JK 08 Electrical Issues

Paul C

• Platinum Member

Hi all, first time posting on the forum and I have to confess it's because I have an electrical fault on my 08 JK Wrangler.

When I switch on the ignition or start the jeep the lights come on (when they are actually switched off) and none of the functions work on the storks, ie lights won't switch off, indicators don't work, fog lights don't work, dimmer doesn't work, not even  the wipers!.

I have checked all the associated wires and plugs and have even dismantled the entire handbrake consul to check under there as the brake cable was worked on recently. I think it could be the light switch but would that affect the wipers? I've also checked the fuses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Platinum Member

I had on 07 JK a few years back. From what I can remember, everything electrical is software controlled. Maybe the old computer fix of 'turning it off and on again' may do the trick. Disconnect the battery and then try starting the Jeep. Reconnect the battery and then start it again to see if the fault has gone.

Make sure you can reset your radio with the correct code before you try this.

• Platinum Member

I had the same sort of problem on my 09 JK both storks did not work and lights and wipers would turn on and off as they pleased.

Dealer found the problem in the end it was a BUS control module in one of the storks. The reason they both play up is one is linked to the other. Sorry can not remember which side it was tho.

Hope it helps.

• Platinum Member

Many thanks for the replies.

I did try the battery disconect method a couple of times but no change. I'm going for a replacement headlight stork.

It's the wiper stork that appears to get its power via a small wire  link from the headlight stork, I think that's why the wipers don't work either. I'm making an assumption when the light stork fails the the brain puts the lights on in case its been driven at night, I hope!

I will get one on order Tuesday.

• Platinum Member

That was a good link. I did find those earths and did tighten them but no change. I will check them again. It also showed me how to spell stalks. To replace them is a vey simple to do providing you have a torx driver, I will post details later.

• Platinum Member

Problem solved - Replaced the Headlight stalk costing £114 from Horsham Jeep Center

This is any easy fix that should only take about 15 minutes. But, you will need a T15 Torx Screw Driver.

1. Remove the three Torx Screws from the cover under the streering column switches. The top and lower covers should seperate to reveal the stalks.

2. Disconnect the the plug at the rear and the one at the front of the switch.

3. Remove the singe Cross Head Screw on the left of the switch and the switch will be free to remove.

4. Reverse the process, job done.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the useful  write up

Was interested as about 18 months ago I had a 15amp fuse go on my near side  side / tail lights for no apparent reason then it happened on the offside ones a couple of months back.

After travelling  back in very wet, foggy conditions along the old Roman military road B6318 last night with an amount of light stalk use with fog lights etc arriving back home a neighbour  who was following me back on the estate, pointed out that both my rear lights were out,  but my brake lights were operating ?

Switched off the headlights to check the front side lights were on (thinking fuses again) and they were OK as were the rear lights !

So now wondering if the light stalk is causing intermittent issues or could it be the clock spring as there a warranty out on this if there is proven problems.

JK's a 2007 build registered 2009 with 75,000 miles

• Platinum Member

It could be a possibility, the stalk does contain a PCB that would appear to control everything stalk related. My one did fail a couple of weeks previous and then mysteriously started working again after a few days before finally gave up.