What Android GPS software for laning without network comms?

V

• Platinum Member

I have the waypoints for a lot of green lanes that I have driven over the years stored in Garmin Mapsource files. I am looking for an Android based GPS navigation program that is good enough for green laning, turn by turn navigation and can save waypoints and route plot with them. Software that relies on downloading map tiles on the fly is pointless in Wales. I need something that I can download map tiles in advance and save them in local storage. Anyone have any opinions based on apps they have already used similarly?

I use multi map , great but costly for maps. Works fine without network as long as you've planned ahead and downloaded the routes and maps ahead of leaving home otherwise you'll need 3/4g :great:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

I have just installed 'OS Map Finder' from Ordnance Survey on Google Play Store. I just launched it and it is chugging through downloading 350MB of low res map tiles for offline use. I think it works like some sort of map browser but when you want to zoom in for detail an in-app purchase is required to get the OS Landranger or Explorer map tile.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

I bought a copy of OsmAnd+ which does do what I need although I don't like the internationalisation of British byways into other road types. I can add byways to my own maps but the software just keeps crashing on my hardware and is practically useless because of this.

Back to looking for something else.

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

I use Memory Map. Expensive initially (£100 for all of GB) but that gives you the software to run on Windows so you can plot your routes in comfort in the winter and a licence for up to 5 devices for your maps. The Android app is good and I use it on a Samsung Galaxy tablet when I'm out.

MM is available for £60, but then you need to download tiles for off road use which I found to be a bit of a PITA.

• Platinum Member

Also, take a look at Viewranger. Been using it for years.

Don't think there's a single 'off-road' OS map app that has turn by turn navigation though.

• Platinum Member

Not yet. I bought a sand blaster this month. I am trying to find out what the navigation software is and where the maps come from.