WHAT was I thinking ??...........

TimC

• Platinum Member

Had a recent aberration.... :icon_geek:.....

Was browsing the internet, as you do, looking for any interesting stuff I might "need" for the jeep and came across a site selling AEV procal modules for £125.00 ( which should have started the alarm bells ringing I know  :icon_rolleyes: ) Before I knew it and without checking anything I had thought "Bargain!" whacked it in the shopping basket and promptly paid for it.  Only later did the brain catch up and digging a bit deeper the apparently kosher UK site looks like a decidedly dodgy Chinese site. So now I'm expecting that, if it arrives at all, this will not be a genuine AEV procal but a Chinese knock off copy. Does anyone know if there is a good way of telling the genuine article for an AEV procal?

Cheers

• Administrators

Had a recent aberration.... :icon_geek:.....

Was browsing the internet, as you do, looking for any interesting stuff I might "need" for the jeep and came across a site selling AEV procal modules for £125.00 ( which should have started the alarm bells ringing I know  :icon_rolleyes: ) Before I knew it and without checking anything I had thought "Bargain!" whacked it in the shopping basket and promptly paid for it.  Only later did the brain catch up and digging a bit deeper the apparently kosher UK site looks like a decidedly dodgy Chinese site. So now I'm expecting that, if it arrives at all, this will not be a genuine AEV procal but a Chinese knock off copy. Does anyone know if there is a good way of telling the genuine article for an AEV procal?

Cheers

Most likely the plastic moulding quality will give it away ! 

• Platinum Member

I have a chinese "Barbour" hat that my wife got me, pretty much in a situation like you just described and I hope your China Procal is not like that hat...

• Platinum Member

I have a chinese "Barbour" hat that my wife got me, pretty much in a situation like you just described and I hope your China Procal is not like that hat...

Think your fake hat may turn out to be more use than my fake procal Hugo................  :icon_cry:

• Administrators

Here's a few pic's of the genuine Procal! If it's fake don't plug it in ! You could fry the ECM ££££

IMG_9092.thumb.jpg.23ea84c73d0c7ccc6fbf6f2d0e3161e9.jpg

IMG_9093.thumb.jpg.b8920e00a56d1856929f9b80ffe3bf00.jpg

IMG_9094.thumb.jpg.ada18d9c4aea39fa9b656049afdfda32.jpg

IMG_9095.thumb.jpg.ab435ce2a847bd9a05280ebafdc0e53b.jpg

IMG_9096.thumb.jpg.7b870fba3b2f6356cca1e5e473c0c01c.jpg

IMG_9098.thumb.jpg.536c1feaca9205f9d10dcb9cd50b9d5a.jpg

IMG_9099.thumb.jpg.e31f426977a5a679284c8aceb2fccf8b.jpg

IMG_9100.thumb.jpg.24b99f0b3ecb0a05a39e5077b550d577.jpg

• Platinum Member

Well, the PROCAL arrived Today, very prompt no issues with delivery. Packaging all looks OK , Contents look OK, manuals look to be good quality and OK although the QRG doesn't have the VIN reset that yours has Stewart. The module itself looks OK inside and out. Only one thing suspicious was that the antistat bag had been opened so not factory sealed. It also has a QC code number stamped on it that yours doesn't have Stewart and the inside of the case has a made in China stamp, but that could just be the plastic case itself which AEV buy in. If it is a fake it's a very convincing one.

However, checking the AEV website the good people there actually have a section called "counterfeits", no PROCALs listed but I sent off an email with all the details and we'll see what they have to say. Watch this space...............

• Administrators

Only thing AEV have Made in China are their Wheels the USA now have no low volume producers thanks to Chinese government subsidies wiping out the competition !

• Platinum Member

So the verdict is in ....... It's a fake  :icon_cry:  the old adage " if it looks too good to be true then it probably is"  applies here. So, anyone who's looking for a genuine AEV Procal should avoid eobdtool.co.uk selling what looks a very genuine copy at £125.00. I did contact them about it and they aren't even trying to pretend it isn't a copy, their response was along the lines of....' we never said it was genuine, what did you expect for that price' The first part of which is complete BS, the second part I suppose I have to admit they have a point. The irony is, since the Chinese are very good at reverse engineering electronics, that is probably is a fully working copy but I daren't risk it.

Anyway, on the plus side AEV in the US have been absolutely first class in their customer service, they've been helpful, knowledgeable, responsive and considering it's not their problem or their fault, very generous in helping me get it sorted. I have a suspicion that JOC contacts may have helped a bit here as well so Cheers to Stewart for that unexpected club benefit.  :great: 

• 1 year later...

I think I may have bought the same thing, probably should have read this thread before I installed it...

From the photos posted , its hard to differentiate between the two - perhaps AEV do now manufacture in China?  Anyway I plugged it in, just for tyre size (33" - actual size 31.5") and the change is significant.  Mostly on gear changes, where previously the auto box was indecisive - hanging between gears with poor pick up when accelerating.

So, it works and hasn't fried the ECU, thank god.  Not making a recommendation, as I could just have been lucky.

P_20170922_155212_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.bade16949214be549fb044ac4a06abfd.jpg

P_20170922_155245_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.707e271f6fab07c4ae95cd421c6dc779.jpg

P_20170922_155217_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.6f26afa2fd852c65ef5475cf2c52ffb9.jpg

P_20170922_155229_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.c583b86827e3063727737567ccba399e.jpg

• Platinum Member

Matt,

If your procal came from eobdtool.co.uk or if the plastic case has "made in China" stamped on the inside then it definitely is a fake. I'm glad to hear that yours works OK, if yours is the same as the one I got then it is probably a very very good fake, the quality of the packaging was very good and it looked exactly like the real thing. I always suspected that, given how good the Chinese are with reverse engineering electronics it would probably have worked fine too but  I never tried mine as I wasn't prepared to take the risk. At the end of the day though if it works then it works, all good.  :great:

Starting to worry.  It was £140, so not really that much of a saving.  Onto PayPal now to sort. Thanks for your advice guys.

Alex, I'll PM you, may need you to make a delivery to me at Aldermaston.. 

That's the last time I browse jeep stuff after a few shandies!