Today I have my first flat battery

jasonb

• Platinum Member

Hi Guys well today is the day my optima yellow top battery finally after nine years gave up the fight! What do you think would be the best replacement another yellow top or is there anything better I can get before next weekend as I don't use my jk through the week but need it over the bank holiday.

I think this has been a post before so apologies for the repeat.

• Platinum Member

I like Odyssey batteries, I have bought three. They are expensive and good but they are certainly not indestructible. Someone in my family didn't quite shut the rear hatch properly on my Jeep and a week later I found the Odyssey battery completely discharged. It had been snowing that week and was cold. The battery never recovered to a reliably usable state. I recharged it using an AccuMate Pro charger and it would start the engine but it would go flat again within three days.

If you got 9 years of service from your Odyssey I would say that was good and maybe you should consider replacing them like with like.

Don't buy a calcium battery unless your Jeep was originally equipped with one. Despite what battery retailers claim, calcium batteries are not suitable as direct replacements for conventional antimony lead acid batteries unless the vehicle is used daily. If the vehicle is not used daily it will need a calcium battery compatible maintenance charger whenever the vehicle is not being used for more than a few days. I have bought five calcium batteries in the last two years that all have failed through irregular use (outside the terms of warranty). I have since found that the vehicle's alternator must charge at around 15.3v for a short period to prevent calcification of the plates. Alternator's for conventional lead acid batteries max out at 14.4v and cannot blast away the calcification. Battery manufacturer's love calcium batteries because they often fail just out of warranty and they can sell loads more of them to people that believe they are direct replacements.

• Platinum Member

I would stick with a yellow top, I tried fitting a odyssey in my JK diesel, but because of the shape of the battery tray, the terminals ended up millimeters from the bonnet, so I took it back and bought a yellow top. also the price of yellow tops has come down a lot, only 168 GBP now including delivery from Tayna batteries.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies, well I charged it all day yesterday and this morning it barely lit up the dash so it's going to have to be a new one. If I bought a yellow top again do I ask for a 65ah as that's what's fitted but the only problem is that the ones I have seen for sale are either 55ah or 75ah any ideas?

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies, well I charged it all day yesterday and this morning it barely lit up the dash so it's going to have to be a new one. If I bought a yellow top again do I ask for a 65ah as that's what's fitted but the only problem is that the ones I have seen for sale are either 55ah or 75ah any ideas?

this is what you should have fitted.

Optima Yellow Top Battery YTS 5.5 (8051-187) (BCI D31) YTS5.5 AGM 1 £168.22

• Platinum Member

That's exactly what I have Martin. I will order one tomorrow and hopefully it will be here in-time and fitted for the weekend.

I have read on previous posts that when disconnected the radio/nav does not loose any info and does not need a code to restart so that sounds easy. Hope so.

Thanks again to you all for the replies.

• Platinum Member

you will have no problems with the radio / nav codes, just be carefully lifting the battery out, they are very heavy, I usually carefully put my bonnet all the way over and rest it on a cloth on the windscreen surround, makes access a lot easier.