Time for a new tent

SavMan

• Platinum Member

Have several tents that have been purchased over the last 15 years several 3/4 person tents and a 6 person family tent. None of them expensive but when pitched right they have so far never let us down. However we have several trips planned over the next 15 months including Pyrenees, Alps, Morocco, Croatia and Serbia. In addition will have several UK trips during this time.

So here's my dilemma most stays will be 1 to 2 nights before moving on with a few 3 to 4 day stays. We estimate more than 75 nights we will be putting the tent up so speed of putting and packing up is one of our main criteria.

Have ruled out a roof top tent as the roof rack will be used for storage on these trips (and it also has our spare wheel on). Don't really want a trailer although we haven't ruled it out.

So here's our criteria

Fast to put up and down most of the time by 1 person

Room enough for 4 people but most of the time will be just 2

Small pack size

Big enough to take 2 camp beds/stretchers

Looking at the following

Tips style (Tentipi or Helsport)

Oztent (and other frame style tents)

Australian style tourer tents (Southern Canvas or Freedom)

Dutch style pyramid tents (Esvo or De Waard)

South African style dome tents (campmor etc)

Really don't know which way to go so would appreciate any guidance from anyone that has experience of any of the above.

• Platinum Member

So I can only really comment on the Tentipi, as that's the only one in your list that I've used, and my other options are probably too small (I like the Hilleberg tents)

We have so far used a variety of the Tentipi tent sizes in Norway (in winter) Greenland and Iceland. They look like a bit of a nightmare to setup, but actually with the template they give, its really quite a fast setup - pop the pegs in where the template says, lie the tent on the floor and hook over pegs, then shove the big pole up the middle and all done! It is fairly easy as a one man job (even the 15man one), and tons of space inside, even with the wood burner/stove.

The stove was a great addition to the tent, really keeps it warm, even in the coldest places - I've seen lots of people on here posting about the joys of the log burners, so I'm sure I don't need to argue this point too much. Again, the burner is easy to setup.

Packing wise, the 9man tent we have with us at the moment is about the size of a full size backpack, but is quite heavy, so its not quite as portable as some other options, but depends how much space you have I suppose.

attached, picture of the 9man Tentipi setup in Iceland - a few days after we left a polar bear landed here from Greenland and was shot. Lucky escape!

Camping_at_Skaggy_Peninsula-0061.thumb.jpg.fab4cc4735ea4eaa727076a7699abe30.jpg

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback, the pack size for the 9 man is as big as we would want to go and many of the other options seem similar packed size once you add all the extras to have a liveable space as well. Actually hadn't considered getting a stove most of the camping will be in fairly warm climates

Sent from my Y635-L01 using Tapatalk

Just got a Helsport teepee 8 -10 man on Bob's recommendation. Lighter weight than the Tentipi (both in weight and hit to my pocket)

Goes up just the same as Harry said for the Tentipi and is easily a one man set up. When packed away is a bit smaller than the Tentipi due to the lighter fabric, payoff will be a shorter life span I expect.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f281453e26f691597b3df303b018ab3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.14cd3fc0f3b6ef3e6a0ba236ed393d6c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ace77d4dd09fed4b547c7dafa870e57.jpeg

• Platinum Member

Thanks Neal the Helsport packs way smaller than I thought it would. Be interesting to know what it's like during warm evenings that's something I struggle with more than cold. I'm fine as long as it doesn't go to much below -6C but struggle badly to sleep in a tent during warm weather.

Thanks Neal the Helsport packs way smaller than I thought it would. Be interesting to know what it's like during warm evenings that's something I struggle with more than cold. I'm fine as long as it doesn't go to much below -6C but struggle badly to sleep in a tent during warm weather.

Paul, we are out with it the weekend of the 6/7th Aug, so can report back as long as the UK weather gives us a nice weekend.

It has two low vents plus the top big vent so should be good.

• Platinum Member

Paul

What you need is The Escape Pod. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]174748c50feb07325b60bdb7a1afe183.jpg

In 2 people mode it is as simple as stop, open the door and get into a comfy bed[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest grey thunder

Hi bud ,, for what your looking to do with it I would go for the the tent tepee not the hellsport, I have both and yes the tent tepee is heavier it's more hardcore and will not rip as easy if you going to use it mountain conditions. All of the lower skirt will lift plus you have more vents than the hellsport

Down side is it heavier and more bulky but it's a better unit !!

• Platinum Member

Paul

What you need is The Escape Pod. [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]174748c50feb07325b60bdb7a1afe183.jpg

In 2 people mode it is as simple as stop, open the door and get into a comfy bed[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

It looks fantastic and witnessed how quick you were able to setup and leave. Biggest fear I have is if my XJ is up to pulling the trailer on trails and at altitude for long periods.

• Platinum Member

Oztent is a good piece of kit.  When packed it's long but relatively small cross section and light.  Just added sail track to the rack on the JK and with an Oz Caravan connector you get a water right deal with the tent.  And it goes up in seconds.  It stands up to anything the UK can throw at it.

• Platinum Member

Oztent is a good piece of kit.  When packed it's long but relatively small cross section and light.  Just added sail track to the rack on the JK and with an Oz Caravan connector you get a water right deal with the tent.  And it goes up in seconds.  It stands up to anything the UK can throw at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks I really like the look of the Oztent RV5, and the awning as standard is a real plus point for me. The ventilation looks good and setup (at least the main tent) looks a breeze.

Only challenge I can see is actual useable space, only video I could find with 2 camp beds in looked a very tight squeeze and actually looked as if you would have your head or feet against the slanted wall of the tent.

Have you had any issues with condensation?

• Platinum Member

Not in the RV4/RV5 chap; they are designed to take the Oztent Goanna stretchers (very comfy stretcher) front to back.  You can put one at each side leaving the centre free for a table.  We use the plastic imitation wolf boxes as tables (good modular storage and readily available for around £25 a pop).

Being able to stand upright is a real bonus and the high waist line of the tub means you will never have a water Ingres issue...even if you leave the doors open (don't ask me how I know :))

The Oz can be susceptible to wind but only if you don't pitch it properly.  We use good quality rock pegs combined with the (excellent quality) supplied pegs.  We have pitched in places where standard Tents really struggle and the Oz stays solid - it will struggle though in extreme conditions (as will any large non high alt / trekking / expo tent though)

Putting the sides and front on is a bit of a PITA and only really necessary in truly grim weather - I prefer alfresco with the basic awning fixed to the truck, taught it gives just enough rain cover.  On the Lakes trip it gave great cover even when it royally peed down.

As a ground tent I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them - I hate Tents but like the Oz, it's THE easiest and quickest optionThey really are as good as the hype (even though I have gone back to a RTT).

Boab usually have an RV4 set up in their warehouse.  Chris is a sound Ausie; he is a very experienced and sharp and an overland travel expert (genuinely is an expert) - call him and have a chat (also happy to chat if you want to give me a call)

• Platinum Member

You will get issues with condensation but they are little more than an inconvenience - single skin tents will always give you that problem.  Get a standard size microfibre towel and keep it stuffed in one of the side pockets when set up.  It generally falls to the rear upper frame cross member.  A quick wipe when you wake and it's done.

Or as I do, knock the roof of the tent immediately over your sleeping wife.  Great fun :).

Seriously though, not worth worrying about.  The ability to stow the tent in the peeing rain in under a minute with the tent remaining dry inside is the bees danglies.

• Platinum Member

It looks fantastic and witnessed how quick you were able to setup and leave. Biggest fear I have is if my XJ is up to pulling the trailer on trails and at altitude for long periods.

I doubt that the XJ would even know it is there. With the roof tent on it weighs 750kg.

That said I am looking to upgrade the sides with some heavy duty rock sliders which will add some weight.

I towed it through Strata Florida so it should go just about any where.

• Platinum Member

Still not decided but have narrowed it down.

Discounted the following

Dutch style pyramid tents they look rock solid but setup and take down not ideal due to amount of pegs needed look a good buy for longer stays.

South African canvas dome tents looks like a 2 person setup and even with 2 people watched several videos where the people putting them up look like they needed a rest straight after.

Oztent / Frame style not keen on the pack size, not particularly big when put up and wouldn't want a busted frame however unlikely to call a trip short.

So narrowed it down to either tipi style and the Australian style touring tents. Both look fast and easy to put up solo and such a simple design with a single pole that repairs while away would be very straight forward.

Favourite's right now are Tentipi and Southern Cross Canvas

• Platinum Member

I like my Quechua 2 Seconds Base:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-pop-up-camping-shelter-id_8208602.html

plus inner tent / bedroom:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-camping-shelter-inner-tent-id_8057319.html

I use 2 units joined together, one with the bedroom inner, and one as the dinning area (for when it's raining).

Very quick to put up, and quicker to stow away than many of the pop-up tents (after a bit of practice). 

Sadly, I'll be putting my kit up for sale soon, as I begin the process of downsizing my possessions prior to emigrating.

tent.JPG.d0426f66b577806257619bb626316853.JPG