side, I wonder how much quieter it will be once the sound deadening is bought and fitted.

Built in Sat Nav is just fine but I have to read the manual as I hope there is an option for the map to rotate around the direction of travel with the arrow always pointing forwards as opposed to the arrow rotating towards the direction of travel.

Looking forward to finding 10 thousand songs to go on the built in hard drive but think the screen might be a tad small to watch a film on DVD.

I need garb handles and I need some sort of retracing boot lid cover.  Tinted windows are fine but you can still see that things are present in the boot.

I need to work out some form of step attachment.  The rubi is currently lower than the disco but the disco had a built in step for rear passengers, maybe a combination slider rail/ step is out there.

Money, I don't think I earn enough to buy all the things I think are necessary to personalise my Jeep so t is going to be a case of in it for the long haul as I do love this vehicle.

Now, do I save up for 32's, 35's or 37's?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Tony,

I'm waiting for my JK Rubicon to be delivered to the dealer tomorrow. Are those the new ewheels for a rubicon or did you choose to have them upgraded? Does yours also have the leather interior as standard?

• Platinum Member

Hi, everything I have was standard, the wheels and full leather heated seats.

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours when you get it.