Petrol vs. Diesel

Chris_Cousins_

• Platinum Member
Chris_Cousins_

My Mrs. bought an XJ 60th anniversary new in 2001 and we still have it. We bought another virtually identical one earlier this year and are enjoying owning two. BUT......

When mine went in for MOT recently the loan car was a 4.0 petrol XJ and we both liked it.

I've sort of decided to sell "mine" and get a petrol. We've watched the 60th anniversary prices off and on over the years but there aren't all that many around at the moment (one petrol one in the classified section here and on eBay). 

Over the years I've owned something like 100 cars and I've found by far the best selling experience is to enthusiasts who know what they are looking at (and for) and what things are worth.

So learned friends, what's an XJ 60th Anniversary 2.5 TD with 93,000 miles and a full MOT worth?

a0a0521d692ad277eb1bafc3a0eb274a.jpg

• Platinum Member

Very difficult question to answer really, but your best guide will be the asking prices of similar condition and mileage 2.5 TD's of Limited / Classic spec.

I never got on at all with my briefly owned 2.5TD but I'm a confirmed fan of the 4.0.

• Platinum Member

I have a 4.0L 60th XJ. I chose a 4.0L because I hated the manual transmissions that Jeep used back then. I also prefer an automatic transmission for offroad use. I am intrigued why you would want to change from the diesel to the petrol model after having the diesel for so long.

Is it the auto transmission?

The 242 transfer case?

Or the grunt of the six cylinder petrol engine?

• Platinum Member
Chris_Cousins_

I am intrigued why you would want to change from the diesel to the petrol model after having the diesel for so long.

We'll be keeping the diesel one we bought new and (maybe - see below!) selling the other one.

The noise/performance is the main factor (I've had a few Italian cars...) but the auto gearbox is an attraction too. 

I'm selling my Alfa 166 3.0 auto, owned for 9 years, so we might end up with three XJs. 

Watch the classifieds for an ad in the next few days....