Jeep ownership in Germany sucks!

luke0196

• Platinum Member

Well, yet more obstacles I've discovered to Individualising your Jeep in Germany!

It appears pretty much everything has to be TÜV approved!

It looks like I will be looking at an expensive 2.5" AEV lift kit with a distributor that will issue a TÜV certificate, or a 2" Trailmaster Combat kit by Maas which comes with a cert as standard. Don't know much about that company? They are the only TÜV approved kits I can find?

Have you seen the bumper selection by the way?

I haven't! [emoji23][emoji23]

You can get the AEV premium bumper, but then you have to fit the pedestrian protection mod for an extra €280.

Don't move to Germany! [emoji23]

Rant over!

Have a nice day peeps! [emoji846]

14ab747af0ebfd9f4abbdb5212dc6455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

I am sure you can find Koni & Bildstein & Eisbach lift kits for your JK all TUV approved and possibly better than AEV ones. Just keep looking around. As for the bumpers good luck that is the same in most other EU countries, but there is always another way it just takes time. Good luck and enjoy the Schwarzwald.

• Platinum Member

I've seen a Bildstein kit. It is pretty much an AEV kit, looks to have the same dampers, same price too.

Koni have nothing for newer

JKU's on their site.

I have however seen that Pro-Comp are TÜV approved for some of their kits.

Anyone have any experience with the 2.5" Pro-Comp lift kit with MX6 dampers, or the 2" Trailmaster Combat kit by Maas?

I'm just after a decent TÜV approved kit for daily use and to go on the odd adventure, not looking to create a globe trotting overlander.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Trailmaster have an excellent reputation on other 4x4, no doubt they will be as good for JKU. Pro Comp also very good but the quality has let them down over the years.

• Platinum Member

As you know, in Germany is not only about the kit. Actually, as you allude to, is all about installation and paperwork - good old German style!.

There are plenty of kits out there. Check the ASP website - will post the link later - I am sure you will find something you like and can afford!

By the way, there are countries in EU where you can't even have a steel bumper, so for 280 Euros, the TUV approved AEV premium bumpers is not a bad option. Also don't forget to look out for tyres. You will need a snowflake marked tyre OR 2 sets of wheels, one of which with winter tyres. And yes, there are mandatory dates 2x a year to exchange the tyres. Hefty fines if you don't...

Uber alles!

• Platinum Member

Yeah,

I know ASP-Eberle. Cost isn't too much of a problem, it's dodging stuff past the Mrs! lol

But I did think €280 for a piece  of plastic was expensive??

Lots of German companies sell all the usual kit you can get in the States and everywhere else, just in the small print you read .. 'Achtung ohne TÜV'

'Warning without TÜV'

Or strictly for off road use only!

The police here can ask for TÜV paperwork for mods. They carry guns and pepper spray and don't have a sense of humour so I'm not risking it! lol

As far as tyres go I've lived here quite a few years, and we change our cars every year too (apart from the Jeep, that's a keeper!) so it does cost us a few bob!

Fines aren't too bad €40 from the local stadt (town police). Can just be a problem if you cause an accident that would have been avoided if winter tyres were fitted.

Gonna go on the German forum and see what the best winch bumper will be.... No doubt AEV premium with pedestrian cover!! lol

Still deciding on Trailmaster or Pro-Comp though [emoji848]

Danke

• Platinum Member

ASP is very overpriced compared to other outfits that can supply.

They carry great stock, but their markup is outrageous for some items.

• Administrators

Bilstein shocks on the AEV kit are tuned to AEV requirements.Chris Wood from AEV was over last year and did a talk on AEV products and how ex Chrysler engineers designed the suspension kit. They also used the Auburn Hills test track !  I run the 4.5" Dual Sport on my Rubicon and as a Daily driver and now cover 24k in 12 months can vouch for the set up as a great all round choice! The 4.5 with 37's is awesome but would recommend the AEV 3.5 kit with 35" tyres is most likely the best set up for day to day ( Carparks ). 2.5 kit is great but 3.5 works better if you are adding ALL the AEV goodies + winch in my experience.