Commander - discuss.

Iain CDM

• Platinum Member

I've always liked the look of the Jeep Commander and I recently read a favourable Honest John review, but I wondered what they are like long term and what the general view on them is. I note they were made between 2006 and 2010 but I only see 2006 and 2007 models for sale and I was wondering why this is? Do Jeep dealers work on them and is spares availability ok? Any background info on them would be much appreciated. Thanks, Iain.  :icon_bounce:

• Platinum Member

hi there . ive owned 2007 plate commander since it was 16 months old and it ticks all my boxes for comfort , reliability and its ability off road is just brilliant ,the 2007 model was the latest version in this country so if you can find a 2010 one it'll be the same as mine lol , this info was gained from westaways  jeep in Northampton when I bought mine . . mine has the 3.0 CRD  V6 merc engine in ( the reason I bought it ) a very quiet reliable lump for a diesel . as for spares all the parts that wear like brakes  /discs filters  etc can be bought at very reasonable prices , main dealers still work on them and will get the parts with no probs but heck they will charge through the nose for them so give them a wide berth , I was recommended to this guy . paul at pb customs who is 100% trustworthy , hope this helps you a little , but its like buying any car there's good ones and bad out there . :wav2

• Platinum Member

Iain

i have followed raiders commander around 3 off road trips this year and can say it is a beast off road as well as good on the road with little in the way of mods ..

like he says there is good and bad motors out there so make sure you give them a good looking at before handing over the cash.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated. Hopefully my XJ Orvis will soldier on for a while yet, but I can't help thinking about what will be a worthy replacement.

• Platinum Member

I bought a complete and utter lemon nearly 2 years 27 visits to the dealers and near 36 weeks off the road it's back to full strength .. many a times everyone told me to get rid and move on but they're an addictive machine and we've been trouble  free for over 9 months now  :glasses:

Makes me smile every time I  start her up ... not taken mine off road as yet but Snow Time there is nothing gets in it's way

IMGA0146-1_zpsjmqnwtia.jpg

IMGA0136-1_zpszhluju9a.jpg

Snow

jeep%20cover%20pic_zpsttpqphww.jpg

P1000059_7591_zps24rs3wdm.jpg

• Platinum Member

Nice pics but not hugely reassuring! Sounds like my mates' Land Rover and Range Rover stories. Glad you've got it sorted now.

• Platinum Member

Nice pics but not hugely reassuring! Sounds like my mates' Land Rover and Range Rover stories. Glad you've got it sorted now.

I was sold the Commander with service history when I received the handbook I found 1 stamp at 28k nothing before or after and I bought it with 74k on it .

If you're on facebook the story is here between a badly serviced Jeep and a Jeep dealer who lets say didn't really know what they were doing it was a catalogue of errors ... once I took charge and did my own research we made it right again 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/448040145334359/permalink/550268631778176/

• Platinum Member

Just read your saga - I'm surprised you stuck with the dealer as long as you did. I'd have been tempted to drive the car through their main showroom window. Well done for persevering and getting it sorted in the end.

• Platinum Member

It became an obsession in the end TBH, but I had to make it right I had to make it Mighty again :D