Mid Wales late August or early September

V

• Platinum Member

I am thinking about a weekend day or two day expedition in mid Wales sometime towards the end of August or beginning of September. Not sure where exactly yet as I haven't been exploring for a while. I'm happy enough to have up to three more Jeeps join us so that we can keep the convoy size down to five vehicles.

I will probably give the Rights of Way departments a call to find out what lanes are closed and what lanes to avoid, but I won't recce any beforehand. Part of the fun of exploring is dealing with the unknown as it happens. I haven't done Strata Florida in a long while and would like to do it again if the prior rainfall isn't heavy. This won't be an organised trail ride, I will expect you to take the lead and tail-gun positions at least once. We will rotate often so everybody gets a chance to open and close gates, read maps wrong or screw up GPS coordinates.

If you are interested, and/or have a suggestion for somewhere in the area that you think we should include, let me know.

• Platinum Member

Hi Vincent,

Welcome on board to the JOC.

Hope to meet up at a future event.

Jim

• Platinum Member

hi Vincent welcome to the club , sounds like a fun few days your planning should get some takers for that  :wav2

• Platinum Member

I sorted my Ordnance Survey map collection out last week and found that I still have most of my marked up maps. However, I have just realised that my waypoints are all in Garmin Mapsource files and I'm going to have to get that running on a seldom used Windows 10 netbook. I don't use Windows anymore as it make me angry. I will get the maps out on Sunday and start working on some route ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi Vincent,

sounds a good trip and would be interested but August and September completely booked for me now. Hope you get some takers.

Cheers

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

This months (Sept 2016) issue of Total Off Road magazine has an excellent road book in it for Powys if that's any help.

• Platinum Member

if what is being planned can be done in a standard JK, I'd be interested.  As with Tim, I'm pretty much booked until mid October. 

Let's hope we have an indian summer and the weather is still good enough to camp out in October

• Platinum Member

I think August is unlikely now, aiming for some time in September. I've got a fair bit of work to do on my Jeep, not all for the MoT, but stuff that I have wanted to get done for a long time. If I don't get it done this summer I'm going to regret it over the winter.

• Platinum Member

This months (Sept 2016) issue of Total Off Road magazine has an excellent road book in it for Powys if that's any help.

Thanks.

I usually get my copy at the local supermarket but it wasn't on there shelf at the weekend. I will see if I can find a copy tomorrow.

• Platinum Member

Yes Stew, you know me from way back. Will let you know as soon as my Jeep has passed the MoT.